PDA

View Full Version : are we allowed?

Hebs
02-08-2009, 09:30 PM
To use those bike trailer things for mindees??

Twinkles
02-08-2009, 09:32 PM
Don't know , but I wanted to use one of those car trailer things for mine. The other minders wouldn't let me :(

miffy
02-08-2009, 09:33 PM
Don't know , but I wanted to use one of those car trailer things for mine. The other minders wouldn't let me :(

Methinks you are in holiday mode :rolleyes: ;) :laughing:

Miffy xx

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:40 PM
Sorry......Dont want to upset no one.........I hate them things. You see people on the road with them. If a car crashed into it the kids would have NO chance.

Twinkles
02-08-2009, 09:42 PM
Sorry......Dont want to upset no one.........I hate them things. You see people on the road with them. If a car crashed into it the kids would have NO chance.

Are you sure you're not wendywu in disguise ? She always goes off on one when she sees them :rolleyes:

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:44 PM
Are you sure you're not wendywu in disguise ? She always goes off on one when she sees them :rolleyes:

Hate the damn things with a passion!! should be :censored: Banned.

zillervalley
02-08-2009, 09:45 PM
dont know

wouldnt like them on the road though

I have seen people doen the prom at south sheilds before

ziller

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
They are ok around parks and things like that, but I have seen them on the road:eek: Makes my blood boil!

Hebs
02-08-2009, 09:48 PM
Oh gosh not on a road lol far too dangerous

We have a fair few cycle routes so would be for that

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Oh gosh not on a road lol far too dangerous

We have a fair few cycle routes so would be for that

Fine, but i not sure if we are allowed to use them:huh:

wendywu
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
Im sorry but they are so dangerous. How many times do you see a rear end shunt it is so common. If it was a small child in a bike trailer they would be dead.

The school i pick up from hires the blasted things out, to be green and keep cars off the road. I am just waiting for the inevitable accident to happen and i WILL say " i told you so"

Rant over.:angry:

sweets
02-08-2009, 09:50 PM
They are ok around parks and things like that, but I have seen them on the road:eek: Makes my blood boil!

i'm with you on this one!!! a lady near me does the school run with 2 LO's in back on a main road! the children look so vulnerable!!!

Great for somewhere like centre parks tho where there are no cars

Twinkles
02-08-2009, 09:51 PM
Im sorry but they are so dangerous. How many times do you see a rear end shunt it is so common. If it was a small child in a bike trailer they would be dead.

The school i pick up from hires the blasted things out, to be green and keep cars off the road. I am just waiting for the inevitable accident to happen and i WILL say " i told you so"

For now :D

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:55 PM

Cars have break lights, what do these aweful things have! NOTHING!

Hebs, I know you not thinking of using the road, but I just sooo hate these things.

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 09:57 PM
i'm with you on this one!!! a lady near me does the school run with 2 LO's in back on a main road! the children look so vulnerable!!!

Great for somewhere like centre parks tho where there are no cars

Abso.. flippin.. lutely..
Have you come to the conclusion yet that you have found my Pet Hate:D

sweets
02-08-2009, 10:04 PM
you sound as angry as your avatar looks! lol

But at least youve got one:angry:

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 10:06 PM

But at least youve got one:angry:

Soweee:blush: :blush: But i do hate them, will calm down now:D

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 10:07 PM

No My avatar is smiling:) :thumbsup:

sweets
02-08-2009, 10:09 PM
good grief if thats a smile........................................:eek: :eek:

ORKSIE
02-08-2009, 10:11 PM
good grief if thats a smile........................................:eek: :eek:

:ROFL1: :ROFL1: Its the best an Ork can do.

childmind04
02-08-2009, 10:21 PM
I dont think i would use one for mindees, although i did have the seat on the back of my bike for my own son :)

There are some lovely bike trails around here and they would be good for that but just think you cannot really keep a close eye on what they are doing in the back :panic:

I am just going on children i have looked after and i dont think you ever trust them as much as your own, or at least i dont :blush:

Cazz
02-08-2009, 10:32 PM
I have to agree and say that I think those bike trailers are downright dangerous.

I was behind one a couple of weeks ago whilst waiting to overtake and I commented on how low to the road it was and if a car couldn't slow down in time those two little children would be crushed or thrown out.

