PDA

View Full Version : Help with research into minding

Harryblackdog
30-07-2009, 09:52 AM
Doing research into childminding for my early years degree and could really do with some more points of view.

Did you work before becoming a minder or have you always been a minder? if you did work it would be useful to know what you did?

Do you see youself as a career or short term minder? If you are only minding in the short term when do you intend to finsh?

I know the questions are a little strange - but that research!

Thanks for looking. I reaaly apprecite you help.

Jan

sarah707
30-07-2009, 09:58 AM
I qualified as an educational audiologist and then worked as a typographer.

I came into minding when my daughter was born.

I only meant to do it for a few years... she is 16 this year :o

:D

helenlc
30-07-2009, 10:04 AM
I have a Btec Nursery Nurse qualification and worked in a pre-school when my children were there. I then worked as a nanny where I was lucky enough to be able to take my own 2 children along. They were 9 and 7 when that particular job finished.

I wanted a job where I could take my children along and couldnt find another nanny job, so got into childminding.

Havent thought about when to finish although will do at least another 2 years til my daughter has finished Primary School. But now I have been my own boss and can come and go pretty much as I please, I am not sure I could do anything else!!

Currently have been doing this since October 2007.

marian
30-07-2009, 10:04 AM
Before minding I was a Registered sick children's nurse.

I planned on minding untill my youngest went to secondary school - He goes Sept 2010 but I have no plans to give it up - having too much fun! :)

Marian x

Helen79
30-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I was a nursery nurse before I started childminding. When I had my 2nd child it seemed silly for me to pay 2 sets of childcare fees (would have been more than my hourly wage) when I could be doing the same job at home.

I'll still be minding until my son starts school in 4 years time. After that I'm not sure.

Tinglesnark
30-07-2009, 10:16 AM
Doing research into childminding for my early years degree and could really do with some more points of view.

Did you work before becoming a minder or have you always been a minder? if you did work it would be useful to know what you did?

I originally trained to run a kennel and cattery and did dog training and grooming, then i ran a bar in spain...ive worked on a checkout in tesco and in newlook...ive worked in asda and stables...ive done so many things!

Do you see youself as a career or short term minder? If you are only minding in the short term when do you intend to finsh?

for me, at first, the idea was just a short term thing whilst my children were still babies, with a view to becoming a teacher in the future BUT i now want this to be my career! i am so excited about this venture! i dont intend to finish! i want another 2 children of my own and i can have that and still earn money this way! i'm going to end up the old waoman that lived in a shoe! haha!

hmmm for some reason my post is too short and have to add at least 10 words to my post...so im just adding this dribble ...very confuddled with some of these rules :/ lol
oooh i get it...its cos ive used the quote box...ahhaaaa no more confuddlement lol:thumbsup:

Pipsqueak
30-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Yes I worked prior to being a minder:

i worked with young children and done my NNEB many moons ago
I moved into office work and became a darned good PA!!!:D
I then got partnered up, had first child and went into p/t retail work
moved back to childcare - childminding by time 2nd child came along - had to pack it up after 18 months due to various reasons
came back to it 4 years ago or so and have gone full pelt into it

Can't really say if its long or short term at the moment - just seeing where it all takes me.

Daddy Day Care
30-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I worked for 10 years, in the catering department at our local hospital, started as a kitchen porter, last 4 years was a supervisor.

Hated the job, and my wife loved her part-time job so decided to have a role reversal she went full-time and i quit my job.

Was a house husband for around a year before i applied to be a childminder

Gareth
xx

Mollymop
30-07-2009, 10:25 AM
Yes I worked before being a childminder. I worked as a shift manager at a food plant and then on to a Quality Assurance manager.

I gave up work after going back to work after maternity leave, found it very difficult to juggle working long hours and looking being there for an 8 month old and my, then 6 year old. I was asked to do overtime at short notice and had lots of audits where I couldn't leave until the customer had gone. My sil used to look after both of my children for me while I worked but she let me down so many times that I decided to be a stay at home mum.

