PDA

View Full Version : How do I stop sounding so desperate?

Minstrel
02-08-2009, 07:16 PM
When replying to enquiries, what should I be saying?

I think I might be coming across as a bit desperate (i am!) and wonder if anyone had a tips as to how to professionally answer the phone/e-mail that will increase my chances of at least getting them round for a visit.

I can't be the only this will help!

RainbowMum
02-08-2009, 07:43 PM
I would ask the hours required, age of child etc and say something like - oh' that will fit nicely with the vacany available. Then invite parent to come and see the setting, I usually try and let them lead the questions when they get here as I am not great at that lol! I think getting them through the door is half the battle.

Hebs
02-08-2009, 07:44 PM
I think I might be coming across as a bit desperate (i am!)

me too :panic:

so will be watching this with interest

nannymcflea
02-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Bless you, I bet you're doing fine.

Can you try and just be factual but friendly. Perhaps on the phone just book a date and time, sound friendly but keep the chat to a minimum,ask ages,times and names to make it personal.

It's really hard to tell people what to say as we are all different and thats why some people bond with some and not others.Does that make sense?

Could you practice and write it down what you would like to say?Or get a friend to do a practice.

Just be yourself.:thumbsup:

Chatterbox Childcare
02-08-2009, 07:52 PM
When I get an email I just write back with something like this as they usually ask for availability and cost

"thank you for your recent enquiry. Cost is determined by the number of hours and days that you require, so if you could please contact me on ................. or send me your telephone number and I will call you and we can arrange a mutual convenient time to get together for coffee to discuss your exact requirements"

Minstrel
02-08-2009, 09:01 PM
Thank you. I was thinking about writing myself a bit of a script/ a few q's to ask to make sure i get all the info but i always end up going off on a tangent!

Daftbat
03-08-2009, 06:08 AM
My advice would be to try and make sure that on the phone you are not speaking too quickly. Take your time -be conscious of your breathing and slow everything down.

Turn the tables on the parent and ask them to tell you exactly what they require and whilst they are talking you can calmly assess what you can do.

I used to have a habit of rambling and rushing conversations.

Hope it helps

grindal
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
Hi
The other thing I did before i got my first mindee was to tell the prospective parent how lucky they were that I was just starting out, that I was full of enthusiasm, and had availability whenever they needed me, unlike some of the more established minders in my area. I also made it clear why I had an immediate vacancy as I think a lot of parents are convinced that minders with an immediate vacancy are no good and the good ones always have a waiting list.

Minstrel
03-08-2009, 02:06 PM
Thanks everyone- I will try it out when I have to call back a parent who's left me her number. Just says she wants mon-fri 9 till 5 so its a biggie.

wish me luck! x

deeb66
03-08-2009, 02:15 PM
Thanks everyone- I will try it out when I have to call back a parent who's left me her number. Just says she wants mon-fri 9 till 5 so its a biggie.

wish me luck! x

Good luck :thumbsup:

Hope all goes well

Dee
xx

Blackhorse
03-08-2009, 03:53 PM
good luck with it..

I worried about the first few calls as well...and I still do if the phone rings..
but as long as you know your facts and are friendly..I dont think it will go wrong.
(like today I had to check my weekly fee ...which I felt was stupid..but I just said i'll check so you get the correct up to date prices.....)

also..we are more aware of the fact that we are desperate..so we overanalyse everything that could make us desperate...parents wont think that way unless you are very obvious about it ...like..Oh I really need to start looking after someones kid...I can work for half fee!! LOL

I am sure you will be fine!!

Chatterbox Childcare
03-08-2009, 03:57 PM
Hope it all goes well.

Only other piece of advice is don't discuss rates over the phone. Be friendly and ask to meet. Let her find out what you are like and if you both like each other before discussing money.

the more practice you get the better you will be

Tatjana
03-08-2009, 04:34 PM
I bet you don't sound desperate, just keen and enthusiatic. :thumbsup:

I had an enquiry last week she said how good it was to speak to a childminder that didn't sound half asleep! :eek: I couldn't do the job as the school pick up was too far away.

xx

Minstrel
03-08-2009, 06:15 PM
Ok well i just called her back.

not entirely sure whether that went well or not. i think she was looking for a nanny. in fact she asked me whether i wanted a job as a nanny!

i've been here before and everyone said how lucky i was to be well shot if she's really wanting a nanny because there'll act more like your employer etc

she also asked if a could potty train her DD (not even two yet!) -I said i was happy to work along side them when the child was ready. not sure if thats what she wanted to hear though.

very happy with my fee though and the fact that i was available immediatly and also my location was much much closer than se expected.

hubby will be home soon so said she will let me know tomorrow.

i guess time will tell!