Dh just rolled his eyes at me as he thinks I'm a busybody when I make these comments but I can't help it - it's not right to put children at so much risk.

As for Ofsted - I don't know but I wouldn't think they would be that keen!

Carole x

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 07:30 AM

have to say much as I like cycling and it's health benefits I think these trailers should only be used in parks and off-road. It makes me feel sick when I think of the lo's so near the road. sorry!

flora
03-08-2009, 07:49 AM
oooooh golly,

what a reaction :eek:

do i dare tell you i have one :panic:

i have to say i have never felt vulnerable with the kids in the back, i have have used the seat on the back type and the trailer behind.

granted the roads around us are pretty quiet and i wouldn't take it in the middle of london's rush hour but i didn't expect such anti feeling towards them.

hebs i use mine for the school run with mindees in and i was told by my inspector that that was ok :thumbsup:

Hebs
03-08-2009, 07:55 AM
hebs i use mine for the school run with mindees in and i was told by my inspector that that was ok :thumbsup:

:thumbsup: Thanks Flora,

I actually prefer these trailers than the seats that go on the back,
and i'd would love a seat that goes in the front but with 2 mindees it is impossible :laughing:

it would be used for riding to the park, and the local farm all these can be reached without needing to use busy roads

ORKSIE
03-08-2009, 07:58 AM
it would be used for riding to the park, and the local farm all these can be reached without needing to use busy roads
:thumbsup: :)

Mollymop
03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I don;t like them either, they scare me. I think it is because you are so unattached from the child, you can't really see what they are up to in there and I wouldn't trust a child to be in one on their own.

little chickee
03-08-2009, 08:01 AM
I have a bike trailer and have used i since my youngest son was little - i have also used it for mindees confidently - i don't think using one is any more dangerous than a child seat on the back of a bike or pushing a buggy on the road. my CC officer is fine with it too.

The Juggler
03-08-2009, 08:09 AM
But in a buggy you are not on the road and they are not so low to the ground.

I admire all you cyclists out there but really think these should be banned from the general roads. How many cyclists at normal height get injured every day let alone lo's down on the ground where most 4x4 and lorries wouldn't see them. Sorry makes me shiver!!:panic:

little chickee
03-08-2009, 08:45 AM
I live on a country road with no pavements so i am on the road when out with the buggy. Mine is bright yellow with a bright orange flag , i wear hi- vis jacket when cycling so it easy to spot me.

i would not use it if i thought there was any risk to my own child, mindee or myself.

rachelle
03-08-2009, 04:09 PM
I used to take my twins to school in one - no direct bus, too far to walk one and push the other (wheelchair user) so the trailer it was! I rode on the pavement/cycle path though (I know I know, I hate pavement cyclists too) but had little choice!

Not sure I'd use one for mindees - not confident enough! It's handy for shopping though :D

LOOPYLISA
03-08-2009, 10:14 PM

I do agree :panic:

Lo0py
04-08-2009, 05:54 PM
But in a buggy you are not on the road and they are not so low to the ground.

I admire all you cyclists out there but really think these should be banned from the general roads. How many cyclists at normal height get injured every day let alone lo's down on the ground where most 4x4 and lorries wouldn't see them. Sorry makes me shiver!!:panic:

I'm imagine less cyclists and children in trailers get killed on UK roads then people driving cars/4x4 and lorries each day but they aren't banned.

Rather than dismissing trailers and cyclists, it would be more productive to encourage road safety of car drivers.

Daftbat
06-08-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm imagine less cyclists and children in trailers get killed on UK roads then people driving cars/4x4 and lorries each day but they aren't banned.

Rather than dismissing trailers and cyclists, it would be more productive to encourage road safety of car drivers.

I think this is an unfair argument as the numbers are cars/lorries etc are far in excess of cyclists. I don't think its down to the educating of car drivers particularly. What if debris from the road is flipped up by passing car and lorry wheels, not to mention the draft factors of these vehicles and exhaust fumes! An improvement in drivers road safety would have no impact on these factors.

I would suggest that the use of these cycle trailers be limited to off road cycle areas where everyone is safe. The children would also have something nicer than other vehicles to look at.

