PDA

View Full Version : Dangerous Dogs

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
28-07-2009, 07:54 PM
Almost a year ago two staffs managed to get into my garden and attack myself and my mum, if it was 5 mins earlier two mindees would have been there but luckily i had just strapped them into their highchairs for dinner.

They did however manage to savage my poor beloved cat which i had for 16 years, Im a great animal lover and this cat was my baby, Anyways the owner got away with it as apparently the dogs get 3 chances

Well today my friend a fellow cm was in the park and a staff attacked her 15 yr old dog and almost killed it, the mindee she was with is understandably traumatised, and from the description of the dog and the owner it sounds as if it was one of the same dogs that attacked me

God it makes me soooo MAD:censored:

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
28-07-2009, 07:56 PM
here is a link to an article that descripes what happened to me

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/search/3580020.Rogue_dogs_attack_pregnant_woman/

haribo
28-07-2009, 08:03 PM
three chances that is unbelievable if they do it once they will do it again:angry: :angry: hope this was reported to the police and if it was the same dog its been noted --- hopefully something can be done im sure they arent allowed off the lead or they have to be muzzled if they have attacked ?? sorry about your cat my mums was killed by a dog too before xmas - not a staffie and ive one thats my baby too and i would be devastated.. i love dogs and want a little one but this kind of thing terrifies me :angry:

sarah707
28-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Oh my word Tania that sounds so traumatic.

I can understand your upset, I bet this has brought it all back.

:group hug:

Tania can I please ask you to let your friend know she must report this to Ofsted. If a child is upset by something she has seen it will be viewed by Ofsted as a significant incident. Thank you xx

mumof1
28-07-2009, 08:04 PM
funny you bringin that up, cos i just got off the fone to my dad and he was tellin me abt my uncle who just got attacked. He was out working his own dog lastnite and 2 pittbulls attacked him and the dog, with the owners of the pittbulls standing watchin:eek: , which sounds abit dodgy.

you really have to be careful these days, goin by wat happened lastnite it sounds like some ppl are training the dogs to be like this.

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:08 PM
sorry to hear about this,

Unfortunatly any dog can be a danger and chasing cats is something thats in most dogs.. my very friendly cavalier will still chase after a cat, and staffs actually make the best family dog (as long as they are trained properly like any other dog)

Your friend needs to report this incident, and i'm shocked that ANY dog who attacks like this can be given another chance nevermind 3 :panic:

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:10 PM
funny you bringin that up, cos i just got off the fone to my dad and he was tellin me abt my uncle who just got attacked. He was out working his own dog lastnite and 2 pittbulls attacked him and the dog, with the owners of the pittbulls standing watchin:eek: , which sounds abit dodgy.

you really have to be careful these days, goin by wat happened lastnite it sounds like some ppl are training the dogs to be like this.

Im sure you have such a fear of dogs now, and im sorry to hear abt the your cat :(

Pitbulls are a banned breed ( i think???)
still bred for the wrong reason :panic: and most owners of these breeds cant control them :mad:

sweets
28-07-2009, 08:13 PM
i know a family with 3 young children who recently bought a staffie puppy!!!!
WHY would anyone risk their children like that? I know any dog can turn, but a staffie and those sort of dogs can do so much more damage as their jaws are so strong!

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:22 PM
i know a family with 3 young children who recently bought a staffie puppy!!!!
WHY would anyone risk their children like that? I know any dog can turn, but a staffie and those sort of dogs can do so much more damage as their jaws are so strong!

because (in the right hands) they are actually the BEST family dog to have

unfortunatly it's mainly chavs that own them and give the breed a bad name and then the media jump on the bash the staff bandwagon :mad:

miffy
28-07-2009, 08:29 PM
here is a link to an article that descripes what happened to me

http://www.borehamwoodtimes.co.uk/search/3580020.Rogue_dogs_attack_pregnant_woman/

Sounded horrific, no wonder this has brought back those awful memories for you.

I don't understand the three chances for a dog - always thought if they bit in an unprovoked attack they could be destroyed. (I [B]am[B] a dog lover btw)

Miffy xx

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:31 PM
some info :thumbsup:

A recent study carried out on 6,000 dogs and their owners found out 33 of the most aggressive dogs, and also those which have good temperaments. The study involved collecting data from two different groups. The first group consisted of 11 different breeds and the second was an online survey mainly involving owners, including 33 breeds. The conclusions from both groups were similar. It looked at the different types of aggression such as towards other dogs, towards strangers and towards owners. Some of the results were surprising, below are the top ten most aggressive breed:

1, Dachshunds
2, Chihuahua
3, Jack Russell
4, Australian Cattle Dog
5, Cocker Spaniel
6, Beagle
7, Border Collie
8, Pit Bull Terrier
9, Great Dane
10,English Springer Spaniel

The Dachshund, otherwise known as the Sausage dog, was originally bred to hunt badgers. They came out as the most aggressive breed with 1 in 5 reported to have bitten or tried to bite a stranger and 1 in 12 snapping at their owners.

Anyway, ANY do that attacks should be dealt with accordingly, and to "give it another chance" is just idiotic IMO

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Sounded horrific, no wonder this has brought back those awful memories for you.

I don't understand the three chances for a dog - always thought if they bit in an unprovoked attack they could be destroyed. (I am a dog lover btw)

Miffy xx

yeah thats what i thought too Miffy, beggers belief doesn't it :panic:

sweets
28-07-2009, 08:35 PM
I think and i may be wrong but its only when they attack a person they are destroyed not when attacking animals such as cats!

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
28-07-2009, 08:36 PM
The police are looking into it but i didnt get very far with them so i doubt my friend will either.

Tania can I please ask you to let your friend know she must report this to Ofsted. If a child is upset by something she has seen it will be viewed by Ofsted as a significant incident. Thank you xx

she has done, i knew this because i reported my case to ofsted as one of my mindees was very upset to see me covered in blood, she still tells me how she loves beauty "my cat" and although i have explained to her that not all dogs are naughty i still feel her grip tighten on me if we ever see one xxx

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:36 PM
yeah Sweets but in the OP, the dogs attacked the lady and her mum

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:37 PM
she has done, i knew this because i reported my case to ofsted as one of my mindees was very upset to see me covered in blood, she still tells me how she loves beauty "my cat" and although i have explained to her that not all dogs are naughty i still feel her grip tighten on me if we ever see one xxx

aww poor thing :(

sweets
28-07-2009, 08:39 PM
yeah Sweets but in the OP, the dogs attacked the lady and her mum

oh yes:blush: i lost the thread a bit there! sorry. just got on my anti-dog bandwagon! lol

PRINCESSDAISYFLOWER
28-07-2009, 08:48 PM
unless they cause major damage the police dont really seem to care. but by then isnt it too late?

The owner is a chavvy:censored: who has bred her dogs to be vicious.

She claimed she got one of the dogs put down but when i asked for proof of this the vets told the police that they couldnt tell them due to data protections, its an absolute joke

zillervalley
28-07-2009, 09:08 PM

A recent study carried out on 6,000 dogs and their owners found out 33 of the most aggressive dogs, and also those which have good temperaments. The study involved collecting data from two different groups. The first group consisted of 11 different breeds and the second was an online survey mainly involving owners, including 33 breeds. The conclusions from both groups were similar. It looked at the different types of aggression such as towards other dogs, towards strangers and towards owners. Some of the results were surprising, below are the top ten most aggressive breed:

1, Dachshunds
2, Chihuahua
3, Jack Russell
4, Australian Cattle Dog
5, Cocker Spaniel

6, Beagle
7, Border Collie
8, Pit Bull Terrier
9, Great Dane

The Dachshund, otherwise known as the Sausage dog, was originally bred to hunt badgers. They came out as the most aggressive breed with 1 in 5 reported to have bitten or tried to bite a stranger and 1 in 12 snapping at their owners.

Anyway, ANY do that attacks should be dealt with accordingly, and to "give it another chance" is just idiotic IMO

Hi hebs,

didnt know about the above, I have a dog which is crossed with a springer and a collie, so the vet thought, any way it is the softest thing out, but as a responsible dog owner I still are precautious around the mindees,

ziller

Hebs
28-07-2009, 09:11 PM
my dog is soft as clarts and my inspector loved him, still wouldn't leave him unattended with kids :thumbsup:

just never know :panic:

ORKSIE
28-07-2009, 09:23 PM
I do not feel comfortable passing staffies or P bull, They worry me, and the people that wlk them dont look any better. And I'm not talking about your average, mature adult.

sweets
28-07-2009, 09:33 PM
I do not feel comfortable passing staffies or P bull, They worry me, and the people that wlk them dont look any better. And I'm not talking about your average, mature adult.

Exactly how i feel! makes my legs feel like jelly! lol

Pipsqueak
28-07-2009, 09:36 PM
I know a couple of lovely Staffies - but they are owned by a very responsible owner.
I also have a Jack Russell - wonderful dog, very child friendly even at the ripe old age of 15 BUT I would never leave my mindees with any dog. My own children can 'read' my dog and they know not to prod, pull, jump on etc as do my mindees but still you never know. Its a risk I wouldn't take - not to mention I am not going to put a child nor my beloved pet(s - got 2 mutts) in that position.

If I see a dog out and about I keep the kids close, instructions not to touch until the owner has been asked etc.

ANY dog can be a danger and so much of it comes down to responsible ownership.

I am so sorry for you and your friend Tania - that is so awful.

ORKSIE
28-07-2009, 09:47 PM
Exactly how i feel! makes my legs feel like jelly! lol

I dont allow my mindees anywhere near dogs on the street, or else where, no matter how cute or "Nice" they look, cos you never know.
Same as all of us!

uf353432
28-07-2009, 10:08 PM
This is just awful, we have just gotten a dog, and during minded hours she is either in her pen, or tethered in the garden away from where children play. I would never leave my dog unattended with the kids.

My friend from work told me the other day that a childminder close to her own childminders, who look(ed) after another colleagues 3 yr old - her dog bit one of her mindees in the face - so much so that the child needed reconstrictive surgery on her face. She didn't report it to Ofsted, informed that parents that there was an incident which was grossly underplayed - that the child prevoked the dog (the dog has since gone on an extended vacation to Cornwall :mad: until it all blows over). To make matters worse the minded child was the childminders grand daughter :panic: Its fair to say the mutual colleague has removed her child from this childminders care and found an alternative. Its very scary to be honest but goes to show its not just the scary looking dogs that you should worry about - its actually scary dog owners we should be terrified of.

RCTLisa
28-07-2009, 10:53 PM
I read the article about the 10 most dangerous dogs and was horrified when Dachshunds came out on top as we have 6 in our family, one of which is mine. One thing that the article doesn't mention is the number of these breeds in the UK and if I remember there are nearly triple the amount of dachshunds to the rest of the dogs on the list so you will get more reports.

My dachshund has "nipped" a child and luckily I was there when the incident happend and it was the child that attacked the dog and the dog was defending himself. I would have been devestated if my dog was distroyed and it wasn't his fault.

I think this all come down to how the pets and children are brought up and at the end of the day the parents are the ones responsible. I know a few people who have staffs and they are wonderful family pets.

Trouble
29-07-2009, 12:20 AM
rightly or wrongly i think its how dogs are brought up and treated to how they react to anything

my dd got bitten by a boxer a f ew years ago nasty dog:angry: , but we have a boxer and he is loving and soft,:D

Roseolivia
29-07-2009, 01:18 AM
I know a couple of lovely Staffies - but they are owned by a very responsible owner.
I also have a Jack Russell - wonderful dog, very child friendly even at the ripe old age of 15 BUT I would never leave my mindees with any dog. My own children can 'read' my dog and they know not to prod, pull, jump on etc as do my mindees but still you never know. Its a risk I wouldn't take - not to mention I am not going to put a child nor my beloved pet(s - got 2 mutts) in that position.
If I see a dog out and about I keep the kids close, instructions not to touch until the owner has been asked etc.

ANY dog can be a danger and so much of it comes down to responsible ownership.

I am so sorry for you and your friend Tania - that is so awful.

It's the same here. I leave my dog with Rose but never the mindees. I always had a dog as a kid and was left with it, we knew not to torture the dog and that's what i teach Rose. I also teach the mindees not to fuss over her as well. We used to have a springer who was fine when i was pregnant and with children but as soon as Rose was born he got jealous. He used to try to climb in her moses basket and the final straw was when he growled at her threw the window when she was crying (she sounded like a hurt rabbit and he used to chase/eat rabbits). We ended up giving him to an elderly couple in our village and he's really happy (if a little fat:laughing: )

polobear1970
29-07-2009, 02:00 PM
It may be worth taking a bottle of water with you when you go out where dogs are around.

Staffs or most dogs for that matter, if they do attack either a person or another dog, the more you try to pull them off or hit them the harder the will bite / hold on, if you squirt them with water, it gives them a shock, just enough for them to stop what they are doing to find out what is happening.

LOOPYLISA
29-07-2009, 02:31 PM
My dad has a staffie, he is a lovely dog and my 3 yr old neice jumps all over him but my dad would never trust him completley if i didnt know him i would cross the road if he was coming towards me !!!, my mum has a Jack russel awful dog shes so naughty, but i know others with that breed and they are fine, i do believe its the way you bring them up though :thumbsup:

nannymcflea
29-07-2009, 06:17 PM

1, Dachshunds
2, Chihuahua
3, Jack Russell
4, Australian Cattle Dog
5, Cocker Spaniel
6, Beagle
7, Border Collie
8, Pit Bull Terrier
9, Great Dane

I have 1 jack russell and 1 fox terrier, they are lovely dogs but I would not trust them with my mindees, they are after all dogs and will behave so, the fox terrier especially as he is a rescue dog and was ill treated before we got him.

I wouldn't reccomend anyone to have a terrier unless you have the time to train them fully.