PDA

View Full Version : DH has swine flu and I've stayed open

Zoomie
29-07-2009, 03:57 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last night, we realised why DH has been feeling poorly. Did the online assessment etc, and he has 6/7 of the symptoms, though thankfully not V&D.

Anyhow, I mind for one family, so I called them last night. We have decided between us, that as I am well and no one has V&D, they want the children to continue coming, so I have stayed open.

Mindees dad is a paramedic so they are of the opinion that the children will probably be getting the flu, either via him, my house or standing near a stranger who has it. Its too wide spread now in our community to really contain it anymore.

sarah707
29-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I think that's a sensible way of looking at it...

Hope dh feels better soon! :D

childmind04
29-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I can see your reasoning but i would be wary in case their children got it and they still sent them, them you got it :eek:

i know the parents i mind for would do that, they have ignored all my letters/information and sent their ds doped up with calpol then had a awful attitude with me when i had to ring them at 3pm after his nap as he had a temp of 39.2 :angry:

balloon
30-07-2009, 06:26 AM
What if their child did catch it? What if it was then fatal for their child? What if the parent who is now so understanding decided to sue you as a result (as the parent of the trampoline accident child did)? I'm sure they'd have a hard time proving it but there's still the trauma to consider...

Also if the children then caught swine flu in the next few days/week the parent(s) could expect you to care for them since the probability would be that they caught it from your setting...

Your decision obviously, but please think about those things.

At the very least I'd get it in writing that the parent has been made aware that you have swine flu in the house and whether or not you'd be prepared to care for their children if/when they catch it.

Daftbat
30-07-2009, 07:08 AM
I think that since you were unaware for a while then if there were to be any passing on of the virus it would probably have been done by now anyway and no parent would have a leg to stand on re sueing.

I would assume that if your hubby has felt unwell hel has probably kept himself to himself anyway and so contamination is likely to be minimal.

I am likely to be controversial here but i really wish that we (the whole country), could accept the fact that this is flu and not the plague. Every year 2000 people die from normal flu viruses and yes, we should all take precautions in general to stop cross infection, and yes there are more cases of this flu than ordinary flu but added to this is the fact that most people are getting quite mild symptoms which their bodies can sort out in a reasoanbly short time.

I am not treating swine flu in any other way than other contagious illnesses. I.e after confirmation of illness i assess the chances of cross contamination and open or close my doors appropriately. If a member of my family catches it i will segregate them just like i would for D&V etc.

I am sure that the OP has done everything she can and has acted responsibly.

balloon
30-07-2009, 07:19 AM
If a member of my family catches it i will segregate them just like i would for D&V etc.

Quite agree that it's just like the normal flu etc, I personally wouldn't mind if I had that in the house either but it's individual choice, in either case I'm not passing judgement just putting forward things to think about.

Just wondering though, I thought it was OFSTED rules that we did not mind when we had a D&V bug in the house. Have I misunderstood that? (I'm concerned cos I've lost money in the past and inconvenienced parents when I've closed for the safety of the minded children when my poorly teenage children could have just stayed upstairs perhaps?)

wendywu
30-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I have always just kept my poorly teenagers upstairs in the past and i have never closed.

But i would get it in writing that parents have been made aware your DH has swine flu.

Daftbat
30-07-2009, 09:05 AM
Quite agree that it's just like the normal flu etc, I personally wouldn't mind if I had that in the house either but it's individual choice, in either case I'm not passing judgement just putting forward things to think about.

Just wondering though, I thought it was OFSTED rules that we did not mind when we had a D&V bug in the house. Have I misunderstood that? (I'm concerned cos I've lost money in the past and inconvenienced parents when I've closed for the safety of the minded children when my poorly teenage children could have just stayed upstairs perhaps?)

I have never closed unless i personally am ill, or my child was ill and so young that i could not segragate. I have an en suite bathroom in my room and on the rare occassions my children have been ill they have been moved in to there and used the bathroom attached thereby removing chances of infection. I have also practiced barrier nursing methods so that i can stop cross contamination. Same thing with hubby - i have slept downstairs too to stop me passing anything on.

balloon
30-07-2009, 09:42 AM
Thank you for clearing that up Penny. My mindees are too young to use the bathroom so I don't need to worry about that side of things (and I'm a microbiologist so have the 'germs' sorted too, lol!). My parents will be very relieved if I don't have to close when my children are ill (not too sure the children will be though...) and so will my bank manager, lol!.

I wonder how many other ofsted 'rules' I've misunderstood. :blush:

childmind04
30-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Like others have said ages, space and other things come into choosing to stay open and closed, for me there are too many reasons not to stay open, one bathroom and a few children using it, i am also asthmatic and the mindee who has had it has been very poorly with a chest infection on top, and i go on holiday in 4 weeks and i might sound a bit selfish but i work hard and dont want my time off being spent poorly

Illness has not been to much of an issue thankfully for me, one of my mindees was poorly yesterday and i had to phone mum in the end as he was just crying, temp and had not ate, i got permission for calpol and dad came a bit earlier for him, he snatched him from me (only 1) then i got a snotty text saying E poorly wont be with you today!!! I know these parents would not think twice about sending a poorly child and risk infecting others :rolleyes:

Winnie
30-07-2009, 07:53 PM
I think you are taking a risk going against the guidance. Most people will get over it but thats not the point, if you dont mind me saying.

ORKSIE
30-07-2009, 08:09 PM
:eek: :eek: :eek:

Last night, we realised why DH has been feeling poorly. Did the online assessment etc, and he has 6/7 of the symptoms, though thankfully not V&D.

Anyhow, I mind for one family, so I called them last night. We have decided between us, that as I am well and no one has V&D, they want the children to continue coming, so I have stayed open.

Mindees dad is a paramedic so they are of the opinion that the children will probably be getting the flu, either via him, my house or standing near a stranger who has it. Its too wide spread now in our community to really contain it anymore.
If you have the ok in writing from your parents then I cant see a problem. As has been said we can all get this from pubic places anyway. Hope your DH is well soon:thumbsup:

zillervalley
30-07-2009, 09:32 PM
if its in writing it should be ok

ziller