PDA

View Full Version : mindee can't accept compliments.

chewy sweets
29-07-2009, 04:37 PM
My mindee is very good at arts and crafts and he's only 6.
The problem is when he's drawing or painting i compliment him saying-"That's a lovely colour you've chosen or your painting very well"
He absolutly hates it and today told me to shut up.
Don't know if it's because he's :blush: .
Should i stop??????

sweets
29-07-2009, 04:40 PM
aah bless! i wouldn't stop complimenting him but don't make a big thing about it, just say in passing thats a really good picture ?? and then go on to say something else completely different so that he doesn't really have to react to your comment.:)

sarah707
29-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Maybe he thinks it's a bit babyish to be complimented ... some boys, especially with fathers who want them to be tough, are like that.

You could ask interested questions instead - how did you make that section? That's an interesting colour, how did you mix it? ... those sorts of things maybe? :D

miffy
29-07-2009, 07:09 PM
No point in locking horns with him on this. Sarah's approach is a good idea, good luck!

Miffy xx

nannymcflea
29-07-2009, 07:12 PM
Apparently when the teacher used to compliment my hubby on the stuff he made he would throw it on the floor.:laughing: He hasn't changed!

chewy sweets
29-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Great advice given. Many thanks! Will try tomorrorw!!:clapping:

beckyteddy
29-07-2009, 07:47 PM
As long as you don't feel silly doing it, you could try saying stuff like "that's a cool picture" or "doesn't your xxxxxxx look ace/fab/wicked"?

A bit of street talk might be more credable to him than a "lovely"!

Or could you ask him if he likes his own work and then just say "oh, I'm glad you like it, I'm pleased that your happy with what you've done" then you've kind of avoided a direct compliment but still made a positive comment.

Spangles
29-07-2009, 07:55 PM
I like the 'street talk' idea - it made me giggle! Just imagine you sitting there like Ali G doing all the hand gestures and everything with all the lingo!

Sorry I'm in a stupid mood!