PDA

View Full Version : Daily Diary & a Learning Journal????

Bitsy Beans
29-07-2009, 10:18 PM
forgive my complete ignorance on this. Do you all do a daily diary (to send home with the kids so parents can read) or do you just complete a learning journal that you present at the end of their time with you?

The more I read on here the more confused I get about EVERYTHING :o

sarah707
30-07-2009, 06:45 AM
You need to show evidence of working with parents... it is supposed to be a partnership.

So you do a daily diary for all children - at least until they get to 3 - talking about the highlights of their day and outings... plus any necessary info such as please send clean socks or when the child has slept / eaten and how much.

For babies it must be more detailed eg amounts of milk drunk and when, sleeping routine etc.

You also encourage parents to write in the diary and if they don't ... write anything they tell you in there in a morning so Ofsted see that you are noting what they say.

The child's learning journey is something completely different. it's a memory book of the child's time with you including observations, assessments, notes from the Eyfs, individual planning, summaries of how the child is progressing, photographs, notes from the child, comments and notes from other settings AND comments from the parent...

So it should be shared with the parents as well, but less often.

Hth :D

Bitsy Beans
30-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Sarah - my one and only mindee is 3 so should I not bother doing a daily diary? I know it's a way of showing partnership with parents but when they are bit older what do you normally put in it???

sarah707
30-07-2009, 08:28 AM
That depends on the child!

Some children will twitter away for hours telling their parents all about what you have been up to during the day... others will say nothing.

If you share at least the basics ... we went to the park, we fed the ducks, X played on the swings, X had a good tea (see menu) ... then you are showing evidence of working with parents and it's not a huge amount to write.

I forgot to say, if you have a disabled child I would strongly suggest you write the daily diary every day as you will need a closer working relationship with parents.

There are no age limits given in the Eyfs ... I know some minders who write for 5 and 6 year olds and others who don't fill them in at all... :D

Bitsy Beans
30-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Thanks Sarah, most helpful. At least it demonstrates to Ofsted that I trying to work with the parents. If they choose not to read it then that's up to them.

mabel
30-07-2009, 02:29 PM
I do my daily diaries until they go to school,

Hebs
30-07-2009, 02:35 PM
I do my daily diaries until they go to school,

me too :thumbsup:

as thats when the EYFS for us stops :D