PDA

View Full Version : Do you agree?

Harryblackdog
30-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Once more I am pleading for you help with my research for my early years degree.

Everything I have read is telling me that minders are -

female, married or living with a partner, with young children of their own combinig paid work with the care of their own children!

Does this describe you, you only need to post me a yes if you agree.

If you disagree with this statement I would love to know why, particularly if you are male!

Thanks a million

Jan

Daddy Day Care
30-07-2009, 10:09 AM
Certainly doesnt describe me

Pipsqueak
30-07-2009, 10:13 AM
Certainly doesnt describe me

wot you mean you ain't female:eek: :D :laughing:

I suppose it describes me:
female - yes
lives with partner - yes
one young child, two older - yes
combines paid work with own family - yes

what part of the EY degree are you doing? I haven't come across this bit yet

LisaMcNally09
30-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Well.....

Female: yes
Living with partner: no
I have 2 young children
Combining paid work with family yes!!

hth

Lisa:)

Mollymop
30-07-2009, 10:17 AM
It describes me too. I am a mother, living with partner and earning a wage at home so I can be there for my own children.

Hope you get some more replies

Tinglesnark
30-07-2009, 10:23 AM
yes, thats me lol

Jen4Kids
30-07-2009, 10:27 AM
yes thats me

Female, married, four small children and minding to bring in a bit of money, be with my children and not need my own childcare :thumbsup:

~Chelle~
30-07-2009, 10:28 AM
Living with partner: Yes
I have 2 children
Combining paid work with family yes

Hebs
30-07-2009, 10:36 AM
nope not me either :thumbsup:

female - yes
lives with partner - NOPE single
one young child, two older - no 2 older children (ages 9 and 12)
combines paid work with own family - NO - our only source of income

:thumbsup:

Harryblackdog
30-07-2009, 10:38 AM
wot you mean you ain't female:eek: :D :laughing:

I suppose it describes me:
female - yes
lives with partner - yes
one young child, two older - yes
combines paid work with own family - yes

what part of the EY degree are you doing? I haven't come across this bit yet

Thanks for your comments. I am in my second year and its part of my independent research project - childminding in the 21st century! would not recomend this as a research area though as the literature is rather limited!

amirose
30-07-2009, 11:00 AM
Female: Yes
Married or living with a partner: Yes
With young children of their own: No I don't have any children
Combinig paid work with the care of their own children: No this is my only source of income and I don't have any children!

sunnysmile
30-07-2009, 11:03 AM
female married didn't start as a childminder until my own child had started school. I saw this as a career choice not a way to look after my own child and earn extra. I was already a qualified nursery nurse so thought I should put my qualification to some use once my child was in school.

rickysmiths
30-07-2009, 11:03 AM
Female - Yes
Lives with Partner - yes married
Children - now 16 and 14
Combines paid work with family life

I started childminding 15 years ago as a way to stay at home and look after my own children. In the early years as my earning capacity was restricted because I had my children my aim was to pay for a family holiday each year and a few extras.
As the years have moved on and the children have got older I have chosen to increase my childminding (yes I really love my work) to the point I actually earn the same as my Primary School Teacher husband and am about to start working with an assistant.

All this still allows me to be at home for my children, who despite their age still need me. My 16yr old said when she finished her GCSEs that she was so glad I was around at home. If I had been out every day she would have probably have gone out with friends every day and wandered around so she wasn't at home on her own.

I think the greatest thing for me is that this job has been organic and meets the needs of me and my family as the years go by. Something I don't believe I would have had if I had continued in 'Paid' Employment.

Tatjana
30-07-2009, 11:32 AM
Yes that's me too!

xx

DIPPY DOUGHNUT
30-07-2009, 11:34 AM
yep discribes me to!

female, married with 2 children one is 2 and the other 3 and combines paid work with own family.
:)

RainbowMum
30-07-2009, 11:54 AM
Yes, thats me:thumbsup:

emler
30-07-2009, 11:56 AM
And me!!!! :)

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
30-07-2009, 12:02 PM
yes

but i have been registered for 3 years but only had my baby 9 months ago

Star
30-07-2009, 12:04 PM
No. Definately don't agree. This is stereotyping. I am female, but single, no partner and I have one child who is now 19yrs and out to work. I have only been childminding while he has been a teenager. When he was younger I worked in other types of settings.
Childminders can be any age, sex, marital status, nationality, children or no children, old or young children and with differeing backgrounds of knowledge and experience to bring to their business, whether it be as a mother, ex-teacher, pre-school assisstant, etc. And come to childminding for many different reasons not just to be at home with younger children.
I know lots of childminders and everybodys situation is different in some way. We are all unique!
Does that make sense?!

:thumbsup:

The Juggler
30-07-2009, 12:32 PM
I fall into all your categories (sorry forum won't let me just answer yes).

I know from previous threads there are quite a few members who are or used to mind before having children

Polly2
30-07-2009, 12:38 PM
Yes I am married, 4 kids,(16,14,12 &7)
and I started childminding when my youngest went to school because I missed having babies around and also I knew I would have to find some sort of childcare once I found a job.

I never thought it would be going so well and I actually earn more than my hubby who is a gardener.

I view cm as a career and so much more than just a way of bringing in the pennies :thumbsup:

loocyloo
30-07-2009, 12:44 PM
yes, i'm married, have young children, am female, but my income is vital to the family.

but also, i have worked in childcare for 20 yrs, and was a nanny when my eldest Ds was little, then decided to work from home, as i couldn't find a nanny job i wanted to do!

x

Alibali
30-07-2009, 06:39 PM
Yes, but I didn't start until my youngest had started school, so possibly slightly different reasons than just for being there with my own children

Twinkles
30-07-2009, 06:56 PM

Married: yes

Children : All grown up

Gizmo
30-07-2009, 07:00 PM
yes thats me too :thumbsup:

Saranotts
30-07-2009, 07:02 PM
Yep, its me to a tee.:)

Sara

Roseolivia
30-07-2009, 07:03 PM
Yes..... .....

cher25
30-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Female, Yes
Living with partner, Yes
Kids of my own, No not yet.

I was doing supply Teaching assistant jobs, worked in nurseries as there wasnt many school's wanting someone so young. Didn't like the nurseries, which was originally what i had alway's wanted to do.
Once my dp and i bought a house, i decided i like the idea of working for myself, as quite shy and going out to work made me very nervous. Working from home, im comfortable and also getting to do what i have alway's wanted to do. The bonus is when i do eventually have children then i will be home for them.

jeanybeany
30-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Yes, I fit all them apart from I was already a Nursery Nurse working in a Childrens Centre and saw minding of more as a progression on from that to keep me doing what I love and being at home for my family as well. I saw it as combining the two.

fun house
30-07-2009, 07:38 PM
Yes thats me too.

RachelE
30-07-2009, 08:36 PM
Yes me too :thumbsup:

childmind04
30-07-2009, 08:38 PM
Yes thats me :)

cherry pink
30-07-2009, 09:05 PM
female yes

married/partner...no single mum

children ...yes dd 15 years old been cm for 12+ years

income.. sole provider/ no other income/maintenance so vital to live pay bills etc..

i think cm's are ypically stereotyped, there seems to be more guys joining us now and are doing a very good job too..
yes the majority of us are parents but we are also professionals delivering a very valuable service and so deserve more recognition for this...
there are not many that do this for so called pocket money, we do it to pay our bills and because we love our job, we dont ask for medals, in fact we ask for very little really, a bit of appreciation for our hard work and professionalism would be great and a little more common sense from ofsted..

tashaleee
30-07-2009, 10:00 PM
Nope not me... I am:

Female - yes
Married - yes
Young Children - no mine are 10 and 14
Combining jobs - no this is my only income

I do think a lot of minders would fall into this stereotyping category BUT a lot are being put off by the paperwork as its no longer an 'easy' route. Childminders are now gaining more and more professional qualifications than ever. I will admit when I first started it was because my youngest was under 2, I was a single parent, and I needed to earn money to pay our mortgage. I didnt want someone else looking after my child. However, I have stayed way beyond that, part completed my degree, and see my setting as a business.

Also my husband is my assistant - and families like the fact their children have a positive male role model in their lives

tulip0803
30-07-2009, 10:11 PM
Living with partner: Yes
Young children : 6, 12 & 17 (when I first started first time DD1 was 3 & DS was 8)
Combining paid work with family: yes - Although I love minding and have worked elsewhere after moving and re-reg last year cos nothing else could compare with the enjoyment I get

ORKSIE
30-07-2009, 10:14 PM
I am not male or female, I am an ORK. But I live with DH and 2.4 children :D

atmkids
30-07-2009, 10:28 PM
Yep that's me, married with 3 kids and started minding as youngest child started school.

Spangles
30-07-2009, 11:03 PM
Yes, describes me.