PDA

View Full Version : How long till you got your first mindee?

jemima
29-07-2009, 01:28 PM
Hi everyone :) I got my ofsted certificate last week and I know it takes time to get your first mindee but I was just wondering how long everyone else had to wait. I am so eager to start now and the phone isn't ringing its very frustrating. :ohdear: :excited: :ohdear:

Minstrel
29-07-2009, 01:53 PM
I'm not the best person to be answering this but I'm still waiting!!!!!!

Had my cert about 9 /10 weeks now and have some ad-hoc care in the bag and a few babysitting jobs though being a CM but still after that elusive first one.

Having said that others have been much more successful and I'm sure my case is extreme.........

whereabouts are you?

sparkibobs
29-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Got my cert in May 08 and got my first mindee (only 1 day a week) in July 08.
Things then picked up and by Sept 08 I had;
1 - 1 full day
1 - 4 mornings a week
1 - 4 days 10am - 2.30pm
With more enquiries coming in regularly.

Now I have no mindees !!!!!:( and the phone isn't ringing.

Don't think I'm a good example, had quite a hectic and upsetting first year, With everything thrown at me that some childminders never even go through in a lifetime of working.
However saying that I haven't been put off, I've been enjoying time with my own children 17, 15 and 2 + 2 step sons.
Throughout my experiences I have learned to listen to my gut feelings a lot more.

Hope this helps, sorry if I've waffled a bit, just come back from holiday and haven't touched a keyboard for over a week!! lol
xx

It's a small world
29-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Became registered in Jun 09 . Had my friends little boy (2 days a week- going down to 1 day oin October as she can't afford the fees) ready to start as soon as contracts etc came through from NCMA. However I am still waiting for more. Had my local development officer come yesterday and took all my details so hopefully will start getting some enquiries soon ...need the money :panic:

Hi by the way and congratulations on becoming officially registered...:clapping:

Daddy Day Care
29-07-2009, 03:58 PM
I became registered beggining of june this year, no mindess yet, got soemone comming around friday which hoping will lead to something but that wont be starting till september

Gareth
xx

chewy sweets
29-07-2009, 04:41 PM
I was registered last wednesday and started work Monday just gone.
It's only 2 weeks work over summer holls but hopefully going to have a full timer by Sept( Mums coming to see me tomorrow):thumbsup:

jemima
29-07-2009, 05:34 PM
thanks everyone - needed to hear that some of you have work! :clapping:

Minstrel: I am in Lancashire, not far from Ormskirk, there are only 4 childminders in my village and they are all full so hoping I will be too soon!!! x

KatyDix
29-07-2009, 05:36 PM
Hi there
I started the registration process in wales in 2007, then moved to cheltenham, then got pregnant. Finally got registered in February 2008, had baby number 2 in March 2008 and didn't start working properly until July 2009!!
It took ages for me to fill my vacancy. I was messed around by a couple of people - holding a place for them without a retainer (!) - and I turned one family down. I'm glad in the long run though, I now look after a 9 month old, 4 days per week 8.00am - 5.00pm. He is adorable and has fitted in so well with my boys (now 3years ad 1year).
Keep the faith that the right family will come along!
x

Spangles
29-07-2009, 06:18 PM
I got work after a month but that was two years ago, not sure it would be the same case now with the way things are!

I guess I was just lucky but it obviously happens so keep your chin up and get ready because you could get a mindee any time!

Minstrel
29-07-2009, 07:07 PM
thanks everyone - needed to hear that some of you have work! :clapping:

Minstrel: I am in Lancashire, not far from Ormskirk, there are only 4 childminders in my village and they are all full so hoping I will be too soon!!! x

Opposite end of the country (berkshire ) but similar situation, 3 other cm's in the village and don't here them complaining! However I find it difficult when they are looking for experience (even though i have two children of my own!) or they want references from past parents!

Its slowly coming together though and enquiries are started to come through!

Good luck :thumbsup:

Tatjana
29-07-2009, 08:05 PM
I had to wait 2 months for mine, must admit it felt ever so much longer though and I was getting very disheartened!

Good luck!
xx

karenpriest2000
30-07-2009, 05:36 AM
Congratulations on getting your registration.
I was registered from the 20th july and my first child is due to start in the 17th August then another in September.
It shouldn't take you too long to get some mindees.

balloon
30-07-2009, 06:02 AM
I was registered at the beginning of August and had my first mindee by the end of August, second by mid September and was full by October for under 5s.

Another minder where I live took 7 or 8 months to starts working though so there isn't really an 'average' time. Just keep your chin up and get it known that you are a CM (I told everybody I met, lol!)

Good luck :)

Emmylou75
30-07-2009, 12:05 PM
I've been registered since the beginning of July and had my first mindee this Monday for 2 weeks, then I have a 7 month old starting on 10th August for 2 days a week, have his brother after school in Sept on the same days. Then have a 2 year old starting on a wed mid Sept and a 8 month old starting on a Tuesday in January. I've been really lucky and spread the word I was becoming a child minder at the school gates amongst a lovely group of mums who i've become friendly with and they've spread the word for me too :jump for joy: So all my mindees are children of parents at the school & they all live on my development which is great!

Good luck!!
Emma xx

miffy
30-07-2009, 01:20 PM
there are only 4 childminders in my village and they are all full so hoping I will be too soon!!! x

That sounds positive!

Have you checked your details are on the FIS website?

Good luck

Miffy xx

jemima
30-07-2009, 05:09 PM
Glad you got work quickly Emma thats really good.

Miffy I phoned the FIS last Friday when I got my certificate and they said that they won't get the piece of paper from Ofsted with my name on it till next Monday - obviously they can't use email like everyone else!!! So its a bit frustrating because I know thats where parents look for childcare. I went to the local toddler group this morning and handed a postcard to every parent there and asked them to pass them on if they knew anyone looking and I have a family of 2 after schools for September but they won't be the same hours every week as Mum works contracts.

I am just soooo eager to start........:jump for joy:

Gizmo
30-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Hiya
I was registered at the beginning of June and 1st mindee starts on Monday I am also hoping to fill up quick as we live in a smallish village with only 5 cms including me :thumbsup:

Pippa31
04-08-2009, 10:48 AM
I think it depends where you live....(Salford, Manchester I am )

I have been registered for nearly a year but only started advertising in april this year and had nothing. A couple of calls but they were no good to me as schools I don't pick up from.

I am starting to make plans for going back to work if I have nothing concrete by sept as I just cant keep waiting for the phone to ring!!

Blackhorse
04-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I got registered in may and my first mindee is starting at the end of august.
had a few calls about after schoolers that I had to turn down as they were to far away and I dont drive...maybe if that wouldnt have been the case I might have had some earlier...but never mind...

Bushpig
04-08-2009, 12:25 PM
It breaks my heart to hear of so many of you without mindees. You need to move to my area - nappy valley! I get loads of enquiries all the time. Had 2 siblings promised prior to being registered and they then signed up immed when certificate came through. Been full from day 1. I got a vacancy 2 weeks ago due to a mum being made redundant... popped it on my website... and saw 5 people over the next 4 days for the vacancy to see whose days and times and schedule fit best with my current mindees and mine...and had 3 more phone re it. There is a HUGE need for childcare in my area (Wimbledon/Putney/Southfields). I feel so blessed.

Best places to advertise in my experience?
Own website
Netmums
CIS

Please do not give up hope and keep advertising absolutely EVERYWHERE. :thumbsup: I hope you all get flooded with calls!

