PDA

View Full Version : Is or isn't it swine flu???

Bitsy Beans
02-08-2009, 10:19 AM
How is one supposed to know?
My daughter is 12 months old. She was off colour on Friday (when I was minding) and friday night/early sat morning had a temp of 38.9. All day Saturday she had temp (although didn't get as high as 38.9 again) and today she has no temp and is lot perkier. Due to her age she couldn't tell me how she felt but she had no cough, runny nose or any cold like symptoms. She was restless like she had twitchy body and think she had a headache as she would rub her head a lot.
I have no idea if she has had swine flu (do they even get over it this quickly)? If she did then obviously I need to let my parent know etc.
Any thoughts?

Edited to add - I rang NHS direct and eventually (6 hours later) a nurse rang me back. She was not much help other than to say "see how she is and take her to Dr's in the morning". I don't want to declare she's got SF unless she really has.......

zillervalley
02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
one mindee that I had , a couple of weeks ago had a temp, they took her to hosp but docs said if she hasnt had a temp for 48hrs than the likelhood she has not got swine flu, as she had no other symtoms either.

they were advised to stay in house for 5days,

up to you whether you tell parents that your child had a temp, and ask them to watch out for it with their own, rather you said than not and it was the dreaded flu

ziller

Bitsy Beans
02-08-2009, 10:37 AM
one mindee that I had , a couple of weeks ago had a temp, they took her to hosp but docs said if she hasnt had a temp for 48hrs than the likelhood she has not got swine flu, as she had no other symtoms either.

they were advised to stay in house for 5days,

up to you whether you tell parents that your child had a temp, and ask them to watch out for it with their own, rather you said than not and it was the dreaded flu

ziller

I was planning on seeing how her temp fared today and I was going to ring my parent on Monday and just warn her that my daughter had been bit poorly. I don't want to mention the piggy flu unless it was actually that.

Just taken her temp and it's 36.3. She's had no temp at all so far this morning :thumbsup:

FizzysFriends
02-08-2009, 10:42 AM
If we weren't in a pandemic would flu have crossed your mind?

zillervalley
02-08-2009, 10:52 AM
hi

I agree with fuzzy, I think that your little one has just been a little off colour
rather than the flu, but i meant you could still mention the temp to the parents in case it is a bug, and they also can watch out for it with their own

i am terrible for letting people know things , its like covering my back all the time

hope she is back to her self soon

ziller

Bitsy Beans
02-08-2009, 10:58 AM
If we weren't in a pandemic would flu have crossed your mind?

In the middle of summer no. If it was winter.....not sure.

Most stuff seems to be passed off as the all encompassing "viral" bracket by my GP anyway!

I always imagined with flu that it would take slightly longer to bounce back than 24 hours - am counting my blessings anyway.

Will let parent know in case mindee picks up bug.

The Juggler
02-08-2009, 11:28 AM
I think the main signs are continuous crying (from the headache), several symptoms together and temps and pain which seen bit go away with any pain relief medicine.

My dd was ill from wed morning, cried for 2 days non-stop (she is 7). She had fever, v&d, aches and pains, headache, crying sore throat and runny nose, Also as it turned out, had tonsilitis. However, the headache and d&v didn't tie in with tonsilitis.

She had meds on Thurs lunchtime (I was reluctant to give the tamiflu at first) and by Friday morning it was like she'd never been ill bouncing around like a loony, but I had honestly never seen her so ill. Don't know if it was the anti-biotics that did the trick and it was just tonsilitis or it was the tamiflu that got her back on track. Perhaps both helped.

It's so hard to tell if it was swine flu but like someone else said, its rare to get flu in the summer.