PDA

View Full Version : Pre-registration briefing session

Mini-tots
30-07-2009, 12:22 PM
Hi All,

I am new to this site and am thinking about starting up as a childminder. I was wondering, is it essential to attend a pre-registration briefing session or is it possible to start the registration process without?
I know I will probably get responses saying it's useful etc but if for example you have already read up lots about childminding could you skip it?

Many thanks

Vicky

RCTLisa
30-07-2009, 12:25 PM
I have to attend mine before the local council will let me do the ICP course

sweets
30-07-2009, 12:26 PM
i think its probably up to your local authority, i would contact them and ask. I was like you and knew the process of registration anyway and a lot obout childminding so found the briefing a bit of a waste of time!
Good luck with it all:)

Daddy Day Care
30-07-2009, 12:28 PM
I got told I had to attend the course also, it was only a couple of hours long.

The Juggler
30-07-2009, 12:29 PM
most want you to. I think it's to pre-warn you - i.e. what you think job is and them to tell you what it actually is.

I heard on the grapevine at a recent one, prospective minders were really given an eye-opener not to put them off but to ensure they wanted to do it - not sure it was done in the right way.

They were told about the commitment to EYFS, the paperwork and the likelihood of have to do a Level 3 sometime in the future, which they were told probably wouldnt be funded and the ICP might not be funded either!

Mini-tots
30-07-2009, 12:34 PM
Ok thanks. Do you know how I find out where the nearest session is?

Also you say about maybe having to become level 3 qualified in the future.. I have a BTEC in Childhood Studies which is level 3 so I assume this is ok? Do I still need to do the ICP? I am assuming I do?

sweets
30-07-2009, 12:37 PM
You do i'm afraid! i ahve my NNEB but still had to do ICP

Chell
30-07-2009, 01:15 PM
most want you to. I think it's to pre-warn you - i.e. what you think job is and them to tell you what it actually is.

I heard on the grapevine at a recent one, prospective minders were really given an eye-opener not to put them off but to ensure they wanted to do it - not sure it was done in the right way.

They were told about the commitment to EYFS, the paperwork and the likelihood of have to do a Level 3 sometime in the future, which they were told probably wouldnt be funded and the ICP might not be funded either!

Exactly, a few people actually left before the end of mine!

Mini-tots
30-07-2009, 01:19 PM
I realise I still need to do the ICP I was just wondering about what someone said above? Something about having to be level 3 qualified in the future.

MissTinkerbell
30-07-2009, 01:53 PM

Also you say about maybe having to become level 3 qualified in the future.. I have a BTEC in Childhood Studies which is level 3 so I assume this is ok? Do I still need to do the ICP? I am assuming I do?

fraid so - I have a BTEC in Nursery Nursing and an Early Years Teaching degree (NVQ level 7) and I still had to do the ICP.

Mini-tots
30-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Ok so.. (sorry to be a pain!), I go to the pre-reg briefing, do the ICP and then fill out the ofsted reg form and get inspected? Is that the general order?

Daddy Day Care
30-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Again it can differ where you come from, I'm registered but not done my ICP course yet. Its comming up you have to do it within the first 6 months here.

Gareth
xx

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
30-07-2009, 05:34 PM
Ive heard in my area (herts) they are not taking on anymore cm's so there is a yr long waiting list to get on a pre reg meeting

The Juggler
30-07-2009, 05:57 PM

oh sorry, didn't mean to worry you. that's the way it looks like it's going. It's not been passed as legislation yet (I expect it will be). It was just the area DO was using it as one of the "warnings" to put off those who weren't serious.

I imagine your level 3 will be fine but you would still need to do the ICP as it's specific to childminding.

The Juggler
30-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Ive heard in my area (herts) they are not taking on anymore cm's so there is a yr long waiting list to get on a pre reg meeting

:eek: :eek: :eek: a year to get on a briefing! Wow, must be lots of minders in the area. Perhaps that's why our DO was trying to scare off potential new minders?

Mollymop
30-07-2009, 06:06 PM
Ok so.. (sorry to be a pain!), I go to the pre-reg briefing, do the ICP and then fill out the ofsted reg form and get inspected? Is that the general order?

Yes Minitots, that is usually the order. You have to go to the briefing session to sign up to the ICP, they do this to make sure you really want to become a childminder so that they don't waste money and time on some who go on the course and find out it is not for them and don't register.
I think it is worth while and only a few hours long, in the evening.
You usually receive your ofsted application forms at the end of the course. My course was 6/7 weeks long consisting of 2 hours per week, in the evening then a multipul choice test at the end. You will also be offered a first aid course within those 6 weeks which you can do at the weekend or evening.
Once you send off your apl;ication to ofsted you will have a pre=reg inspection within 4 weeks, then you have to wait for you're CRB checks to be completed. I wuold say it takes about 6 to 8 months from briefing session to recieving your registration certificate. May seem a long time, but it does go quite quickly.

HTH

Mollymop
30-07-2009, 06:10 PM

I wonder what it is like in our neck of the woods. I haven't had many enquiries for a while, not like last year, but we weren't in a ression then.
Sometimes I check on directgov website to see if there are any new minders in my twon, there have been 2 since January, I will be pee'd if there are anymore, not with the new minders but with our CSDO's. A lot of use have vacancies, where as a year ago we had none!

Don['t want to put anyone off, I am sure if you can do an ICP course soon, it would mean that there is lots of demand in your area

Mini-tots
30-07-2009, 07:27 PM
So what do the briefing session people pay for? I was assuming I would have to book the ICP course myself, for example with MNT Training or somewhere similar. Do they pay for the course then? Again I was assuming I would.

6-8 months is good for me, gives me time to get organised and I'm not too urgent as have work for now.