Ripeberry
04-08-2009, 12:30 PM
I had some initial enquiries at the pre-school where i was helping out as a parent volunteer, but then the parents lost their jobs :(
It took 6 months before i started to get useful enquiries via my website and net-mums, previous enquiries were non-workable as they were for school pick-ups miles away from me.
Hang on in there and if you can, keep an eye out on net-mums. One enquiry came up on there for an area i did not cover but i remembered another CM was regularly posting that she had spaces so i PM'd her to let her know a parent was looking.
Good to help each other out if we can't do it ourselves.

jemima
05-08-2009, 07:23 AM
Thanks Bushpig - I have my own website and am due to go on the CIS website soon but haven't gone on netmums - will do that now xxx :)

gegele
05-08-2009, 08:14 AM
hello,

i've registered in march, had a drop in from may to july and my first "proper mindee is starting in 2weeks before and after school plus holiday and i have a visit planned for a baby 3days a week term times only. it's coming.:D

i had a few inquieries from childcare.co.uk

good luck ladies and if you can't fit a kid don't forget to send the parents to the nearest childminder. that's how it all started for me.

good day

bex8282
05-08-2009, 09:48 AM
I`m thinking that it has alot to do with advertising alot of people are at work in the day and don`t have time to look for Childminders.

I have just recently done a whole week of advertising every where, all places really - even leaflet dropping on my estate and the amont of calls I have had is unbelieveable- the only thing about doing your own advertisement is It can cost!!!

But if the rest of the childminders in your Village are full , then yes you will soon hear! :)

diz01
05-08-2009, 11:27 AM
i registered on 5th may this year, I have my first mindee starting in september but only for 14 hours a week which is nothing really I really need a full timer, starting to consider going to work too if it doesn't pick up soon after all we have bills to pay! Was told that they were crying out for childminders in my area so gave up my job to do it so I could be with my kids more, just found out that if I stayed out work could have got £20000 in redundancy money so gutted. Anyway hopefully I will get another one soon just keep waiting for my phone to ring!

Bitsy Beans
07-08-2009, 09:43 PM
I officially registered in March 09 and it's only now 5 months down the line that I have a single mindee on a Friday. I've had 2 people sign contracts and then muck me about and cancel, I've had one woman very keen but lost out to school wrap around childcare (situated at back of my house), one woman ring me, made appointment to come and see me, cancelled (due to child sickness :rolleyes: ) and never heard back from her (despite her telling me she'd ring me), a couple of general enquiries for kids I couldn't fit into my ratio or for school drop off's that I cannot do to my single mindee one day a week. So as you can see I've had the enquiries but it's been a mare for the most part.
I've felt totally disheartened, frustrated and considered jacking it all in.
I don't earn a fat lot with one mindee but as it happens my daughter is at a real demanding stage so probably couldn't cope with many more mindees TBH. I'd like to work a couple of days a week and leave it at that for the moment. Going to break myself in gently :laughing:

Good luck to you guys without mindees, hope something turns up soon x

bex8282
17-08-2009, 11:11 AM
[QUOTE=Bushpig;490764]It breaks my heart to hear of so many of you without mindees. You need to move to my area - nappy valley! I get loads of enquiries all the time. Had 2 siblings promised prior to being registered and they then signed up immed when certificate came through. Been full from day 1. I got a vacancy 2 weeks ago due to a mum being made redundant... popped it on my website... and saw 5 people over the next 4 days for the vacancy to see whose days and times and schedule fit best with my current mindees and mine...and had 3 more phone re it. There is a HUGE need for childcare in my area (Wimbledon/Putney/Southfields). I feel so blessed.

Best places to advertise in my experience?
Own website
Netmums
CIS

Just been on that Netmums - LOVE IT - THANK YOU :D Great site for anyone who is starting out like me as you do a bit of free advisement on there...
What is the other 1 - CIS ???
FANTASTIC ADVICE THANK YOU :thumbsup:

Minstrel
17-08-2009, 11:48 AM
CIS is the childrens information service ( also known as FIS -family info service in some places). Its the local council website of all registered childcare.