PDA

View Full Version : Automatic yes/no questions

singlewiththree
02-08-2009, 06:32 AM
I have just filled in the government pandemic flu checker online to see if we have it and it says we need antiviral it gave me a code and told me where to pick it up. I don't believe we have it as DD3 has just been in hospital for a week and I'm sure they would have isolated us. I am just annoyed that anyone can answer the yes/no questions and get given it. I know of some paranoid people who would answer wrongly just to be given the antiviral just to take because they think it would make them safe! I know they need to automate it as there are loads of people ringing but to do it so quickly online :angry:

Sally G
02-08-2009, 06:47 AM
I agree with you, as if you take the vaccine when you are not affected then if you do then get swine flu and need to take the medication you will be immune to it!

LittleAcorns
02-08-2009, 06:52 AM
Paula, I did the same thing last week, I felt a little run down achy, head ache sore throat, my temp was at 38! loss of appetite, just felt poorly, I cant remember exactly what it adviced me to do, but it was along the same lines....

I just thought, I do have mild symptoms but I didnt feel ill enough to do anything about it, had the symptoms for 2 days, but could carry on functioning, so did....just slower:cool:

FizzysFriends
02-08-2009, 12:13 PM
But don't you input your details to the online checker and you can only get Tamiflu once? So it would do the paranoid no good taking it just incase, because if they needed it again they would have to go through a GP to get it to make sure they aren't stock piling it and that takes longer.

Minstrel
02-08-2009, 12:50 PM
I used it and it said to call 999! :eek:

Its myself though so I know there's no need- but i can understand why they are saying that swine flu will quickly bring the nhs to a halt if they are giving out the advice so flipantly (sp)

Hope you feel better soon x

Daftbat
02-08-2009, 12:59 PM
This really annoys me. Because it seems anyone can get hold of Tamiflu by answering the questions in a certain way then no doubt we will see figures in the media about how many millions of people have been affected by this pandemic and the figures will be WRONG.

I can't believe that in this day and age we are self prescribing such an important drug willy nilly. Its not helping the population as a whole since as the previous poster said - it will not be effective if you have already had it and then actually go on to get swine flu itself!

The media has a lot to answer for, whipping up hysteria rather than reporting sounds facts. I suppose that wouldn't sound as exciting would it?

rickysmiths
02-08-2009, 01:04 PM
I used it and it said to call 999! :eek:

Its myself though so I know there's no need- but i can understand why they are saying that swine flu will quickly bring the nhs to a halt if they are giving out the advice so flipantly (sp)

Hope you feel better soon x

It must be hard to do an accurate checker. I think if I did it and it told me to do that i would call and explain why I was ringing and let them decide what to do.

People just taking Tamiflu as a precaution are daft as it doesn't work that way anyhow. They are also setting themselves up for future dificulties if they really need it. They are also likey to suffer side effects as I understand taking it is not a walk in the park so more fool them.

All over us are ill this weekend, it maybe swine flu can't be sure without a test, but as none of us have any health problems we are taking it easy, taking paracetamol, drinking lots and I will not be working for a few days until we are all better.

Mouse
02-08-2009, 01:08 PM
This really annoys me. Because it seems anyone can get hold of Tamiflu by answering the questions in a certain way then no doubt we will see figures in the media about how many millions of people have been affected by this pandemic and the figures will be WRONG.

I can't believe that in this day and age we are self prescribing such an important drug willy nilly. Its not helping the population as a whole since as the previous poster said - it will not be effective if you have already had it and then actually go on to get swine flu itself!

The media has a lot to answer for, whipping up hysteria rather than reporting sounds facts. I suppose that wouldn't sound as exciting would it?

I couldn't agree more, Penny.

I don't believe we can be getting a true figure of how many people really have swine flu. Surely they should still be testing a certain percentage of people. I know people who have had a couple of symptoms & filled in the questionnaire the 'right' way, just so they can get Tamiflu. To be honest, with the reported side effects, I'd probably not want to take it anyway!