PDA

View Full Version : Care or education what is most important?

Harryblackdog
28-07-2009, 09:53 AM
I was interested in getting everyones views as to whether you see the role of a childminder to be to care for or to educate the children you mind?

Is it still ok to be a mother subsitute? what do you consider to be more important childcare qualifications or parenting experince?

I have been researching these issues for my degree and would love to hear your views.

Thanks for you help

Playmate
28-07-2009, 11:07 AM
I think it's both, the same way I feel it is both for a parent. We educate our children informally and through play and I feel that should also be a parent's role, although some peoples parenting skills leave a lot to be desired! Thats why I feel it is important that Childminders should be Registered and trained sufficiently to do the job. Just being a parent does not qualify us to do this role, I'm sure most CM's would agree that there are parents out there that most people wouldn't leave there chldren with. :D

Pipsqueak
28-07-2009, 12:17 PM
Surely care and education go hand in hand? Its every responsible adults role to care for and educate a child whether they are parent, teacher (school) or childcarer (EY).
I think people are so focused on education being the academic side, we forget about the invaluable life skills that grandparents, extended family, neighbours and community do teach our children. So to that effect I do not think you can separate the two of care and education. Children are learning from birth and every person they come into contact - young or old, educated or not, experienced or not they have some type of impact on that child. Even the least 'educated' person can teach someone else something therefore 'qualifications v experience' is not a debateable subject.

I do think qualifications have their place in childcare - absolutely. For me its being a great way forward, especially boosting my own confidence in my abilities, reinforcning what I already know, giving me other things to think about, personal and professional growth and the changes in the service I offer. The qualifications have complimented my experience.

You can have all the 'experience' of caring or children - doesn't mean to say you are any good - same goes for qualifications.

I certainly do not think of myself as a mother substitute and I don't know any childminder who does - I think of myself as a professional childcarer who works alongside the parent(s) and we compliment each other. I care for those children in the same manner I do with my own children - with love, warmth, passion and enthusiasim, I teach them simple life things from good manners right through to space and weather - I learn alongside them. I hurt when they hurt, I cry tears for them - as I do my own children. I bond and become attached to them BUT I am not a mother subsitute -just another adut in their life who cares about them.

jeanybeany
28-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I see my role as both, but I do think Childminders have more opportunity to offer real care of a child by this I mean build up long lasting relationships with the children and families. I do think qualifications are important and is what's needed to get Childminders the recognition they deserve. I can honestly say I worker 10 times harder being a childminder, than I did in any nursery setting.
I am shocked when people refer to me sitting drinking tea all day! Don't get me wrong yes we have time to goto the shops etc but most days I find it hard enough just to goto the toilet :laughing:
I have got qualifications to level 5 and have always worked in childcare and I think this helped me when I decided to become a childminder for the education side of things.
I try to make the EYFS fit into a home based care setting. I have displays up etc but at the same time it is a home, my home and I think I have got the balance right. The children in my care have opportunities to goto the library, goto groups, sort the washing, go out in the car, wash the dishes (playing, I don't make them do that:laughing: ) and lots of other things that if they went to a nursery setting they perhaps would not have the opportunity to experience. It's not the same every day and they have one carer, me!
Yesterday one of my mindees mums rang me and she said my 16 mth mindee could here my voice and was trying to get the phone shouting "hiya". She said "oh they're smiling now and getting all excited". You can't beat comments like that and to me that is what makes all Childminders different.

Sorry a little of the track of the question probably:D

jeanybeany
28-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Surely care and education go hand in hand? Its every responsible adults role to care for and educate a child whether they are parent, teacher (school) or childcarer (EY).
I think people are so focused on education being the academic side, we forget about the invaluable life skills that grandparents, extended family, neighbours and community do teach our children. So to that effect I do not think you can separate the two of care and education. Children are learning from birth and every person they come into contact - young or old, educated or not, experienced or not they have some type of impact on that child. Even the least 'educated' person can teach someone else something therefore 'qualifications v experience' is not a debateable subject.

I do think qualifications have their place in childcare - absolutely. For me its being a great way forward, especially boosting my own confidence in my abilities, reinforcning what I already know, giving me other things to think about, personal and professional growth and the changes in the service I offer. The qualifications have complimented my experience.

You can have all the 'experience' of caring or children - doesn't mean to say you are any good - same goes for qualifications.

I certainly do not think of myself as a mother substitute and I don't know any childminder who does - I think of myself as a professional childcarer who works alongside the parent(s) and we compliment each other. I care for those children in the same manner I do with my own children - with love, warmth, passion and enthusiasim, I teach them simple life things from good manners right through to space and weather - I learn alongside them. I hurt when they hurt, I cry tears for them - as I do my own children. I bond and become attached to them BUT I am not a mother subsitute -just another adut in their life who cares about them.

Thats kind of what I was trying to say!:D

nannymcflea
28-07-2009, 12:30 PM
Before I started childminding I had my own 2 girls. Just because I was "only" a mother didn't mean that I didn't play/educate my girls along with caring for them. Being a childminder has just allowed me to do this with more children.:thumbsup:

Like others have said they naturally go hand in hand.

mabel
28-07-2009, 12:43 PM
I too do not see myself as a substitute mother, I spend a lot of time
planning activities for the children, holidays are really hard with such a
range of ages, caring is educating, we are all learning all the time, life skills
are just as important as subject (english/maths etc) skills.

margimum
28-07-2009, 12:57 PM
I actually do think of myself as a stand in mum!
One who is always(?) enthusiastic, energetic and full of great ideas. One who doesn't have anything else to do all day, but have fun!
Of course the children learn accidently(with hours of planning by me!)
I have been minding for 18 years and the changes have been enormous, but the actual care I provide hasn't changed much.
I have gained many qualifications, but for my own benefit.
I am proud to be 'just' a mum!!

Blackhorse
28-07-2009, 01:07 PM
well I would have thought it depends on the age of the children.
coming from a country where education starts later than here..
I am more focused on the care aspect..of course though education goes hand in hand..but I dont think it needs to be too structured...but that is just how I grew up...

and then if you have after schoolers...welll they already go to school and receive an education..I would have thought they just need a place to go until parents come home..where they feel safe..secure..welcomed...and can have fun and relax...

Harryblackdog
28-07-2009, 07:47 PM

Glad to hear you don't think of yourself as a mother substitute. i was very surprised when a lot of the minders who responded to my questionnaire still thought this was their role