PDA

View Full Version : my own DC is becoming hard work

newandlearning
29-07-2009, 07:02 PM
hi.. please can someone offer me advise on the best way to manage my own 2yr old... he can be really clingy in the morning when I'm trying to do sandwiches for 6 and pretty much anything else.. he's calm and great when we are out.. grumpy around lunch time.. then sleeps 2 hours.. and around 4pm is grumpy again and wants me to pick him up .. this means I have to prepare dinner during lunch quiet time as otherwise he screams for me the whole time I'm trying to prep dinner if done around 4pm..:panic: :panic: .. oddly today when everyone left today he sorta calmed down :rolleyes: .. possibly having extra LOs around is all a bit too much for him..

but I'd be really grateful for some ideas on how to manage this ... today the others all tried to do puzzles in the afternoon and my 2yr old was merrily chucking their bits everywhere.. everyone had to ellevate themselves to higher, calmer group.:laughing: .. I chuckle and I realise some of this is just the beauty of being a 2yr old...

the only thing I can think of doing his make him his own little treasure chest of toys.. just his .. for his entertainment only?? what do ya think?

Bitsy Beans
29-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Have similar issues with a clingy 12 month old daughter! I am only having 1 child for one day a week at the mo as I seriously don't think I could manage any more than that with her. She's not yet walking and wants to hold hands and walk round and round and round.......all day :eek:
I'd never be able to do the obs etc if I had loads of children all week. They'd never get a look in.

His own box of things sounds like a good idea but you know what they are like, want to be in the thick of things :) My daughter especially when the lego is around :eek:

Daftbat
29-07-2009, 07:19 PM
It sounds like its an attention issue and the other children being there is adding to it. I wouldn't worry however as iam sure that with a bit of help he will overcome the insecurity.

Make sure that when you are dealing with the other children you include him to some degree even if its to just talk to him whilst you are doing something else. Exercise your inclusion policy and include him in as much as possible that everyone else is doing even if its adapted to death!

Plenty of hugs for him and time devoted to his interests or even just cuddling together on the sofa. You only need to do this for minutes at a time for the effect to be realised.

Hope it settles soon:thumbsup:

Tinglesnark
29-07-2009, 07:26 PM
hmm, i do think that this is generally part of being a toddler anyway. charlie is 2 and a half and he is a lot better at sharing me now than he was when Ol was born. he used to be dreadful if anyone so much as knocked on the door! i havent started minding yet but i plan to introduce the mindees as friends for charlie during the settling in visits. i make a point of including charlie when we have visitors...little things like giving him the responsibility of passing round the biscuits...
maybe you could get your lo to 'help' make the sandwiches? could you perhaps sit with the mindees whilst they do something but have lo on your lap untill he takes an interest? its all about reaasurance(sp) really adn that takes time and patience...

good luck! i can see me posting the exact same problem in the next fe weeks haha!

x

beckyteddy
29-07-2009, 07:37 PM
My two year old was a pain in the bum today aswell!! It wasn't puzzles though, it was the marble run and then it was kicking his brother while he was quietly watching the telly......just to gain attention, I reckon. I would say it's a very common issue in 2 year olds in general and to just try and keep your chin up while he runs you ragged!!

If it helps, feel free to imagine me picking up pieces of marble run every time you are picking up scattered pieces of puzzle.....it might make you feel less alone in your troubles!!

LeanneC
29-07-2009, 08:40 PM
hiya

I have an almost 2 yr old dd, 2 at the end of next month... well she has started pinching the new mindee of 3yrs. Everytime my back is turned she jumps him!! Im having to seperate them and even take her to the toilet with me as otherwise shes on the naughty step for pinching and J is crying is eyes out :panic: If she see's me coming though she will turn the pinch attack into a cuddle and say awww and kiss him!! Today has been a good day she has only pinched twice and they have actually been kissing and hugging, sweet really. Some days though it doesnt help as J acts as though he is scared to death of her and ignores her which only fuels the situation as she is like me and hates being ignored.
Sooo i reckon it's one of those things that EVEYONE tells me oooh she'll grow out of clingy, moody, pinching... bring on the teens!

Tinglesnark
29-07-2009, 08:43 PM
If she see's me coming though she will turn the pinch attack into a cuddle and say awww and kiss him!!

im sorry chick but that had me hooting with laughter...i can just picture it ! pmsl :laughing:

LeanneC
29-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Yes it's true lol

I reckon she's been here before.... she knows all the tricks

Tinglesnark
29-07-2009, 08:57 PM
hahahaha classic!