The Juggler
06-08-2009, 12:53 PM
I think this is an unfair argument as the numbers are cars/lorries etc are far in excess of cyclists. I don't think its down to the educating of car drivers particularly. What if debris from the road is flipped up by passing car and lorry wheels, not to mention the draft factors of these vehicles and exhaust fumes! An improvement in drivers road safety would have no impact on these factors.

I would suggest that the use of these cycle trailers be limited to off road cycle areas where everyone is safe. The children would also have something nicer than other vehicles to look at.

I totally agree

nannymcflea
06-08-2009, 01:17 PM
I know a cm who use 2, one for her and her assistant has one too. I'm not keen, like the idea but not the safety aspect, though as one cm said (sorry can't remember name) if you have no paths and are on the road with a buggy then this is probably safer as at least you are doing a speed rather than walking and are probably more visable.

Wouldn't use one myself as I'm not safe on a bike on my own.:laughing:

I know the cm has parental permission to use hers.

Hebs, if you're confident and it's a safe route then I think it's a lovely way to get around. Do be careful though.

Hebs
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
Hebs, if you're confident and it's a safe route then I think it's a lovely way to get around. Do be careful though.

oh yeah i'm confident on a bike :thumbsup:

just thought for the nicer days to be a good way of getting out without having to use the car,

we can also ride down the sea front too, got good cycle routes there :thumbsup:

ZoeAlli
06-08-2009, 01:34 PM

This is all very well if you live in an area where such facilities are available, adn I understand the points of view aired but what if you live in a rural area and want to cycle from one village/ town to another?
I have not ridden a bike for 10 years and would love to take children out using my bike instead of the car. I have a seat on the bike but do not feel confident using it because I feel I would wobble at the moment and put the child at more risk. I do have a trailer for the back of my bike and would feel safer using it as less likely to tip over!
My DH has used it when going on cycle rides, the children wear safety helmets as does he and also hi-visible vests, and the LO is always strapped in! I would like to say that my LO loves it and happily sings!!
I have seen quite a few trailers in use round us. However, there is also a high percentage of people including young children ( by themselves on the roads!)on bikes too, so I think drivers are a little more careful? when driving on these roads!
Although they are close to the ground and I can understand the concern about fumes etc I still feel that they are big enough to be seen and avoided (more so than a bike)!

Thank you Hebs for asking the question, it is something I have wandered about. :thumbsup:
Would not use it until I feel confident about riding my bike and would ask for signed parental permission before I did. Even then would only use it where I felt it was safe to!!
:)

her8y
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM

Couldnt have said it better myself! My dh time trials and rides in club runs in large groups. Lots of people just dont see bikes and I know of a few accidents and worse where drivers have said "just didnt see them" and these courses are well signposted and marshalled. What chance has a lo in a trailer?

Sorry - just my heated opinion:blush: :blush:

FussyElmo
06-08-2009, 01:56 PM
What about one of these:-

http://buggypushchair.co.uk/display_product.php?mykey=CUSTOM__1243851693&gclid=CJqp4c-Xj5wCFZ0U4wodfxY5ZA

Looks like a bit strange though!!!!

her8y
06-08-2009, 01:59 PM

http://buggypushchair.co.uk/display_product.php?mykey=CUSTOM__1243851693&gclid=CJqp4c-Xj5wCFZ0U4wodfxY5ZA

Thats the strangest looking thing I have seen in ages :laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
06-08-2009, 01:59 PM
i personally think the trailers are safer than the seats on the back of a bike, i hate those with a passion :mad: so dangerous, if the adult tips over the child goes with them and from that height i'd dread to think of what damage that could be done :panic:

i personally think trailers are safer for little ones,

looking for one now :thumbsup:

Hebs
06-08-2009, 02:00 PM

bit our of my price range :eek: :panic: :thumbsup:

ZoeAlli
06-08-2009, 02:09 PM
bit our of my price range :eek: :panic: :thumbsup:

Mine too!!:eek: Can dream though!! :)

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 02:29 PM
we can also ride down the sea front too, got good cycle routes there :thumbsup:
Show off:laughing: :laughing:

Hebs
06-08-2009, 02:31 PM
Show off:laughing: :laughing:

:eek: :blush: :o :o :laughing:

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 02:39 PM
:eek: :blush: :o :o :laughing:

I would love to be able to cycle:panic: No walk, cos I cant ride a bike safely:laughing: next to the sea front.

Are you very close to the beach? That must be lovely for your LO's if you are:thumbsup:

Hebs
06-08-2009, 02:59 PM
I would love to be able to cycle:panic: No walk, cos I cant ride a bike safely:laughing: next to the sea front.

Are you very close to the beach? That must be lovely for your LO's if you are:thumbsup:

it's about a 5 min drive away but TBH we hardly go :blush:

cos it's there it's no longer "special" iyswim

LOOPYLISA
06-08-2009, 03:38 PM

We are 10 mins away and hardly go:rolleyes: and there are 4-5 to choose from :blush: i know wat you mean

Hebs
06-08-2009, 04:07 PM
We are 10 mins away and hardly go:rolleyes: and there are 4-5 to choose from :blush: i know wat you mean

we hardly bother with the beach when we are on holiday either :blush:

Lo0py
06-08-2009, 04:11 PM

Actually I was talking about the figures as a percentage - so number of vehicles etc are already taken into account. As for driver road safety education, you could provide information on how to maintain cars/lorries so that debris would be reduced. The trailers are actually very stable and with a weber hitch they would not be tipped up by a bit of debris anyway.

I think it unfair to limit those who opt not to add to pollution/global warming by not using cars to get from A to B. Personally I'd like to increase car tax and fuel duty to cover the cost of building national cycle routes but I can't see that happening!

Lo0py
06-08-2009, 04:13 PM

Do you know your local council most likely provide free adult cycle lessons these days - could help you feel confident to get back on a bike safely?

Hebs
06-08-2009, 04:14 PM
Personally I'd like to increase car tax and fuel duty to cover the cost of building national cycle routes but I can't see that happening!

i have pretty much agreed with you but this i don't :laughing:
the government tax us enough as it is, maybe them not claiming expnsives for stupid stuff would free up cash to provide more cycle routes :thumbsup:

Lo0py
06-08-2009, 04:15 PM
i have pretty much agreed with you but this i don't :laughing:
the government tax us enough as it is, maybe them not claiming expnsives for stupid stuff would free up cash to provide more cycle routes :thumbsup:

True - a few duck houses could pay for a few nice cycle paths!

Hebs
06-08-2009, 04:16 PM
True - a few duck houses could pay for a few nice cycle paths!

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

oh yeah but they'd rather have their moats than provide safer roads etc :D

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Do you know your local council most likely provide free adult cycle lessons these days - could help you feel confident to get back on a bike safely?

LMAO not at my age:panic: :laughing: :laughing:

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 04:21 PM
Personally I'd like to increase car tax and fuel duty to cover the cost of building national cycle routes but I can't see that happening!

:panic: :panic: :panic: nooooo we already pay a fortune on our car and I think that would knock it right out of us for having a car at all.
I have a large vehicle because a) I have a large family b) I have family that live many miles away and I couldn't afford to travel on public options c) I am a childminder.

Zoomie
06-08-2009, 04:25 PM
I have a bike trailer, and parental permission to use it. :D

Only reason we haven't used it yet is older brother isn't confident riding his bike yet, so I don't feel it is fair ....

I must admit that I rarely use it on the road, mostly pavements (I know it is illegal) and of course at the park.

I believe you can claim 20p/mile as an expense if you use your bike. :D :D

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM

Yep, i do. We take things for granted. The idea of living near the sea sounds wonderful to me, but probably like you I wouldnt use it as much if I lived there:)

Lo0py
06-08-2009, 04:26 PM
c) I am a childminder.

Ekk, does that mean if I don't have a car I can't be a childminder? I live within walking distance of a number of schools so assumed that it wouldn't be a problem.

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 04:27 PM
I believe you can claim 20p/mile as an expense if you use your bike. :D :D
Zoomie, you are joking...Yeah!:laughing:

Pipsqueak
06-08-2009, 04:30 PM
Ekk, does that mean if I don't have a car I can't be a childminder? I live within walking distance of a number of schools so assumed that it wouldn't be a problem.