What made me realise I would like to become a childminder was when I looked after my niece and nephew in the school hols, I realised I could gt paid for doing something I enjoyed so I began the reg process after a few years.

I hope to be a minder for as long as I feel I am enjoying it all, who knows really.

Hebs
30-07-2009, 10:38 AM

I worked full time before i became a minder, well i did until i was made redundant

I will continue as long as i can provide for my own family :thumbsup:

The Juggler
30-07-2009, 12:19 PM
I worked as an HR Advisor - keeping staff and managers in line is much like dealing with children - ha, ha!! - sorry I know it's research so meant to be serious. I had a postgraduate diploma in HR Management (but never took a degree - I studied as a mature student at the grand old age of 25).

I went back to work after both my children finally trying out my career in childminding when youngest was 2 1/2. I used a childminder for both. My lovely minder was who inspired me to try it myself.

Wasn't really sure, was going to see how it went. I started studying childhood/childcare and have carried out. Think eventually this will take me out of minding but not because I don't enjoy it anymore just because of the changes I would like to try and influence locally (in childminding)

miffy
30-07-2009, 12:40 PM
I worked in the Civil Service but after my second child was born it wasn't worth me working because the child care costs were so high (no govt help in those days).

I registered to look after a friend's little boy when our son's were 2 years old. I thought I might carry on until they went to school.
The boys are 22 now and I'm still minding ................... :rolleyes:

HTH's
Miffy xx

Polly2
30-07-2009, 12:46 PM
I looked into childminding when my youngest went to school as a way of earning but still being able to be there for my 4 children.

Before I had kids I worked in shops and did some reception jobs, but all I really wanted to do was have a big family.

When I got pg I left work and taught the piano from home - this was mostly evening work so my dh could have the babies while I did it.

Once my youngest went to school I decided I wanted my evenings free again so I registered as a cm but I still taught piano for a while as well untill I was up to my full numbers with the cm then I gave up teaching piano mostly because I was just too exhausted :rolleyes:

I love cm and plan to continue - I have my level 3 qualification and am going on to do foundation degree in September in early years

loocyloo
30-07-2009, 12:52 PM
i did my NNEB when i left school, and worked as a nanny/nursery nurse in a nursery school, both in the UK and Australia. (trained in Montessori methods in my 'spare' time !!! ) i continued to nanny when my DS was little, then decided to work from home, as i couldn't find a nanny job i wanted to do!

it is a career for me, having always worked in childcare, although i fantasize about 'lunch hours', i couldn't think of anything else i would want to do! although i have my NNEB and am montessori trained, i have recently completed my DHC in order to 'up date ' my qualifications, and am looking into further education in the childcare sector!

my children are 7 & 4, and i plan to childmind until they have left school, as i feel teenagers need you as much, if not more than little ones.

however, thats not to say that i may not do part time work, back with the nursery school i used to work in, as i'm still in & out of there with minded children! or maybe move into being a teachers assistant during school hours, allowing me to mind older children afterschool and in the holidays.

Roseolivia
30-07-2009, 12:58 PM

Did you work before becoming a minder or have you always been a minder? if you did work it would be useful to know what you did

I worked fulltime for 3yrs as a NVQ childcare trainer/assessor for a training provider before being made redundant. Before that was a nursery nurse for 12yrs.

Do you see youself as a career or short term minder? If you are only minding in the short term when do you intend to finsh

Initially only minding until Rose goes to fulltime school. Want another baby though and enjoy working at home and being my own boss so we'll see.

