PDA

View Full Version : Childminding vs Stepparenting

venus89
30-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Which is easier?
I find I'm a far better childminder than I am a stepmother.

LOOPYLISA
30-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Well im not cm anymore, but being a step parent :eek: :panic:

Very hard work, i admire anyone who is one :thumbsup:

sarah707
30-07-2009, 08:48 PM
I find step parenting the most challenging... probably because they have a really strong mother figure and I'll never get it right with them.

Whatever I say or do and however hard I try, whatever she might have done to them I am not her.

I hope I'm kinder to my exes partner. I try hard to work with her as I feel that benefits my children. :D

venus89
30-07-2009, 08:52 PM
I am very relieved to hear you say that! I always feel like the biggest heel - I find it easier to be with some of my mindees. I feel I have more of a right to 'encourage positive behaviour' with them. And they listen to me more! My stepdd just goes blank if I try to talk about what she's doing or saying, just switches off. I don't know if I'll ever have that bond with her

Pipsqueak
30-07-2009, 09:12 PM
Not a step parent but I sometimes feel I am a better minder than I am mother!:blush:

carebear25
30-07-2009, 09:51 PM
I love being a step mum an I'm so happy my partner chose me 2 fill the place. I get on wit his ex's family which helps. Her brother is my partners best mate an god father 2 our son.
As I am from same environment I think that has helped me understand my step son.my friends ask me how I do it an I just say he's my son an amy decisions or plans always involve him.

Cammie Doodle
30-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Not a step Parent, but an ex Foster Parent, not sure what Im best at although my son says Im the greatest Mum :blush: Oh Bless him he is 25 lol

pumpkinsmum
30-07-2009, 10:32 PM
Nearly 10 years of being a step-mum now and I definately think minding is easier. Especially as mindees have nothing to gain by playing me off against their mum :rolleyes: and when I tell them they can't have something there is no 'daaaaaaa-aaaaaaaaad, it's not fair, Mum would let us!' Bless my step-kids!;)

Spangles
30-07-2009, 11:05 PM
I'm not a stepmum but imagine that to be very, very hard in most cases.

I don't envy anyone in that position especially when the children are older. It seems to be a most complicated relationship and very hard to get the right balance but as I say I'm not one so just get this impression from people around me.

xx