PDA

View Full Version : Ofsted Report makes me look incompetent!

grindal
03-08-2009, 08:02 AM
Hi all, have just got back from my holiday and yesterday finally got the chance to read my ofsted report from my inspection a couple of weeks ago. During the inspection my mindee had a scratch on her chest which she did in her sleep the day before. The inspector noticed when I was changing her and asked me what happened, and what I had done. Anyway, I did not fill in an accident report for the scratch and ended up with an action on my report as a result of it (which is gutting enough!). However, the report states that I failed to record an injury and the action says I need to keep an accident book with details of first aid treatments - which i do I just forgot to do this one. Anyway, it then goes on to say that my storage of multi cultural resources means that children are unable to access them for themselves. My mindee is 11 months old and at the time I discussed with the inspector that some of the games and puzzles were not appropriate for her so were kept out of the way, but that she could get to the dolls, musical instruments and cooking stuff. She has also complimented my communication with parents in my daily diary and then said that I need to develop ways to develop effective communication with parents.
Just wanted to have a bit of a moan really, i got good overall, and good in all categories except one, but it reads a bit like a catalogue of disasters to me :(

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 08:05 AM
Grindal, you know you can call and discuss your report content within 5 days of receipt. If you are unhappy you should speak to the inspector about this and discuss rewording it.

They pick up on the tiniest thing. I would not have recorded a scratch done during sleep especially if I did not administer first aid.

Good luck

Hebs
03-08-2009, 08:06 AM
During the inspection my mindee had a scratch on her chest which she did in her sleep the day before. The inspector noticed when I was changing her and asked me what happened, and what I had done. Anyway, I did not fill in an accident report for the scratch and ended up with an action on my report as a result of it (which is gutting enough!). However, the report states that I failed to record an injury and the action says I need to keep an accident book with details of first aid treatments - which i do I just forgot to do this one.

:panic:

OMG i wouldn't class a scratch as an accident :(
if i filled in an accident form each time my mindees got a scratch it would be full :o
Fair enough a fall that draws blood or a bump etc but a scratch???

helenlc
03-08-2009, 08:08 AM
I would ring and discuss your concerns with your Inspector.

It sounds harsh that she made comment about your multi cultural resources being out of reach when you had discussed the reasons for this with her.

I got Good overall last year but still found gripes with mine. Its up to you in regards to whether you want to accept what it says or argue some comments.

georgie456
03-08-2009, 08:18 AM
I would definitely call Ofsted to discuss this.

As another poster said, if I recorded every single scratch, I would go through an accident book a month! That seems a bit unreasonable to be honest. That is the kind of thing I would be mentioning to a parent verbally, or writing in the daily diary at the most.

As for the multicultural resources, she clearly hasn't reflected the information you gave her correctly.

Let us know what happens if you do contact them x

wendywu
03-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Any expensive multi cultural resources i have only come out under supervision anyway. The same with my disability toys. My cheap buys well fair enough.

I mean this morning i put out 3 brand new etch a sketch. Already one is broken :angry:

So if they think that i am going to let children do what they want and help themselves to £60. dolls and £30. costumes they can think again.

But my inspector was fine when i explained this.

I would ask her to re word your report. Or get the tipex out :thumbsup:

sweets
03-08-2009, 08:42 AM
i don't think that children should have free access to every toy! mine would have a field day, if theres too much out they don'y play with it and just flit from one thing to another. my house is not very big so we just get a few toys out and i change them if asked. i have actually got a lock on my book cupboard as its within reach of a n18mnth old who just stands at it and gets the lot out and throws them on the floor, so i just get a few out in the morn and lock the cupboard!

grindal
03-08-2009, 08:43 AM
Thanks guys
I e mailed them yesterday - I just find it disappointing that she seems to have failed to include so much of the good practise I do, and has picked up on these trivial things. To be honest I wonder how much of the report is already written before the inspection is done. I had mentioned a lack of multi cultural resources on my SEF, but had got a load of stuff from sons playgroup. So, I had it, but it seems almost as if she wanted to criticise me for multi cultural resources and as I had them she decided to criticise the way I stored them (which is another contadiction as she praises the organisation of my resources earlier in the report). If they do not get back to me today i will phone tomorrow. Honestly, if I read my report as a parent I would not want me to look after a child :(

mum26
03-08-2009, 09:08 AM
That's so disappointing, especially when she was very positive when she was with you. I don't blame you for getting back in touch with Ofsted and putting your case. Trouble is it's all very well for Ofsted to give us all these rules but in reality some of them just don't work with the children! I definitely could not have all resources available to the young children all the time-especially as all 3 are just 2 years old! It would be bedlam - one of them just wants to clear the shelves but not actually play with anything! I would also not let them have free access to paints etc-I have to live here after the children have gone home.

I hope you manage to get your report changed to accurately reflect your setting.

grindal
03-08-2009, 09:25 AM
Well, I have a reply from ofsted saying that they have received my e mail and someone from the relevant dept will be in touch.
Thanks again for the replies!

Daftbat
03-08-2009, 11:11 AM
Let us know what the result is. Keep your chin up though - we all know how differently some inspectors look at things. It sounds like you have a valid argument and will hopefully get some redress.

uf353432
03-08-2009, 12:06 PM
I am in a similar boat - my inspection report had 2 things which when worded seemed worse than they were and even though the report was a largely glowing reference of my service - the very last sentance was negative - leaving a lasting negative impression.

I emailed them back and argued one of the points they had pulled me up on - I was not able to on the day because I was caring for the children - but I explained in full why I felt it was an unfair comment. The other one was factually accurate on the day - but to make a comment about it as the very last thing on my report was unfair - so I have asked them to swap the last 2 sentances around. Its going to be with me for 3 yrs after all.

Thing is - everyone who read my report thought it was really good - its just that I am my biggest critic and the only thing I can see is 2 very minor things.

Chatterbox Childcare
03-08-2009, 01:51 PM
I think the only advice I can offer is some given to me by the Director of Social Services before Ofsted

"they are not your employers, work together and come to an amicable agreement on any disagreements"

At the end of the day if you are not happy you can appeal and they will send someone else to you.

Chimps Childminding
03-08-2009, 03:32 PM
I get the impression that Ofsted only pick you up on the things you aren't doing, not what you are doing well. During my inspection she never got off her seat except to inspect the downstairs bathroom. Never checked garden, toys in the toy shed, wendy house etc.

I also wouldn't put anything in the accident book as trivial as a scratch and my lo's don't have access to ALL the toys ALL the time, god it would look like a bomb site within seconds :laughing:

Tatjana
03-08-2009, 04:41 PM
I'm sorry this has upset you, I think it would to alot of people.

Oddly enough I have read glowing reports and then they have been graded with satisfactory, very confusing!

I hope you get it resolved. :)

xx

jeanybeany
03-08-2009, 05:42 PM
I use to have 3-4 tall four drawer storage chests in the conservatory with lots of different toys etc in them , until I had one child that would pull every single drawer out, tip it up and move on, never playing with anything! I tried lots of methods to stop it but eventually got fed up of it and shipped them all out, plus it's my main lounge and I constantly felt at work. Now I rotate all toys. I would not have been happy about the multicultural toys comment and think Ofsted sometimes forget that we are in OUR homes and sometimes it's not pratical to have free access to all resources, not to mention the cost of constantly replacing them.

Be happy with your good grade, I got that for my inspection and I had that the children didn't know what was expected of them behaviour wise. He forgot to mention that my daughter hated men and was mortified by him, my 1 year old son was breast fed and wanted a feed to goto sleep (which I just couldn't do with him watching my every mood and mindee would not goto sleep as he just wasn't use to people being with us and was just being nosey!
Everything I had explained.

But nevermind, hasn't impacted on me yet as I know of!