PDA

View Full Version : Accessible toys

clorogue
28-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Is it alright to rotate toys and not have every single toy accessible to thechildren? Thanks

Pipsqueak
28-07-2009, 09:39 PM
I have to rotate toys - I wouldn't be able to get moved otherwise.:D
I am in the process of doing a book thingy with toy pictures and descriptions so that the children can choose something if its not out, so the younger ones can select things they would like etc.

The Juggler
28-07-2009, 09:53 PM
doesn't all have to be out. I have one child who loves the trains. If we have it out when he's here (if not in planning) then we have to choose what else to put away.

PixiePetal
28-07-2009, 10:20 PM
I would not be able to move if it was all out. I try and rotate construction toys/small world for others every couple of weeks or sooner if requested.

When toys come out after a break, they seem to like them all over again.

I too am going to make a book up of all my toys for choosing - when we have moved and I am back at work.

Roseolivia
29-07-2009, 01:19 AM
I don't have everything out at once as the playroom would be more messier than it is:laughing:

loocyloo
29-07-2009, 07:21 AM
i don't have everything out at once! i get a selection out, and if they want something else, we put something away!

if i didn't rotate, i'd have one child constantly being a builder and bashing holes in my house, another building complicated traintracks and complaining if anyone touched ( or should i say looked at! ) them, and another who would cover the house in dolls and accessories!

so sometimes for my sanity, i put them away, and we do other similar activites!

although at the moment, they ( 7, 6, 4, 2 ) are engrossed in the baby (8mth) toys that are out !!!

x

childminder54
29-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I would not be able to move if it was all out. I try and rotate construction toys/small world for others every couple of weeks or sooner if requested.

When toys come out after a break, they seem to like them all over again.

I too am going to make a book up of all my toys for choosing - when we have moved and I am back at work.

what construction toys do you have I need more any ideas

veronicax

The Juggler
29-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I have two boxes of jenga blocks, baby coloured wooden blocks, large lego and my wooden train track (all sorts of shapes and patterns can be built).

also have octagons for older children.

Helen79
29-07-2009, 08:34 AM
I don't have all the toys out either.

I did take pictures of the toys that are on the high shelves & velcro them to the wall so the children can choose what they want to play with but so far they haven't used the pictures. They still just stand pointing & shouting :rolleyes:

Mouse
29-07-2009, 09:03 AM
I'd need somewhere the size of Toys R Us if I wanted all my toys out :laughing:

From my planning I decide which toys I will get out, but there are also lots more that the children have free access to. I have several general toy boxes that contain bits of everything (play food, little people, building bricks etc etc). If the children rummage through & find something they particularly want to play with I will go & get them a full box of it.

I'm afraid I don't agree with the idea of children having access to everything. I won't do a book showing all my toys as, quite frankly, it would take forever to do. I also think children should learn that they can't have whatever they want, whenever they want. If they ask for something in particular I will try to accommodate them, but if it's not possible I explain why and say that we will have that particular toy on another day (I then make myself a note to make sure that we do have that toy out.)

PixiePetal
29-07-2009, 09:53 AM
what construction toys do you have I need more any ideas

veronicax

Duplo, lego, octons,wooden bricks,meccano,stickle bricks,marble run, road and rail wooden sets can't think off hand - they are all packed away for the move!

clorogue
29-07-2009, 09:57 PM
THANK YOU!!!