PDA

View Full Version : Exited and scared at the same time!

Ripeberry
31-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Hi, next week i will have 11 month old mindee with me for half a day (first proper time away from his mum or relatives ever!) My own two daughters will be at home and they are under instructions not to be too boisterous near him as he's not used to bigger kids.
What do you think my chances are that he will scream the place down? :(
I've got lots of toys for him to play with and of course i'll be available for a cuddle or even carry him around for a bit.
I know the parents will be stressed as they have never left him and they are in the middle of a house move at the same time :eek:
How many of you have had screamers and do they just settle down by themselves? My girls were never screamers even with relatives so if this little man turns out to be one it will be a huge learning curve.

sweets
31-07-2009, 04:13 PM
He may not be a screamer! i wouldn't worry about it as it may not happen, he may be relaxed and happy. BUT if he's not just be there for him, try not to start by carrying him round all the time as he may expect it all the time. Try and sit on the floor next to him instead. He will prob enjoy watching your two girls play.
Good luck! if you are anxious he may pick up on it so try and be chilled! lol

sarah707
31-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Some children scream... others don't. You won't know that until the first day.

If he does, only you know your threshold and how much your family will put up with.

My little screamer is now a lovely 2 year old... the new babies have their moments but nothing compared to how he used to be :rolleyes: :D

ORKSIE
31-07-2009, 05:05 PM
I had a screamer, she was 6 months old. She is now a wonderful 12 month old, she is adorable. Mum does her hair up like "Boo" in "Monsters Inc":D

cs01
31-07-2009, 05:38 PM
My 2nd mindee was 11 months old when he started. He cried the whole time during the 1st settling in session, which thankfully was less than an hour! I remember thinking how on earth am I going to cope if he screams all day and I have a 2 and a 3 year old to look after as well. Well I needn't have worried. He has proved to be the most placid baby I have ever known and he likes to sleep loads. So even if the 1st session doesn't go too well (and let's be honest, sometimes they don't!) it doesn't mean its a sign of things to come.

Keeping your own children quiet is a good idea as they will no doubt be very keen to play and get to know him but this can be overwhelming for babies and just go with the flow on the day.

Good luck :)

Minstrel
31-07-2009, 05:59 PM
I had a 9 month old girl here today, first day with me and mum's never left her before (apart from hubby). I also had to get her down for a nap 15 mins after she arrived (mums orders).

And guess what... she was an angel! Had a little murmer in the cot for about 3 minutes and not another sound from her all day.

I'm sure you'll be fine,

deeb66
31-07-2009, 06:02 PM
I think that a majority start of screaming in the beginning but most tend to settle down fairly quickly once they feel safe and secure and have formed an attachment with you.

If he does scream hopefully it won't be for long.....fingers crossed

Ripeberry
31-07-2009, 07:14 PM
I'll have some earplugs just in case! :p I'm sure he'll be OK and hopefully the parents will feel calmer once they've spent the weekend in their new home.