PDA

View Full Version : Slight problem....

helenlc
30-07-2009, 07:13 AM
I have taken on an almost 2 yr old girl (will be 2 in 2 weeks). She will be coming Monday and Tuesday 8.30 - 1.30 then when school goes back it will be all day Wednesday and Thurssday 11.30-4.30 as well.

Mum has signed contracts and I filled in permission forms, personal details etc etc.

I was playing with her daughter when she filled these in and so didnt see all her responses. Having looked at them after she had gone, I realised on the permissions form she has ticked Yes to everyone except "I give permission for my child to have supervised access to large play equipment in playgrounds, ball parks, the garden etc and that this includes the use of trampolines and bouncy castles"

So what do I do now? I have a large trampoline in the garden but young ones are not allowed on it so I have a small trampoline with handle for them. I have a large Little Tikes slide plus a smaller cube slide and climbing thing.

We go to the park regularly and in term time go to a toddler group at the soft play place every Wednesday morning!!

Do I discuss with Mum what her concerns are and see if I can assure her that her daughter will be safe?

I think she is quite a worrier anyway so I think its stemmed in that. But its going to be impossible to go about our daily activities even going in the garden if she cannot do anything.

Little girl is also rather headstrong from what I can gather so I dont want to be battling with her all the time we are outside somewhere!!!

Help!!

andreaschildcare
30-07-2009, 07:19 AM
Hiya

Yes I would have a chat with mum and see if together you can find a happy medium :)

explain to her how you would be with her child at all times etc

loocyloo
30-07-2009, 07:20 AM
oh, tricky one.

i would talk to mum, and see if she can break it down into what she will allow, maybe she just doesn't want her on the large trampoline.

i have a mum who wouldn't sign permission for the trampoline, until i said i only have a small one at home, friends have a big ones, and i am happy to say no to those! the same mum, intially said no to any travel on public transport ( no seatbelts ) - but after discussion allowed trains, and once her LO is bigger, i can use buses! so her permission form is full of notes!

good luck x

Minstrel
30-07-2009, 07:22 AM
You could explain that the permission form is a general one and used for all mindees.
Its all age appropriate equipment that you want permission for and obviously you aren't going to be putting her on large trampolines/bouncy castles. (well i presume you aren't...)

She may be thinking that she doesn't want her going on LARGE eqipment due to her sixe/age but she needs explaining that for her sge/size this means little slides swings, climbing frames and baby tramploines and stress that its always supervised.

She just sounds like a worrier and you may have to take baby steps with her and the child!

FussyElmo
30-07-2009, 07:25 AM
Think you are going to have to talk to the mum. Speak to her and ask what her concerns are and talk through them.

Perhaps it is the trampoline she is worried about so has declined the use of play equipment.

Poor child if she isnt allowed to play at the park and garden it wont be nice for her to have to sit out when everyone else is playing.

On the flip side parent would probably go mad if you sat her in front of the tv:)

miffy
30-07-2009, 07:35 AM
I agree with all the others, you need to talk this through with mum. Until you know exactly what her concerns are you can't resolve it.

Good luck

Miffy xx

helenlc
30-07-2009, 08:38 AM
Thanks for the responses.

I will talk to mum and explain that although the form says "large play equipment" it just basically means outdoor stuff but I have age and stage appropriate equipment. Therefore her daughter will only go on equipment that is safe for her age.

I dont want to have to send the children in the garden and tell her she cannot go on anything. Likewise I dont want to take them to the park and then haver her sit in the buggy and not go on anything.

And of course, in light of that poor childminder being struck off over the trampoline, I want to make sure I get it right. So I might word an amendment and add it to the permission form saying what she is and isnt allowed on. And then have me and mum sign it.

flora
30-07-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for the responses.

I will talk to mum and explain that although the form says "large play equipment" it just basically means outdoor stuff but I have age and stage appropriate equipment. Therefore her daughter will only go on equipment that is safe for her age.

I dont want to have to send the children in the garden and tell her she cannot go on anything. Likewise I dont want to take them to the park and then haver her sit in the buggy and not go on anything.

And of course, in light of that poor childminder being struck off over the trampoline, I want to make sure I get it right. So I might word an amendment and add it to the permission form saying what she is and isnt allowed on. And then have me and mum sign it.

sounds perfect :thumbsup:

Alibali
30-07-2009, 06:19 PM
Sounds like you've got it sorted:thumbsup:

helenlc
03-08-2009, 08:27 AM
Well, I have discussed it with Mum and explained that although it says the word "large" I only let the children go on age and stage appropriate equipment. I said that I always visit parks that have something for the little ones and big ones and that at soft play I will only allow her in the right section ie Under 3s.

She was fine with this, so I said I would type an amendment to the Permissions slip in light of our conservation and get us both to sign it.

Phew!!