PDA

View Full Version : Becoming a childminder - help

KERRIELOUISE
28-07-2009, 08:32 AM
Hi Everyone

I have recently attending the pre briefing meeting to become a child-minder and I am very excited to get started. However the first date I can get on the first aid course is October so going to have to wait until then.

Anyway - I was wondering if anyone can help me now what sort of things you can claim for and how eg water, gas & electric etc.

I have a little boy who is in childcare and I currently work part time so will be given up my job which pays quite well and just need to work everything out.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Kerrie

Pauline
28-07-2009, 12:55 PM
Hi Kerrie

I've just moved your post into the Starting Childminding section as you will get more replies there (the other section was for problems with the forum) don't worry, it happens a lot as people learn how to use the forum :D

There are lots of different sections on the Forum, for instance, what you can claim for has lots of information in the tax and accounting section. http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=24

You have come to the right place for help, you will get all the help you need for these lovely ladies and gents. :thumbsup:

Minstrel
28-07-2009, 01:05 PM
Hi Kerrilouise and welcome to the forum! :thumbsup:

There's a really useful link here from the HMRC website which will give you a rough idea of the things you can put through your books as expenses.

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/bimmanual/BIM52751.htm

Don't forget that all your set up costs can go through as well as all the things you buy on a day to day basis for minding.

Things such as food, toys, crafts, trips out, petrol, insurances, Ofsted fees etc.

Hope this helps and ask again if you have anymore Q's

Good luck :thumbsup:

Dreean
28-07-2009, 08:07 PM
Does this apply to second hand items? Ie anything bought on e-bay, car boot, etc?

Pauline
28-07-2009, 08:14 PM
Does this apply to second hand items? Ie anything bought on e-bay, car boot, etc?

Yes it does, it is handy to carry a small receipt book with you and if you buy something over £10 just ask the seller to write you a receipt to prove you paid it. You don't have to keep receipts for under £10, but you can if you have one.
:)

Dreean
29-07-2009, 07:17 PM
Great idea!:jump for joy:
Thanks will make sure I get one before I hit the car boots!!