PDA

View Full Version : feeling exhausted .. am I doing too much?

newandlearning
28-07-2009, 04:46 PM
I'm feeling exhausted.. today we went for a walk to a nature reserve by me.. then we went through the local farm.. came across a lot of mud.. got stuck
in mud :blush: .. was helped by a friendly horsey person.. came home washed
shoes, legs, feet, you name it of 5 LOs .. did lunch.. watched a barlie film on telly.. got out paddling pool, played, changed had snack.. emptied pool.. all went home..:huh: am now in a semi-stuperd state..

is this the same kinda day all you other chaps and chapesses are having..

or .. does this sound too much.. this is my first childminding summer and not sure if I should be offered 'crafts' in afternoon .. 'cooking' etc etc.. I am only one person.. :cool:

venus89
28-07-2009, 04:50 PM
I think you should offer crafts etc but not necessarily every day - although it does help calm them down and gives you the chance to sit down with a cuppa!

It sounds to me like a lovely day
And yes, I'm exhausted too!

sarah707
28-07-2009, 04:59 PM
I'm beyond shattered too!

I think your day sounds like fun and very similar to ours except we had a sit down this afternoon with the glue and paper out.

it does make a difference if they are into crafts :D

nannymcflea
28-07-2009, 05:40 PM
Don't wear yourself out at the beginning of the hols!:laughing:

I'd have a few action packed days thrown in with a few garden chill days, perhaps a movie day where you could choose a film, make posters and popcorn.

I must confess to having had 3 lazy days...but I haven't been working so can get away with it.Back to work tomorrow but only got 1 extra apart from my 2 and hubby is having them so I can go to a toddlers in the afternoon and mine are too old and not allowed.:(

Make sure you leave time to eat and drink, take a break with a cuppa etc.
Your parents don't want you ill and not working at all but on the plus side I bet you're sleeping well.:laughing:

sonia ann
28-07-2009, 05:48 PM
join the club I'm shattered too and haven't done as much as you:panic: I have had 5 kids 11mths, 18mths, 3yrs, 5yrs and 8yrs.....in between meals , snacks, sleeps ,nappy changes etc we have painted, had sand and water play, made cakes this am, iced and decorated this pm, watched Monsters Inc. and generally played with every toy they could possibly get out.........yes I am exhausted.....yes I always worry I am not doing enough......but all five children went home happy holding a bag of little cakes for their families, one child in particular (who as some members on here will know came to me recently after a traumatic event) was able to show her mummy a video clip of herself making the cakes:clapping: :clapping: Yes I'm tired but Mums face was a picture ......i love my job!

Pipsqueak
28-07-2009, 05:54 PM
are you doing too much - only you can answer that!!!! :)

you do know that you don't have to fill every day with something, you don't have to be constantly entertaining the kids, chill out days at home/garden, in front of the tv, a sports day (while you referee from a chair:D ) is ok too.

you will find a rhythm.

are you doing to much???? you are a childminder!:D

Helen79
28-07-2009, 06:56 PM
you've made me feel like a really lazy childminder today lol

My mindee this morning slept til lunchtime, then we played with the bricks & toy kitchen.
Did the school run & swapped mindees along the way, went to the park for half an hour, came home cooked dinner while they played in the bedroom (boiled eggs so not alot of cooking involved lol)
They watched INTG & went home.

I think you do as much as you feel you need to, as long as you & your mindees are having fun & you don't tire yourself out too much & manage to have a cuppa at some point in the day.

We don't do crafts everyday but my mindees are only little & don't often enjoy it

Goatgirl
28-07-2009, 07:42 PM
Hi,
I think we all have days where we worry we're not doing enough, and others where we're shattered and know we've overdone it. For me, I have to make a conscious effort to not worry about it. You need to find a balance you're happy with :) If you're as tired as you sound, you need to find ways to be able to rest during the day, if pos. Did you get to sit down with a cuppa during the film?

I'm relaxing more as time goes on and find time out of doors is good as it generally uses up lots of time, lots of the kids' energy and I get to sit down for at least some of it! The day goes quicker if its broken up. I have an idea about what we might do too, but if we don't get round to it, the bonus is, its something to do on another day.

I only have one child at the mo, a 7 year old (and only for a few more days then no income at all until september YIKES!), who is pretty easy going so I'm lucky (if poor!). My dad popped to see us one day and they hit it off so today we've been out on a double decker bus to visit 'my mate grandad', lol, where we played boules in the garden, we also gatecrashed my 17 year old's home ed guitar session, ( veryy social, he made a new friend!) got home with just enough day left to watch some 'baby's first lemon' videos on youtube and for mindee to make himself a false fringe with wool and sellotape.... really.
We're as child led and relaxed as we can be. If I don't look after myself I'd end up stressed and that can't be good for the kids. I used to get really stressed out preparing activities that took longer to organise than they held the childrens' interest - till i remembered i don't actually think its all that good for them to be constantly stimulated; quiet time is valuable; even having a chance to get fed up, so they can come up with ideas for themselves. Which I then enable them to take forward! I think being able to think for yourself is a pretty important skill to nurture tbh.
maybe have a think about the most relaxing things you do, and do more of those, lol

bws, wendy

miss mopple
28-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm all for keeping them busy but after a few days of constant 'what are we doing now's I actually turned round to my lot today and told them I expect them to play on their own sometimes and that I am not a permanent entertainments committee :blush:

After that they made up their own game and I had a cuppa :laughing:

Sometimes its ok to let them get on with things on their own for a while. It does them good (and you!)

Mouse
28-07-2009, 08:41 PM
I think you learn how to pace yourself. Working a 9 or 10 hour day without a proper break is tiring, no matter how much or how little you do.

I do a mix of organised activities and free play. If the mindees are playing happily, I leave them to it. They definitely don't need constant entertainment. I always have standby activities ready in case they seem bored, but they rarely do.

We go out everyday, even if it's only a walk to the post office, and we spend as much time as possible outside. I only mind up to 5 year olds & I do think they're easier to keep happy than older children.

newandlearning
29-07-2009, 01:51 PM
thanks all for your replies.. we'll all had a brill day today.. am currently cooking dinner whilst they are sleeping/watching telly.. all calm at the ranch and went and play at a farm this morn... all parents have given me money for outings are seem happy with me.. :phew: .. all is good!! xx