View Full Version : Awkward situation ...

31-07-2009, 05:21 PM
... and its not really the mums fault :(

Basically I was minding a little one two days a week but due to circumstances beyond mums control she had to leave her job. She gave notice but assured me he would be back in a couple of weeks as she was going to find another job asap.

She went for a job and got it on his very last day so he was supposed to come back either this monday or monday coming. Well this job has really messed her about and since being told she had the job has heard nothing.

She went for another interview this week and I didn't hear from her till today and she has said she will hear about the new job by the end of next week.

Well the problem is I have had two enquiries, the first one is just for summer holidays and I don't mind letting that go but the second is for a little one four full days a week and the only reason I wouldn't be able to take it is because J is supposed to be coming back :(

I have told the enquiry mum that I can give her an answer on if I have a space on Friday next week but I am panicking because if J's mum hasn't heard about the job or indeed hasn't got it and I give the space away J can't come back :( :( :(

I have really bonded with J and I get on great with his mum and J is so settled here but this new enquiry is perfect hours and almost full time - the likely hood is J's hours will only be part time and shifts - I just don't know what I am going to do when it comes to it :(

31-07-2009, 05:24 PM
could you take the new one, then ask for a variation when J's mum is sorted?

Would you be taking on too much?

I know it's a risk but at least you are securing your finances. :D

31-07-2009, 05:24 PM
can you not get a variation for him??

as he is used to you etc etc

sorry hun dont know what else to advise

31-07-2009, 05:30 PM
Hi - I was posting a reply then my laptop somehow lost it - but as the others suggested how about a variation. I did this when one of my mums' was going on maternity leave and then changed dates. However in meantime I had already agreed to take on another child. Luckily, Ofsted agreed to this, hopefully they would in your case too as the child has already settled at your setting.

31-07-2009, 05:30 PM
A variation would be perfect but I am in a flat and had to fight with Ofsted to get registered for the 2 under five I am already registered for - I just don't think I would get it :(

31-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Go with your gut feeling, it's usually right:thumbsup:

Hope all works out well

01-08-2009, 07:37 AM
Its really hard isnt it? You have loyalty to J and have also already bonded with him and he is used to your setting etc.

But then the other one sounds ideal hours and days wise especially financially.

Why dont you say that you will keep the space for J until the Friday you have said to the other lady and if Js mum doesnt have anything concrete, then accept the other one.

Its always worth trying for the variation. If J does just end up being part time and shifts, there might not be long periods of time when you have them all together anyway. When applying for your variation, Ofsted will want a timetable of who is at your house for what times and days. You may find you're at your busiest for just a few hours a day and as long as you can prove how you will cope with this, you should be ok.

Let us know how it turns out.:thumbsup:

The Juggler
01-08-2009, 07:45 AM
I would sit mum down and tell her the situation. Tell her you would obviously rather keep J but need to think about income etc, same as she does.

Explain your position rather than do it after you've decided. I think she would appreciate this and then probably tell you to accept other placement. You can also tell her you would apply for variation on her behalf if she then does need you.