PDA

View Full Version : Finally started!

dreamondreamer
01-08-2009, 04:28 PM
Hi all,
Yesterday was my first day with my first mindees:) (aged 9 months and 2).
All went well despite the crap weather, no tears at all, had LOADS of activities organised although the television is limited here and I know this wee one watches a lot so really had to keep her entertained. I was totally wrecked:jump for joy: How long do you find it takes before you settle down into a routine? btw The mum sent me the most beautiful bouquet of flowers at lunchtime, I was really touched :)

miffy
01-08-2009, 04:34 PM
Wow! I'd say hold on to this mum with both hands - flowers on the first day - never had that before!

I'm not sure what you mean about settling down into a routine. All children are different and some settle easier than others, some naturally need more entertaining, others are happy to amuse themselves for short periods.

The better you get to know your mindees the easier you will find it to look after them - you'll know when they're hungry or tired or need to let off steam.

Don't worry - it sounds as if you're doing just great!

Miffy xx

Ruth Saxelbye
01-08-2009, 06:40 PM
Lucky thing, I've been minding 16 years and not had flowers from any parents out of the blue. She must really appreciate what you are doing for her.

deeb66
01-08-2009, 06:51 PM
Wow! I'd say hold on to this mum with both hands - flowers on the first day - never had that before!

I'm not sure what you mean about settling down into a routine. All children are different and some settle easier than others, some naturally need more entertaining, others are happy to amuse themselves for short periods.

The better you get to know your mindees the easier you will find it to look after them - you'll know when they're hungry or tired or need to let off steam.

Don't worry - it sounds as if you're doing just great!

Miffy xx

Sound advice :thumbsup:

I think we all wish we had parents like this......we are all very jealous!

Dee

dreamondreamer
01-08-2009, 07:38 PM
She is an absolute dote, I do know her a long time and she is an extremely warm hearted person:littleangel:
miffy sorry what I mean about settling in is me not the kids:laughing:
I swear I didn't eat a bite all day and was just completely following kids every move, I suppose I'm just anxious that they will be happy here.

tulip0803
01-08-2009, 07:48 PM
Glad your first day went well.

Lucky you having a considerate parent:clapping:

Dreean
02-08-2009, 07:33 PM
Aww that is so lovely. I might pinch that idea n send my Mum some, she looks after my daughter for me at the moment and that would be a really nice way of saying thank you! Thanks for the idea!

Chatterbox Childcare
02-08-2009, 07:35 PM
Glad you had a good day. Just remember that you don't have to be with them 100% of the time. Have toys to hand too that they can play with independently.

Tatjana
03-08-2009, 08:11 PM
How lovely to get gorgeous flowers on your first day too!

I think you'll soon find out how your mindees tick and will know when you can have a cuppa etc.

xx

sophiestars
03-08-2009, 08:21 PM
Aaaah what a lovely parent.

I know how you feel, when i started at the beginning of March i felt I had to be giving them input and following them around all the time but you just can't keep that up all day every day, especially if you are not even managing to eat , you will just burn yourself out!! After all how many jobs do you know of that don't even get a tea break let alone a lunch break?!!!

It took me a few weeks to get to know each mindee and what they liked, needed, their routines, what they were crying for (baby) etc, especially with the 7 mth old I had (now 10 mths). Now I am much more relaxed and have a balance of free-play and adult led activities and feel ok to let them play on their own sometimes (they need to do that too!). I don't always have alot of time for lunch, but try and quickly make something when I have settled them down to eat (I could make myself a sandwich before they arrive but always forget or run out of time with my own children's demands and school run in the morning!)

So don't worry, you will settle into a routine after a while and start to enjoy it without the worry lol!!

dreamondreamer
03-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Thankyou sooo much for all the replies:)
It is very reasurring to hear from you, I kinda know that it will all settle down in a little while when I get to know them better and they me:)
Back tomorrow after the bank holidaay weekend so hopefully we'll get a bit of dry weather and get out for a bit. I bought a lovely sand and water table for them and my wee fella at the weekend and its been bucketing here since:(
Thanks again girls, much appreciate your insight:littleangel: