PDA

View Full Version : which type of double buggy?

mabel
29-07-2009, 06:10 PM
I am going to have to purchase a twin buggy, in the past I have had side by side but I would love your advice on which you prefer side by side or tandem
so pro's and con's would be great to hear.

I do have a wide front door so access is not a problem.

PixiePetal
29-07-2009, 06:21 PM
For side by side, the out and about 360 is great for kids and pushing:thumbsup:

It wouldn't fit through my front door so I got a Jane Twin Two tandem, lovely but bulky. Nice to push, but not if you are short. I have heard the Jane 3 wheel tandem is good?

Lots of people round my way(mums and minders) have phil and teds with the second seat. I didn't go for that as chances are that I would have 2 chunky 2 year olds who would not be too comfy.

Mountain buggies are great for rough terrain. Expensive even second hand.

I have my old Maclaren side by side but hate pushing it now I have something smoother. Makes my back ache but useful for if you drive and need to get it in and out of a car for short trips.

Any use or confused you more ? :laughing:

Good luck:D

mabel
29-07-2009, 06:24 PM
no, you have helped me thanks....

yes I am short and I get back ache just pushing my normal buggy !

the height of pushchair makes a big difference

manjay
29-07-2009, 06:30 PM
Out n about 360 for me. I love it

Bitsy Beans
29-07-2009, 06:30 PM
I purchased a seocnd hand Mothercare Pheonix tandem pushchair. It's easy to push/turn, isn't ridiculously heavy and has loads of leg room and under chair space.
Only downside if buying brand new you have to buy the rain cover separately but when it's all on and it's tipping it down it's really cosy in there. Rain cover velcro fastens at the back so it does keep everything dry, not just the children.

PixiePetal
29-07-2009, 06:32 PM
no, you have helped me thanks....

yes I am short and I get back ache just pushing my normal buggy !

the height of pushchair makes a big difference

An adjustable handle would be good then, think the out n about has one.
Don't get a Jane twin Two as it is high, and a short minder friend had a kids kargo one which lifted her off the floor to turn it :laughing: :laughing: She has now borrowed a phil and ted from a mum

Twinkles
29-07-2009, 06:45 PM
I love my tandem pushchair. You can fit two babies, a picnic , bag of drinks, bag of spare clothes , potty , bag of buckets and spades , basket of coffee cups and flask , change bag.....................guess what we've been doing today :laughing:

Jellytotzjulia
29-07-2009, 08:56 PM
I've just had to buy a new double buggy myself 3 weeks ago, as old one folded in on its self, yes while kids were in it!!:eek: whilst on way for school run. Any way I got a Graco dou sport off ebay brand new,in box, with raincover for £79!!! :laughing:,does the job just fine.nice & light, even with a chunky 2ys old & 12m mindee.
its worth taking a look. it was a great bargain, for a unexpectered pay out.

Julia:thumbsup:

mushpea
30-07-2009, 06:08 AM
i have two and love them both, i have a graco duo sport, its light and easy to push and even with a heavey toddler on a buggy board on the bak i could stil push it one handed if needed it fits throug doorways too, the 2nd one is a urban detour double, i got this for rough terrain as some days i have to walk the dog over the woods, its brill for rough terrain and so ligh and easy to push, the only downside is its very wide and we had to take a bit of our back gate to get it through and even then i have to take a weel off to push throug the gate wich is fun when ones asleep!
i did have a mother care hauck tandem but it was far to heavy and awkard to push, i had it for a week then sold it cause it was making me ache all over trying to push it, go forwards was fine but tring to steer it round corners was very hard and heavy

balloon
30-07-2009, 06:37 AM
I have a phil and teds inline double sport - fab but I walk into the back of the 2nd seat when it's reclined.

a mountain buggy double urban - excellent, best double I've ever had but big to store unless you remove wheels, also heavy to lift but a total dream to push even when laden with 2 big children and a basket full. (fits thru doorways)

a maclaren double triumph - ok does the job but makes my back ache, baskets are useless when seats reclined and not that comfy but great for chucking in the car/quick trips to the local park etc (fits thru doorways)

I used to have a M&P twin beat, too big to fit through doorway even though it said they do, hood have to be removed to fold and lay back mechanism broke after using it for about a month - not recommended!

I used to have a phil and teds inline Vibe which was quite possibly the worst double I've ever bought! (but fab as a single!)

Tandems tend to be very front heavy and a nightmare to go up curbs etc, try it before you buy it with an older child in front seat!

andreaschildcare
30-07-2009, 07:21 AM
Hi

I would go for Phil and Teds every time and would never even contemplate a different double now :)

so versatile and i just love it :clapping:

loocyloo
30-07-2009, 07:27 AM
i've got the urban detour side by side - just love it ( on my second one, after 1st died, after many years use ( i was its 3rd owner, after 2 sets of twins LOL! )

also use a maclaren double for when i take the car!

i have just seen in the mothercare catalogue that phil and ted do a side by side double - that interested me. i'm not struck on the tandams where the child at the back can only see the seat infront!

have fun!

xxx

childmind04
30-07-2009, 07:36 AM
It would be the phil and ted for me, love the 360 but its too big for my doors and i use public transport too :)

Downside to phil and ted is storage and i keep getting puntures but i think thats just me as my friend does not :idea:

Gizmo
30-07-2009, 07:37 AM
Hi I have just got a Graco twin stroller folds up quite small and fits into the back of my Fiesta, I got it from Tesco direct for £77 Argos have the same one for £99 comes with a rain cover as well :thumbsup:

tigger
30-07-2009, 08:56 AM
I've got a side by side mama's and papa's aria. Folds down really small and fits in the back of my Zafira with all seat up, which is an absolute joy. It's lightweight and easy to open and put away. Got it second hand off ebay and still going strong.

helenlc
30-07-2009, 09:59 AM
If I walked everywhere and space and price were not an issue, I would go for Mountain Buggy double. I used one of these when I was a nanny for twins and it was a dream!

But as I do drive, I have just invested in a Maclaren Twin Techno - second hand off Ebay for £64 with all accessories.

I had a Garco DuoSport before and that was lovely, especially the big basket underneath when all the kids come out of school and chuck their lunch bags, school bags and coats in there. Unfortunately it didnt fit through my loft hatch and I had nowhere else to store it when not in use. At least an umbrella one can go in the loft out the way when not being used.

Phil and Teds look good but I have 2 toddlers I mind and dont think both will be equally comfortable in it, personally.

Tinglesnark
30-07-2009, 10:33 AM
ive got the ICandy pear for my 2 and its ace! love it! it is a bit cumbersome but the kids are so comfortable it in and it can go from a tandem to a single and u can add a buggy board and a buggy pod...i do love my i candy pear lol flaming expensive tho....i tried the p&t vibe and i HATED IT! charlie is a big boy and was uncomfortable in the sideby sides and i just dont like the janes...

i do like the mountain buggys tho...

hmmmmmmmmmm

flora
30-07-2009, 04:09 PM
i'm with manjay....

nipper out and about :clapping: totally fab in or out of town, copes with allsorts.

light to push, easy to fold down, big enough for 2 3yr olds , load s of spca for shopping etc.

perfect combination :clapping:

fionamal
30-07-2009, 04:37 PM
I have a WE2 Combi and love it as it folds in half and then doubles over again so take up no room at all for storage. Its a dream to push even with 2 heavy kids in it , the only downside is the shopping baskets arent very big but you can get change bags, school bags etc in them.

Over the years ive tried most of the doubles and this one so far is the best

sweets
30-07-2009, 04:45 PM
theres a lady near me, a grandma that looks after her 2 toddler grandchildren that has a BIG old fashioned silver cross pram, the children in it look so comfy! they face each other and theres planty of room for toys too! I spoke to her the other day and admired the pram, she said she used it for her children when they were little and had 3 in it at once. The only downside she said was that it was a ****** (her words) to get into shops! lol.:laughing:

ajs
30-07-2009, 04:46 PM
i have an urban detour too, i bought it off ebay for £23 best money i have ever spent,
the kids are comfortable and i can carry loads of shopping under it and in the hood too. it is wide but i have worked out what shops i can get into and only go into normal size doors when i am not working

i can't imagine it will last much longer as it's a bit knackered now so i think i will need to buy a new one soonish but it is great and very easy to push even single handed

Rubybubbles
30-07-2009, 06:19 PM
I've got a phil & teds, best buy ever:clapping: had it 4 years and only changed 2 tyres:rolleyes: conkers dont go collecting with the pushchair lol

LOVE it