PDA

View Full Version : Work situation really worrying locally

yummymummy
28-07-2009, 07:42 AM
Have been advertising nearly a month and not a dickie bird except one lady who wants one day a week every other week and has rung everyone as does not want to pay anything on the week child won't be coming.
This is nothing new in my experience over the last 3-5 years as we have so many day nurseries, holiday clubs and childrens centres. But what has really shocked me is the amount of childminder advertising on netmums, there use to be a few but now it is inundated, including one from a childminder I used to chat to when we went to the same group who used to crow about how busy she was and that she never has any vacancy filling problems when I was struggling to fill vacancies. She lives in the monied end of the borough and very close walking distance to the train station so I could see why she was always busy, this has really concerned me now.
Do you think that childminding may be dying off in some areas as so much parental choice with types of childcare and prices?

estrelas
28-07-2009, 08:04 AM
I found in my area it was best to offer unsociable hours
Not all parents work till six anymore, so i went for this angle. Obviouslyit depends on your circumstances if you can work till 7 or later.

In my area there are loads of cms, nurserys and after school clubs

I made all my advertisments around this, i was full in a month, and strangely most of my parents hours have changed since they started and my hours are now fairly normal, except I work on Saturday a month

margimum
28-07-2009, 08:08 AM
I don't know if it's because the dreaded O are trying to make us into mini nurseries?. We cannot compete on price, but used to be able to offer a completely different service, more like a home from home.
But with all the paperwork and obs, we are more like a nursery than ever.
I want to go back to being an enthusiastic, energetic (mum) who does not have to do chores, but can have fun all day!!
I'm not saying we don't do this, but parents may look at us as a poor relation to a nursery.

bibby76
28-07-2009, 08:25 AM
Iv had no enquries for a while, so wanted to put a sign down at my local school (where my children attend) I was told by the secretary there was no need for childminders as they have a very good before and after school club that offers excellent care!!!!:eek:
How annoyed was i!!!!!
I explained that parents can make there own child care decisions and the option should be available. They put my sign up for a week then took it down again!!!!!:panic:

Anyway since then i have heard that there are only 3 registered childminders at the school, and 1 off those is calling it quits! She looses her only mindee in sept.
I cant compete with them :mad: but im so angry with the school for not giving parents the option:angry:

sorry for the rant:)

yummymummy
28-07-2009, 08:27 AM
Spoke too soon, one of my mums has just dropped off and made it obvious she can't cope with working and juggling caring for children etc, feel another 4 weeks notice may be in the offing :(

yummymummy
28-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Iv had no enquries for a while, so wanted to put a sign down at my local school (where my children attend) I was told by the secretary there was no need for childminders as they have a very good before and after school club that offers excellent care!!!!:eek:
How annoyed was i!!!!!
I explained that parents can make there own child care decisions and the option should be available. They put my sign up for a week then took it down again!!!!!:panic:

Anyway since then i have heard that there are only 3 registered childminders at the school, and 1 off those is calling it quits! She looses her only mindee in sept.
I cant compete with them :mad: but im so angry with the school for not giving parents the option:angry:

sorry for the rant:)

Completely understand your feelings, whilst giving parents more choice and easier accessability to affordable childcare this Governments policies do seem to be doing many childminders out of work. Maybe that wssn't the intention but in some areas it has definitely been the result!

wendywu
28-07-2009, 09:12 AM
The only advantage i have is that i i am commuting distance from London.

Parents that work up town often need care to 6.30pm and the after school clubs and YMCA only run to 6. pm. :)

helenlc
28-07-2009, 09:53 AM
The only advantage i have is that i i am commuting distance from London.

Parents that work up town often need care to 6.30pm and the after school clubs and YMCA only run to 6. pm. :)

Me too. My full timers mum works in London.

But having said that, the 2 part timers I have just taken on work locally in our town.

I think you need to find some thing that sets you apart from the rest - your unique selling point. I always put on mine that I have a child care qualification - whilst its not a must for childminders I do find parents (especially of young ones) like that I have a qualification.

I also state what train station and bus route I am near in my adverts.

If you can offer unsociable hours, accomodate shift workers etc. It will appeal to those who dont do mon - fri 9-5.

If it helps, I had nothing for months, not even a sniff of an enquiry and have just this week started with 2 new part timers. :thumbsup:

tashaleee
28-07-2009, 10:09 AM
I think in my area it goes in stages - everytime I hit panic mode someone usually comes along.......

BUT, with the government bringing down the age of funded places to some 2 year olds and maternity time increasing, I dont see how we are supposed to compete for much longer. I do so much paperwork its not funny anymore..... I want to spend my time being impulsive with the kids - not thinking oh I need a RA to go there, need to add it into my planning, etc :panic: The government seems to be taking the fun aspect out of a lot of my job and replacing it with spending more time on paperwork.....

Most childminders I know only seem to offer part time care as soon as a child hits 3

I find unique selling points are what gets me the jobs - and my experiences and qualifications. For me my unique selling points are also my hours - I will start before 8am (and so many around me wont) and I offer flexible shift patterns that I am happy to cover (as long as I am paid well for it lol). My house has a dedicated playroom which parents love and my paperwork looks good (and it should the amount of hours it takes) which Im sure does impress some of them :)

kellywestie
28-07-2009, 10:34 AM
I always found that enquiries came in clusters, I always seemed to get lots of calls around August/September. My calls seem to come mainly from CIS, local private school and large local hospital.

I live in a really small town but fortunately for me there is a private prep. school just around the corner from our house and that is where most, 80%, of my work has been from. When we moved here, I rang the Head and went to meet her, gave her leaflets about my service and since then she has given my details if parents asked about local afterschool and holiday childcare. For me it was convenient as my son went to the local school and finished at 3pm whereas the private school finishes as 3.45/4pm. None of the local childminders picked up from there so it's been a great opportunity for me.

I know everyone isn't fortunate enough to have something like this on the doorstep but this was my USP.

Hopefully things will pick up sooner rather than later for everyone who is struggling, but I do agree that this Governments policies on childcare don't help childminders.

kellym3
28-07-2009, 11:22 AM
it just depends where u live or wat school u go to where i live is quite rurel (hamlit) so its hard 4 me to get any thing i have to drive to school to take daughter there is no other childminders but still cant get any children yet if i chose to take my child to a different school 3 miles away i would be full there was no childminders there when i started now there is 2 just regested and are full.that the way it gos i chose best school for my child not my job . hopefully we all get some thing soon fingers x.

jeanybeany
28-07-2009, 12:12 PM
I found it took me about a year to really get my numbers up, but this suited me at the time, as my children were quite young. When I did begin to advertise I had quite a few enquiries and have been full for under 5's for the past year. Yes, I've had panic periods, but it ended up me having to ask for a variation to go over numbers two days a week from Sept! Could have filled the other days as well many times over, but thought that would be pushing it to ask again for another one :laughing: . Over 5's are a different story I have 3 part timers, but to be honest I have only got them due to people I know. I have decided not to hold my breath for before/after school or holiday care children as there are that many after school clubs, childrens centres etc in the area. I still advertise these services though. All I am saying is I don't think I can compete price wise and have decided not to lower my prices to less than £3.00 per hour! They can take it or leave it..........:D