PDA

View Full Version : Health Visitor

Daddy Day Care
28-07-2009, 02:25 PM
Had to take my son to see the health visitor today, for his 2 year check up. My niece is 10 days younger than my son and my sister was told by the same health visitor we have that they dont do 2 year check ups anymore, so dont know why we had to go, Only thing I can think of is he fell and hit his head around 6 weeks ago it cut and looked deep with lots of blood so we took him a&e to get looked at. Im guessing that must have coem up on the system so she had us in to check oh him.

Anyway he turned 2 julky 13th, only just really started speaking, lots of grunting mainly, and shes dcided to refer him to speach therapist, well those of you who read my post about my daughter will know what i think of them :panic: :panic:

Perosnally I think hes to young to go, but at least I havent taught him his ABC so I wont get put down there :D lol

Gareth
xx

sweets
28-07-2009, 04:23 PM
oh for goodness sake why can't they leave the littlies alone! no offence but he's a boy whom are usually slower to speak than girls and he has an older sister that prob speaks for him, am i right? lol. If he is making sounds and saying the odd word he's FINE. :laughing:

FussyElmo
28-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Or look at it from another angle. Whats your area like for waiting lists for speech. Ours is horrendous so when i took my ds for this 2 year check in feb he wasnt talking too well so we decided to have him referred rather than waiting. As we decided it would be easier to take him off the waiting list other than adding him to it.

If hes anything like my ds he will in 5 months be chatting or if not will be on the waiting list already:)

sarah707
28-07-2009, 05:02 PM
oh for goodness sake why can't they leave the littlies alone! no offence but he's a boy whom are usually slower to speak than girls and he has an older sister that prob speaks for him, am i right? lol. If he is making sounds and saying the odd word he's FINE. :laughing:

I tend to agree with sweets!

2nd children and especially boys do seem to be slower in my experience.

I'd just go with the flow, the appointment might well take ages anyway :rolleyes:

sonia ann
28-07-2009, 05:11 PM
I tend to agree with sweets!

2nd children and especially boys do seem to be slower in my experience.

I'd just go with the flow, the appointment might well take ages anyway :rolleyes:

:clapping: :clapping: my second son was not talking at 2yrs , he just grunted and pointed all the time , his brother 18mths older did all the talking for him........we went to see a speech therapist and when we got there he answered all her questions and named all the objects beautifully:o he just couldn't be bothered at home......so as Sarah says go with the flow it'll probably sort itself out naturally:)

PixiePetal
28-07-2009, 05:12 PM
10 years ago my then 2 and 1/2 yr old son was a terrible talker. I could understand him but was worried at how he would make himself understood at playgroup.

He was fine, a very laid back (I did not say lazy:laughing: ) boy. Still is.

He suddenly started picking up his speech and there was no stopping him a few weeks later

nannymcflea
28-07-2009, 05:32 PM
My youngest wasn't interested in talking either, much easier to get her sister to do it! At 6 she's now impossible to shut up..even said so on her school report!:D

One of my lo's (boy) wasn't talking at his 2 year check either and he never got refered, he's now 3 and although not the most confident of talkers is gaining words and confidence daily. They get there in their own time.

charleyfarley
28-07-2009, 05:33 PM
They still do 2 year checks here and when Mitchell had his he wasn't talking much to be honest he was too interested in playing with the scales and height stick. He didn't answer half the things she wanted him to do but said he was doing the things he should be doing at that age.

She told me that if I was worried about his speech then to go back in 6 months time of course by which time he was happily chatting away. Infact he hasn't been quiet since :D

Carol xx

sweets
28-07-2009, 05:37 PM
just thought DDC do you think your health visitor is on some sort of commision for referals to speech therapy? lol.