Jan

:thumbsup:

Dom's Mam
30-07-2009, 02:43 PM
I worked as a civil servant on benefit processing for 19 years before childminding
Initially started minding as my sister needed reasonably priced childcare and the local nursery was overpriced, also my own son needed me at home as we had lost my Dad to cancer and he was devod.
I see myself minding for the forseeable future although the current economic climate may change that, as if Corus closes all my mindees Dads will be unemployed:panic:

mandy moo
30-07-2009, 03:56 PM
Child care is really all I've done.
(Apart from a short spell in a reservations office for 8 yrs)
Youth Training Scheme, a course in Childcare
NNEB when I was 21,
and now to finish my DHBC to update my self.

Paid or voluntarily, from junior and senior youth clubs from Nannying to Childminding and Pre School to running the Local Mother and Toddler Group.
And working as an LSA at my own kids school.
I will carryon till my youngest has left Primary school, so another 4 yrs,
after that I see myself carrying on but who really knows what will happen in that amount of time.

Alibali
30-07-2009, 06:31 PM
I worked for 20 years as a Registered General nurse and then as a registered midwife.

I did a BSc degree in health studies with the intention of doing a post grad in primary teacher training. To do this I had to find childcare for my 3 children (Mum had done it all before) and realised that childcare was very expensive for 3 kids and also that there was a shortage of childminders in my area - couldn't find anyone to have them!!

Lo and behold I became a child minder myself in June 2006.

Dh now has a new job which involves being away lots so I don't see myself doing anything else for a long while, plus the fact that I love what I do now:thumbsup:

MissTinkerbell
30-07-2009, 06:40 PM

Jan

I spent 12 years working as an Early Years teacher before deciding to put my family first and start childminding to be at home with them. I've been minding now for almost a year.

When I went into it I decided that I would just mind whilst my own little ones were at home and then when they went to school I would go back to teaching, or at least supply teaching. However after 6 months of minding I decided that this was what I wanted to do even when my own children started school. I still use all my teaching skills and experience but am my own boss and am still here for my own children.

nannymcflea
30-07-2009, 06:50 PM
Before Childminding: 13 years as a private nanny in various households, including one with titles! Part time in an interior design business that one mother owned.

After Childminding:I'd like to finish in august when we move but cannot see it happening as I cannot find a job that would give me the flexibility and satisfaction that childminding does. I want to go into reception as a TA, that would be ideal but hens teeth and all that.

Gizmo
30-07-2009, 07:08 PM
I worked in accounts until 2 weeks ago and my kids and 5 1/2 and 2 I have started childminding to hopefully provide a happier life for us as all I seemed to work for was to pay for dd2s nursery. I intend to childmind for a while :thumbsup:

RachelE
30-07-2009, 07:46 PM
Before I was a minder... I qualified as a Nursery Nurse with a BTec.
I then spent a year as an Au Pair in America, worked in a private day nursery for 3 years, was a for Nanny for 2 and half years (all full time)....
then decided to try childminding.

I thought I'd do it until my last child went to school. Well, she goes in Sept2010. - I'm now reassessing and will probably do it until she goes to Secondary school.

HTH.

Mickey Mouse Clubhouse
30-07-2009, 07:57 PM
Before minding I worked in an office looking after 7 reps all over the country, I loved my job and I even miss it now so much, when I lost my job after 14 years I need to re look at what to do so deciding cming.

I have been minding for 6 years now and intend to carry on for at least another 3 ror 4 years until lo goes to school as I would love to be a ta just need to sort out doing my qualifications.

HTH

Playmate
30-07-2009, 08:06 PM
I did NNEB training when I left school, then went straight in to train as a Registered General Nurse. Was working as a Ward Sister when I had my son 17 years ago and after returning to work couldn't find suitable childcare to accommoodate my shifts.
Registered to look after friends LO plus mine and continued to work nights at weekends. Have gone back into full time nursing twice and did a 2 year stint work as a DO for NCMA, each time missed being a CM so returned.
I'm not going anywhere now, until my hubby (works with me) decides its time to retire (he is a bit older than me :D ) I may, depending on how many years I have left and how many of my own kids I'm still supporting :rolleyes: return to the rat race, but I'm not in any hurry :laughing: :laughing: