PDA

View Full Version : im so depressed

mumof1
28-07-2009, 07:54 PM
For such a long time now i have always wanted to be a childminder, working from my own home. But because of money problems i started as a nanny 3 weeks, just until im registered and then i will work from my own home. But anyway i started 3 weeks ago and i hate it, the children are gr8 but i just dont like workin in someone elses home, havin to do there cleanin, ironing etc and even more importantly havin to leave my own dd to go and mind 3 other children, i do take her with me sometimes but even this isnt enough, because i feel so depressed abt it. Have i done the wrong thing? should i have waited until im registered and then started minding? should i go back to my old job and wait? I really should have put more thought in2 it, but my sister is a nanny and she loves it.

Sorry for the long post, but im feeling so down at the min. please help me with some advice

Lady Haha
28-07-2009, 08:02 PM
Not much help, I'm afraid, but if you need the money then you will have to just keep at it til you are registered. You said that you can take your dd with you sometimes, you wouldnt be able to do that if you went back to your old job would you?

It's tough now, but it will be soooooo worth it when you get your first mindees.

Sorry I couldn' t help more.

Hebs
28-07-2009, 08:03 PM
it could just be the frame of mind your in

you need to do what is right for you and your own child xx

sarah707
28-07-2009, 08:06 PM
You must put yourself and your family first.

Not all jobs suit all people... I was hopeless as a secretary and left very quickly before I was sacked :rolleyes:

The right thing to do will be out there for you xx

mumof1
28-07-2009, 08:09 PM
thanks, i think its just this family, the mum is rota mad and wants everything done at a certain time, which is fine because thats wat she is payin me for, but i think its just not for me :(

But i do have some good news, my oh got paid off 8 weeks ago and 2day he got another job :D

Playmate
28-07-2009, 08:17 PM
thanks, i think its just this family, the mum is rota mad and wants everything done at a certain time, which is fine because thats wat she is payin me for, but i think its just not for me :(

But i do have some good news, my oh got paid off 8 weeks ago and 2day he got another job :D

Thats good news will this help your decission?

mumof1
28-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Thats good news will this help your decission?

o yes it really helps, less pressure on me :)

Playmate
28-07-2009, 08:20 PM
o yes it really helps, less pressure on me :)

Excellent, goodluck whatever you decide. Hope you will soon be registered and get some mindees :D

Goatgirl
28-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi,
Glad to hear you've got some good news too: brilliant!
I'd try to hang on in there if you really can't manage without the money and as someone else has said, you can take your daughter sometimes, which is a bonus. Its a means to an end and its not for long hopefully.
If you feel its going to actually make you ill though, maybe you should stop and make do if that's possible. Only you know what's right for your family :)
Good luck.
bws,
wendy :)

miffy
28-07-2009, 08:23 PM

Pleased things are looking up. Hope it's not too long until you're registered, then you can start doing what you want to do :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

sweets
28-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Ive worked as a nanny for a long time, most nannies don't do cleaning or ironing apart from the childrens, and not all do that. If you are doing it for the adults too its a housekeepers job and they should be paying you a decent wage for it all and should have made it clear when you started that thats what they wanted.
Good news about OH job and hope you are registered soon:)

mumof1
28-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Ive worked as a nanny for a long time, most nannies don't do cleaning or ironing apart from the childrens, and not all do that. If you are doing it for the adults too its a housekeepers job and they should be paying you a decent wage for it all and should have made it clear when you started that thats what they wanted.

Well they didnt make it clear from the beginning there would be so much housework involved, and im not gettin paid enough for it. Just hoping i become registered soon. But the main issue is my dd, all the housework i could maybe handle but my dd not being happy i cant handle that

ZoeAlli
28-07-2009, 10:35 PM
Great news about your DH- so pleased for him and you!
Sounds like from reading these posts, they have helped you in your decision!
At the end of the day it is your DD that matters.
Hope you make the right decision for your family.
All the best for your registration, hope it comes through quickly and that you enjoy childminding! :)

Zoe

Twinkles
28-07-2009, 10:48 PM
If you hate it so much ( i have nannied in the past , it has to be the right family ) can you go back to your old job ? Or could you work evenings on a reception somewhere or in a supermarket ( I've done both ) so you can be with your dd during the day ? Even though it's not what you really want to do it would only be short term 'till you are registered.

huggableshelly
29-07-2009, 06:50 AM
personally I wouldnt do something I did not enjoy no matter how stuck I was for cash.

hopefully you will pick up soon xxx

yummymummy
29-07-2009, 07:27 AM
Probably doesn't make you feel any better but I know several nannies all of whom take their children with them to their nannying job at all times. They also only do any care or housework that is for the children so I think that you are having a bad experience as this family are really taking advantage of you. For your own happiness you need to renegotiate on fairer terms re work expected and definitely including your daughter accompanying you every day or would it be possible now your oh is back in work to give notice and wait for your registration to go through?
Easier said than done I know, but be strong and I'm sure you'll be much happier :thumbsup:

mandy moo
29-07-2009, 08:57 AM

I was gonna say that too, sounds more like an Aupair.

When I was nannying (blooming long time ago tho) and was training for my NNEB,
we only ever DID for the children, not the adults in the house.

Have you got a contract with terms etc on it, if not, maybe a good idea if your gonna stay till you get your registration.

And I would also look in the local papers job adverts, The Lady or Job center and see what the going rate is for your area,
Just in case you leave them and try again with another family..
Just a few thoughts..

Good luck to hubbie in his new job and hope yourregistration comes thro soon

LeeAnn
29-07-2009, 11:09 AM
I wouldnt have expected to do lot of cleaning for a nannying job. I owuld def discuss with the family if it is possible to only do the childcare. If she wants her house cleaned then she should really hire a cleaner. I wouldnt want someone who was supposed to be caring for my children having to spend so long cleaning my house

Bazza
29-07-2009, 12:08 PM
What others are saying is correct. Most Nannies will only do childrens house duties (Ironing, washing, cooking etc). It will depend on what your contract says as to the duties you are required to do.

Definately raise your concerns with your employer as you cannot let this go on if you are not happy in the job.

I am wondering if you got this position though an agency or was it arranged privately between you and your employer?

If you did go through an agency the employer would still be likely to get some kind of refund on their fees which will get less and less as time goes on. Some agencies do it slightly different, but my agency does it this way.

I hope it works out for you whatever way you decide to go.:)

mumof1
29-07-2009, 04:14 PM
Well thats another day over and i am feeling abit better 2day, think im goin to go with your advice and my own feelings, and thats to go back to my old job until im registered, i rang my old employer 2day, but he wasnt there, so im goin to ring back in the morning, when i did leave they did tell me if it didnt work out with new job then they will take me back.

I also rang my local EYT who is dealing with my childminding application and they said it could take another 3/4 months as there is a waiting list on the home visits (i've only been waiting from feb!:rolleyes: )

Thanx for all the advice, and i will keep you posted on wat happens :)

mumof1
29-07-2009, 04:17 PM
personally I wouldnt do something I did not enjoy no matter how stuck I was for cash.

hopefully you will pick up soon xxx

unfortunally if me and oh dont work we cant afford are mortgage and then we would lose are house, so we really do need to work nomatter wat it is really

Goatgirl
29-07-2009, 04:23 PM
Glad you're feeling better Kelly :)
That's ridiculously long to wait! I had no idea that was the situation in some areas!
bws, wendy :)