:laughing: nope wouldn't have thought it be a problem!!!

sorry I should have explained it more - I am a childminder that gets about a lot - I have two different school pick ups, often a child drop off in the evenings, I have to visit several different CC's over the course of a month and they are all spread out, I am a support minder that does visits and my lots are scattered to the winds, plus the other stuff that I have to fit into my working day!

don't get me wrong I do a lot of walking but sometimes its just not a viable option nor is using public transport depending on who, how many and what I have with me!!!

Zoomie
06-08-2009, 04:39 PM
Zoomie, you are joking...Yeah!:laughing:

In fact 20p/mile for each bike that you are using :clapping: :clapping:

Ever wondered why you see David Cameron riding his ????

ORKSIE
06-08-2009, 05:59 PM
In fact 20p/mile for each bike that you are using :clapping: :clapping:

Ever wondered why you see David Cameron riding his ????

:laughing: :laughing:

nannymcflea
07-08-2009, 07:48 AM

Go on ORKSIE... I'd pay to see that...please, pretty please:clapping:

Lo0py, a lot of cm don't have cars but i have to say that in the summer hols it is a real bonus for me to be able to do longer trips. I don't travel well on a bus(to put it mildly) so driving is my only option if i want to get around with 5 kids in tow.

i walk to school, to toddlers etc so don't use the car all the time. I do feel that I am taxed unfairly in my 7 seater as it only does 2000 miles a year, perhaps banish road tax and up petrol so those who do distance pay more?(not that the government doesn't get enough from petrol anyway!)

Daftbat
07-08-2009, 07:50 AM
Actually I was talking about the figures as a percentage - so number of vehicles etc are already taken into account. As for driver road safety education, you could provide information on how to maintain cars/lorries so that debris would be reduced. The trailers are actually very stable and with a weber hitch they would not be tipped up by a bit of debris anyway.

I think it unfair to limit those who opt not to add to pollution/global warming by not using cars to get from A to B. Personally I'd like to increase car tax and fuel duty to cover the cost of building national cycle routes but I can't see that happening!

I was referring to debris being flipped up by car and lorry wheels, not that anything would be tipped up. I saw one of these trailers in the middle of Chesterfield yesterday and it was being used on a busy 4 lane road and the child, in my opinion, looked very vulnerable. I think in less busy areas and cycle paths they are fantastic as a way of getting out and about with the children but i don't think they should be used as a general way of getting about.

I don't think anyone is limiting peoples use - just having an opinion as to what they would be happy doing. Personally I would not be happy as a parent if my small child was being transported along busy roads in one of these. On the other hand, i would be more than happy if it was being used in a sensible manner on a sea front, cycle path etc as has been suggested.

As for increasing taxes etc - thanks a lot - i pay enough already and would like to see improvements in the basics like hospitals, schools, and policing first.

ORKSIE
07-08-2009, 07:51 AM
Go on ORKSIE... I'd pay to see that...please, pretty please:clapping:

I bet you would, and that DH of yours:ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Daftbat
07-08-2009, 07:52 AM

Sorry, but this is unnecessary in my opinion.

sweets
07-08-2009, 08:32 AM
Can i just say that these CAN trip up! my friends did. she was cycling slowly round her villiage with 2 and 3 year old in the back, she nudged the kerb with her front wheel and all of them went over! luckily she was going very slowly and apert from her having a grazed knee all was ok. Unfortunately it happened just outside the local pub where lots of people were sitting outside who all rushed to help her, she was very embarrased:blush: lol. The trailer went straight in the garage, never to be got out again!!

Lo0py
07-08-2009, 09:03 AM
Sorry, but this is unnecessary in my opinion.

Sorry what is unnecessary? You mean having a car or my concerns about not having a car?

Daftbat
07-08-2009, 09:36 AM
Sorry what is unnecessary? You mean having a car or my concerns about not having a car?

I mean the sarcasm, you know perfectly well that having or not having a car does not prevent anyone from being a childminder. If you were just having a laugh a smilie is what should be used to make sure that things are not read in the wrong context.

Lo0py
07-08-2009, 09:58 AM
I mean the sarcasm, you know perfectly well that having or not having a car does not prevent anyone from being a childminder. If you were just having a laugh a smilie is what should be used to make sure that things are not read in the wrong context.

Thanks for being a mind reader and telling me what I "know perfectly well" but on this occasion you are mistaken. I was asking a genuine question (from soneone who is still pre-reg) as it had never occurred to me that parents would expect a childminder to have a car.

Oh do I need to put a smilie at the end of this post even though I'm not being sarcastic but you will probably assume I am?

deeb66
07-08-2009, 10:01 AM
Come on ladies, please do not let this get nasty or personal.

Can we please stick to the topic :thumbsup:

Thanks

Dee
xx

Lo0py
07-08-2009, 10:04 AM
Come on ladies, please do not let this get nasty or personal.

Can we please stick to the topic :thumbsup:

Thanks

Dee
xx

I thought I was! I seem to keeping putting people's noses out of joint without meaning to! :panic:

deeb66
07-08-2009, 10:23 AM
I thought I was! I seem to keeping putting people's noses out of joint without meaning to! :panic:

It can be really difficult when putting something in writting.......it is not the same as when you are talking face to face with someone as expressions/body language cannot be seen.

There have been a few occassions when someone has upset others but have not meant to - but once this has been done it is difficult for others to let it pass if you see what I mean.

Perhaps the best thing for everyone to do is to forget about the last few days and to start again :thumbsup:

Afterall this really is a lovely friendly forum and I think the members on here are fab!

Dee
xxx

Pauline
07-08-2009, 03:45 PM
Thank you Dee, you've been a star almost running this place on your own while I've been away on holiday. It's not been easy for me to get on line and don't know what I would have done without you being here. :thumbsup:

I've been trying to keep up with the threads and can only echo what Dee has said.

OK so maybe Lo0py got a few backs up in her first few posts, (whether intended or not we have to face that it happened), but lets not have that taint every thread she takes part in.:panic:

We are all adults on here, move on and enjoy the chance to share ideas and if we disagree, which of course we will, then please do it in a pleasant way.

Or on your bike :laughing: (Sorry the topic of this thread made me say that ;))

Daddy Day Care
07-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Or on your bike :laughing: (Sorry the topic of this thread made me say that ;))

Oh dear, time to get back to your holiday me thinks :D

Pauline
07-08-2009, 04:00 PM
Oh dear, time to get back to your holiday me thinks :D

Oh didn't I say it?............. "Hi honies, I'm home" :D

ORKSIE
07-08-2009, 04:18 PM
Oh didn't I say it?............. "Hi honies, I'm home" :D

Hi Pauline, hope you had a fab holiday:waving:
And Dee has been fantastic:thumbsup:

Daddy Day Care
07-08-2009, 04:26 PM
Uh Oh, you better behave tonight Orksie now da boss is home.

Agree about Dee tho, she been great, apart from trying to hog the sexy thread

Gareth
xx

ORKSIE
07-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Uh Oh, you better behave tonight Orksie now da boss is home.

Agree about Dee tho, she been great, apart from trying to hog the sexy thread

Gareth
xx

http://bestsmileys.com/lol/4.gif

FizzysFriends
07-08-2009, 05:35 PM
Back to topic - are we talking about the trailer things that you can put a couple of children in or the bar things that link a childs bike to an adult one?

Hebs
07-08-2009, 05:36 PM
the trailer things that you can put a couple of children in

:thumbsup: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

The Juggler
07-08-2009, 05:45 PM
Thanks for being a mind reader and telling me what I "know perfectly well" but on this occasion you are mistaken. I was asking a genuine question (from soneone who is still pre-reg) as it had never occurred to me that parents would expect a childminder to have a car.

Oh do I need to put a smilie at the end of this post even though I'm not being sarcastic but you will probably assume I am?

I must admit, I read this as a genuine question about not having a car, Loopy. It's funny how one sentence can be read so differently by different people. That is the disadvantage of writing instead of talking. I think we all need to forget the post which got everyone riled and just get on with welcoming you as a new member.

So, to answer your question, I was going to reply that I have rarely used my car for minding. I walk everywhere to school come rain or shine with 5-8 children after school. Its never been a problem (other than parents who drive and forget their children need warm or wet weather coats sometimes - keep a spare supply if you can!) - ooh and the puddles in the hall. It saves having to fold and refold buggies several times a day though.

I sometimes get a treat in the holidays and can take the kids out in the car when numbers permit (I only have a 5 seater and have 2 children of my own). It's not often though. We do bus and train rides in the holidays instead). You'll be fine without. Just need a good waterproof and some good shoes/wellies

LOL