PDA

View Full Version : Just a bit of a moan!!

Jemima77
29-07-2009, 07:17 PM
One of the mindees I look after, her mum is a nanny and I feel like some of the requests she makes to me is as if she is treating me like I am her daughters nanny!!!!!! (if that makes sense?)
I have taken her to groups within the hours I look after her and picked her up and this week I have been back and forward dropping her off at a sports session at the local sports centre. luckily my partner is off in the holidays and so can look after my son whilst I am doing this. (still have to take 1 other mindee with me!!)
Her last request is that as of September could I pick her up from school and take her straight to a dance class about 8 miles away!!!
I have said that I will have to think about it. I dont have any other mindees at that time and she would pay me the usual rate plus petrol expenses but I just feel that she is putting me in a position whereas I HAVE to do it otherwise her daughter would be distraught.
When my son was with a childminder I wouldnt have thought twice about asking her to do anything like take him to a group etc....knowing that she had other mindees to care for. Just feel like she maybe gets bossed about at work and she feels that she should do the same with me!!!!!!!! It also upsets me slightly that she wants her daughter to do things within the time she is with me (weds-fri) cos she will benefit more from doing them than being with me!
sorry to go on just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation?
Thanks

manjay
29-07-2009, 07:22 PM
I would only do something like this if it suited me, for example one of my own children were going. I make parents very aware at the outset that I can't do after school clubs as it is just not fair on the children who are being taken back and to to school. Sounds like she is getting a bit confused between what her job entails and what yours does

Daftbat
29-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I don't pick up or drop off to clubs etc even if they are at the school i collect from. I used to but it got so tiring and it wasn't fair dragging the other children all over the place so i wrote to everyone and said that i would only do normal drop offs and pickups at school. My customers apparently had thought i was mad to offer so no problems!

FussyElmo
29-07-2009, 07:31 PM
I also tell my mindees parents that I will not collect from after school clubs unless it suits me.

I wouldnt be collecting and then dropping her somewhere else it wouldnt be fair on the other mindees and if you do it for one other parents will start to expect it for children.

Think she is blurring the lines between the jobs.

sarah707
29-07-2009, 07:32 PM
Like the others say only do it if it suits you!

You are a childminder, which means you work from home... not your car! Plus as soon as you get other children you will not be meeting their needs by ferrying one child across town will you?

If you are going to start feeling resentful then now is the time to say no. :D

Tinglesnark
29-07-2009, 07:32 PM
is it wrong of me to find it slightly odd that this woman is a nanny to other children and sending her own to a childminder? i dont mean to cause offence btw...i just havent heard of that set up before! :blush:

if you dont want to do it then could you not just say no? explain your reasons y not?

gl x

sweets
29-07-2009, 08:38 PM
is it wrong of me to find it slightly odd that this woman is a nanny to other children and sending her own to a childminder? i dont mean to cause offence btw...i just havent heard of that set up before! :blush:

if you dont want to do it then could you not just say no? explain your reasons y not?

gl x

i think its a bit odd too!

Tinglesnark
29-07-2009, 08:40 PM
i think its a bit odd too!

phew! lol

if she has those quals then surely its only a hop, skip and jump to being a childminder?

anyway! threadjack! sorry OP!

peanuts
29-07-2009, 09:46 PM
i ask at initial meeting if they have any clubs/activities that they attend before i take them on

Pipsqueak
29-07-2009, 09:52 PM
One of the mindees I look after, her mum is a nanny and I feel like some of the requests she makes to me is as if she is treating me like I am her daughters nanny!!!!!! (if that makes sense?)
I have taken her to groups within the hours I look after her and picked her up and this week I have been back and forward dropping her off at a sports session at the local sports centre. luckily my partner is off in the holidays and so can look after my son whilst I am doing this. (still have to take 1 other mindee with me!!)
Her last request is that as of September could I pick her up from school and take her straight to a dance class about 8 miles away!!!
I have said that I will have to think about it. I dont have any other mindees at that time and she would pay me the usual rate plus petrol expenses but I just feel that she is putting me in a position whereas I HAVE to do it otherwise her daughter would be distraught.
When my son was with a childminder I wouldnt have thought twice about asking her to do anything like take him to a group etc....knowing that she had other mindees to care for. Just feel like she maybe gets bossed about at work and she feels that she should do the same with me!!!!!!!! It also upsets me slightly that she wants her daughter to do things within the time she is with me (weds-fri) cos she will benefit more from doing them than being with me!
sorry to go on just wondered if anyone else had been in a similar situation?
Thanks

I know this is going to sound really simplistic - if you don't want to do it - don't. You are NOT a nanny, you set your own conditions and you are not dictated to by this mum - she doesn't employ you - she uses the service you are offering and I am guessing by what you are saying you don't want to offer this taxi service. You don't need to feel bad or guilty for saying no, you are a childminder to fit in with your own family.
If you want to do it - do it temporarily until you get more mindees (at which point you may want to think the situation).

You need to deal with this situation and get whats bothering you sorted (albiet in a nicey nicey way) otherwise the relationship is going to deteriorate.

julie w
29-07-2009, 09:52 PM
I was asked to pick a child up from after school groups, first one night a week, then three. Then parent had the cheek to say they didn t think they should pay me the full after school amount because they were at the school club (drama and choir) just cant win.:panic:

Jemima77
30-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Thanks for your replies...it is a bit wierd isnt it that she is a nanny and I look after her child! I think she asked her employer if she could take her daughter along but they wern't too keen as paying her to look after their child!!!!
Maybe in her mind being a nanny is a better job title than saying she is a childminder!!!!!! (unfortunatley she is that type of person) I would much prefer my job than hers anyday :-) x

nannymcflea
30-07-2009, 06:57 PM
I only do the clubs my own kids go to. If parents want their children to go to clubs and I am not going then I usually say no. I did have one club that was only 30 mins after school, so I took a snack with me for the others and we waited but usually I don't pick up.