PDA

View Full Version : Everything you need to know about Swine Flu

deeb66
02-08-2009, 05:58 PM
As we all know that threads that had stickys attached to them (to keep them up the top of the forum) has been deleted by accident.

This is the site that Angel used to obtain the latest information from as it is continuously updated.

The link for the site is http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Swineflu/DG_177831

Hope this helps until we can get a proper thread going again

Dee
xx

atmkids
03-08-2009, 08:00 AM
I've read all through the website but can't find an answer to the one question that I have. If a mindee has swine flu how long should they stay at home for? If anyone can help I'd be most grateful.

ORKSIE
03-08-2009, 08:03 AM
Dont quote me but i believe its until they are completeley well, No signs of any cough, sneezes. I will also be interested on anyone elses post on this, as i'm not 100% sure.

deeb66
03-08-2009, 08:08 AM
Dont quote me but i believe its until they are completeley well, No signs of any cough, sneezes. I will also be interested on anyone elses post on this, as i'm not 100% sure.

Yes this is what I would do.

I also have it in my policy that ALL family members must be symptom free and well.......the chances are that if one member of the household has had/got swine flu they all will get it!

HTH

Dee

keatingschick
11-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Yes this is what I would do.

I also have it in my policy that ALL family members must be symptom free and well.......the chances are that if one member of the household has had/got swine flu they all will get it!

HTH

Dee

Bit late on this havent been around for a while, but just in case I'll give you my info.

Just after Xmas my husband ended up in intensive care with swine flu and pneumonia. I am pretty certain that I also had swine flu, though they never swabbed me for it, even though he swabbed positive for it. I am pretty sure we BOTH had it just before he was admitted to hospital as it was the pneumonia that really was the issue.
When I spoke to the hospital regarding myself and my job, I was told that unless I was displaying any symptoms they would not swab me nor treat me for it and they spoke to the INFECTION CONTROL who said that unless I was displaying any kind of symptoms that I was free to carry on working (obviously if I started coughing or sneezing then maybe not), but they said that there could be people with it that you dont know about.
When there was the outbreak last year we were told we could only actually exclude someone who ACTUALLY had the illness, not family members. Thing is like I said I am pretty certain I also had it, I shared a bed with him before he became really ill (probably when he was most contagious) and was the one looking after him, so I am sure I had it too, but whilst my husband was in intensive care, obviously I was very upst and family members and friends comforted me and they didnt catch it and so.....I'd definately exclude the patient, but I dont know if you can exclude family members, just on the offchance they might catch it. Like I said, the doctors and hospital werent interested in me or the rest of my family unless we actually displayed symptoms.

Pauline
11-03-2011, 08:28 PM
Bit late on this havent been around for a while, but just in case I'll give you my info.

Just after Xmas my husband ended up in intensive care with swine flu and pneumonia. I am pretty certain that I also had swine flu, though they never swabbed me for it, even though he swabbed positive for it. I am pretty sure we BOTH had it just before he was admitted to hospital as it was the pneumonia that really was the issue.
When I spoke to the hospital regarding myself and my job, I was told that unless I was displaying any symptoms they would not swab me nor treat me for it and they spoke to the INFECTION CONTROL who said that unless I was displaying any kind of symptoms that I was free to carry on working (obviously if I started coughing or sneezing then maybe not), but they said that there could be people with it that you dont know about.
When there was the outbreak last year we were told we could only actually exclude someone who ACTUALLY had the illness, not family members. Thing is like I said I am pretty certain I also had it, I shared a bed with him before he became really ill (probably when he was most contagious) and was the one looking after him, so I am sure I had it too, but whilst my husband was in intensive care, obviously I was very upst and family members and friends comforted me and they didnt catch it and so.....I'd definately exclude the patient, but I dont know if you can exclude family members, just on the offchance they might catch it. Like I said, the doctors and hospital werent interested in me or the rest of my family unless we actually displayed symptoms.

Thanks for that. Sounds like a dreadful ordeal for you, is your hubby fully recovered? Hope so. :)

keatingschick
13-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Thanks for that. Sounds like a dreadful ordeal for you, is your hubby fully recovered? Hope so. :)

Thanks Pauline. They said he wont be FULLY recovered for quite a long time, but he is alot better than he was lets just say that.

He seems back to himself though had a bit of a setback when he went for a check-up ended up seeing what I can only hope was a junior doctor who has referred him straight back to the chest clinic because he has fluid on his lungs (well he has just had pneumonia), started talking about chest drains (which even when he was in intensive care the consultant didnt want to do) and has thrown doubts over our holiday so its been like 2 steps forward and then suddenly feels like a busride backwards! So have have to see what his own doctor says.

Yeah it has been a horrible ordeal and tbh I've been in a bit of an emotional state over the last couple of weeks, think it was sort of delayed shock and I've just gone into a bit of meltdown, not hleped by the fact that I've got a hospital appointment myself this week so....going a bit crazy tbh :panic: :panic:

But you just get on don't you lol

Pauline
14-03-2011, 09:28 AM
Yeah it has been a horrible ordeal and tbh I've been in a bit of an emotional state over the last couple of weeks, think it was sort of delayed shock and I've just gone into a bit of meltdown, not hleped by the fact that I've got a hospital appointment myself this week so....going a bit crazy tbh :panic: :panic:

But you just get on don't you lol

Yes I suppose you do but try to make time for yourself as it can take time for your nerves to heal. Hope all goes well for you with your own appointment.

Take care xx