PDA

View Full Version : Heeeeellppppppp

estrelas
03-08-2009, 07:16 AM
You may remember me stressing about taking on a 4 month baby,

All my mindees are older,so i wasn't sure I could take her
Anyway works out fine as its term time only and school hours so wont affect my time with them

Anyway i've done alot of settling in with her, shes lovely smiley, happy etc

Her mum is adammant she wants her too come here, the problem is she just will not have a bottle for me ! I have tried everything ! sitting in a different room from the others, facing her away from me, wearing her mums jumper :eek: :laughing:

I've tried getting her mum to give her less before she comes but she WILL NOT DRINK ARGGGGHHHHHHHH,

I want this sorting before I sign conracts,I'm not charging at the moment but that can't go on forever

Help,i admit I know nothing about babies and have been reading loads lol

Mollymop
03-08-2009, 07:24 AM
Oh dear. I have experience of my 2 children as little babies but that is about it and they were always good at taking their bottle, so I don't know really how to help.
She is 4 months so i guess they are weening her now, do youthink this might have something to do with it? I she eating too much before her bottle? Does she refuse her bottles with mum or is it just you she won't feed with?

Hope you get some help soonx

FussyElmo
03-08-2009, 07:25 AM
How long are your settling in periods for maybe she just is not hungry.

Is Mum concerned, how much does Mum she usually have!!!

Dont stress yet they could be a number of reasons.

My last dd wouls have 3 bottles from 6-11am and not have any again till 5-8 where she would have another three.

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 07:29 AM
I think you need to look at how much she is having through the day. Maybe she is having her full quota with mum?

I can't remember the amounts for a baby that small. I would wonder about dehydration though if she's not drinking all day. Does seem strange a baby that small would go all day with nothing.

Maybe mum could speak to health visitor.

estrelas
03-08-2009, 07:31 AM
Shes been here for about 4 hours each time, her mum has been coming around when shes actually due a feed, but she wont! the strange thing is shes never screaming hungry or anything

The problem is its only her mum thats ever fed her, her dad works away and apparently when he tries to feed her when he comes she wont take it :panic:

estrelas
03-08-2009, 07:32 AM
shes here today for half a day, till she drinks basically :)

Daftbat
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
I have had this problem a couple of times but its always been because the mum was breast feeding at the time. As a result i have vowed not to take on any baby who is not bottle feeding.

In your case as i understand it the bottle has already been introduced so its just stubborness on the part of the baby. Keep persevering, it will come in the end. If you worry about dehydration then try offering liquids off a spoon too.

Hebs
03-08-2009, 07:58 AM
just remember a baby will not starve itself :thumbsup:

just keep offering her it and she will eventually take it

helenlc
03-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Well, at least you know its not you if she doesnt take the bottle from Dad either.

Just persevere. Hope she takes some today.:thumbsup:

singlewiththree
03-08-2009, 08:39 AM
Could you try a different bottle with you? If she sees things are different with you so might feel better have a different bottle rather than a reminder of her mum?

Has she drank yet?

aly
03-08-2009, 08:42 AM
I would also try a spoon or a cup...something different to her bottle maybe?

Helen79
03-08-2009, 08:58 AM
I was going to suggest a different bottle aswell.
Is it the same temperature that her mum gives it to her?
I've found some babies to be really fussy with how hot they like to drink it.

Are you giving it to her at the time mum tells you to or when the baby is telling you that she's hungry?

mum26
03-08-2009, 09:17 AM
I did have a problem with a little one I used to mind. Mum was breastfeeding and she wouldn't take a bottle either. Very occasionally, I did manage to persuade her to drink something from a bottle, but she did tend to wait until she saw mum again. She did only tend to stay with me for short periods so I think it was a bit difficult to get into any routine with her-maybe when baby stays longer she will feed a bit better.

I know it has been suggested before but maybe just try a spoon or different teat. Would she take water if not keen on taking milk-maybe associates milk with mummy?

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 12:46 PM
some babies at 4 months can go up to 6 hours between feeds as far as I remember. I wouldn't even worry. They need to have as much as they need at each feed so I wouldn't try to reduce what mum is giving her but suggest to mum she can probably wait longer between feeds.

candy cat
03-08-2009, 02:29 PM
Hi! I take it the little girl has always been bottle fed????I breast fed until 9 months until going back to work and tried every bottle then i tried tommee tippee and bingo no worries to my relief.Also make sure same temp as mum gives as my daughter has formula room temp refuses it if warm.

I am sure she will get used to you and as someone else said a baby will tell you if it's hungry. good luck cx

Jellytotzjulia
03-08-2009, 02:46 PM
hi, i'm thinking the same as juggler, if she's only been with you for 4hrs each time maybe she's not hungry between then. Let her start contract & settle in properly sure she'll soon be feeding & drinking fine once in routine that works for both you, mum & baby.

Let us no how you got on today for half a day.

Julia:thumbsup:

estrelas
03-08-2009, 06:54 PM
well today was pretty much the same!!
She was well happy, towards the end i could tell she was starving but no joy!! wouldn't take it :panic: , she happily had solids but no milk or water, whenever i put the bottle near her she screamed and screamed

I'm going for a full day tomorrow with her, i am determined she will have it :angry:

But she was happy here, so i think we might get there

helenlc
03-08-2009, 07:22 PM
Could you not try one of the cups that are aimed at babies from that age? She might drink from that. She is obviously used to having the bottle off mum and no-one else, so maybe a cup would be better. Perhaps something like this:

http://www.kiddicare.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/productdisplayA_852_10751_-1_14052_80977_10001_14052#description_tab

Or:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Anywayup-Any-Way-Up-Cup-First-Baby-Child-4+M-PINK-x3-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQimsfpZTL090802132004r13110QQims xZ20090802QQitemZ320406919459QQsalenotsupported

I used the second one (Anyway up cup) with my daughter from just over 5 months.

Helen79
03-08-2009, 07:33 PM
if she's happy & not hungry without it then I wouldn't worry. Don't let it become a battle for you.

What solids is she having? if they're milk based like baby rice mixed with her formula then she'll be getting some milk.
Try mixing her rice really milky so it's really runny then she'll be taking more milk without realising.

Are you offering the food before her bottle? She may just be full up from the food.

You could also try giving her a bottle when she doesn't expect it, maybe go for a walk & offer her the bottle while you're at the park.

Good luck tomorrow. et us know how you get on.

estrelas
04-08-2009, 06:51 AM
Thanks for that advice girls

will let you know later xx

miffy
04-08-2009, 06:54 AM
Good luck today - hope you have more success.

Sounds like she's just being very stubborn but at least she's happy with it - she could be screaming the place down and refusing to drink! (sorry, just trying to be positive! :) )

Miffy xx

childmind04
04-08-2009, 07:19 AM
Good luck today - hope you have more success.

Sounds like she's just being very stubborn but at least she's happy with it - she could be screaming the place down and refusing to drink! (sorry, just trying to be positive! :) )

Miffy xx

:) that was my thought, i have had a few babies who would not take bottles but ate solids and drank water, i would try and relax too if she knows you are anxious she will make life harder ;)

Good luck with today :)

estrelas
04-08-2009, 11:47 AM
just popped on quickly

she drank it whoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :

how happy am I :laughing: :laughing:

only took 6 settling in days :eek:

catch ya later :laughing:

Helen79
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
well done :thumbsup:
Hoe you enjoy the rest of the day with ehr

Helen79
04-08-2009, 01:08 PM
forgot to ask, did you do anything differently with her?

SimplyLucy
04-08-2009, 02:11 PM
Well done, glad she took her bottle.

If anyone else has this problem then try a virtual no contact method.

You need to put the baby in a bouncey chair and hold the bottle for them, try not to make eye contact to begin with. Once they are drinking then begin contact with the baby, eye contact followed by holding hand then stroking cheek.

After a few days you'll be able to hold the baby and feed as normal with full contact and interaction.

It sounds like a harsh method but it works, I'v used it when settling babies into nurserys.

** PLEASE NOTE**

**I am not reccommending regular bottle feeding in a bouncey chair with no contact or interacting, this method is to be used to for a short settling period**

estrelas
04-08-2009, 04:37 PM
forgot to ask, did you do anything differently with her?

No just the same, she just gave up the fight i think,
She ended up having two bottles while here, i was nearly doing cartwheels :laughing: :laughing: