View Full Version : Can i claim ...

21-02-2008, 08:56 AM
gas/electricity ect... if i use it for childminding but don't actually pay for it meaning someone else does in my house. can i claim it or not?
i wont be using my dad's car for childminding but will be using it to get training places and if i'm going somewhere to buy something todo with childminding is it worth claiming if i can?
Thank you :)

21-02-2008, 09:01 AM
I dont think you can claim if the cost isnt actually to you.

If your parents charged you for the extra gas/elec then you could put some of what they charged you through your books.

But if they didnt charge you anything I think you would have a problem as the bill isnt in your name nor is it actually costing you anything.

21-02-2008, 09:16 AM

I would say yes, you do not need to specify the owner of the car when claiming mileage, for exmple if I used my husbands car to go on a course I would claim mileage. Who is paying your gas/elec? again if it was your husband you would claim, if it was your parents, you are lucky they do not want you to contribute to the bills. As long as someone on your premises pays the bill it shouldn't matter who gets the tax relief on them. I would claim!

21-02-2008, 09:29 AM
If your parents are out at work during the day, then I would imagine they might want to bill you for your use of their gas and electricity...etc.

Similarly if your dad asks you for his petrol back for the trips you make in his car, then you put this against your expenses. :D

21-02-2008, 09:31 AM
It's my understanding you can claim. I was told it doesn't matter whose name is on the bill as long as the costs are directly related to childminding, which they will be. Personally I would put the costs through your books.

28-02-2008, 05:05 PM
I think you can so long as no one is claiming it for another business at the same time. As for car use I put costs down as my hubby is drivign me to trainings and it is use of the car.