PDA

View Full Version : quickie about term time only

sophiestars
27-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Hi I have a friend who is going back to work in Jan and wants me to look after her lo 2 days a week. She is a lecturer at the local college so will be mainly wanting term time, although haven't sorted out hours properly yet.

I was just wondering - for those who have teachers for example, if they pay half fees as a retainer in the hols does that mean you can't take another child for hols only in their place and you just go with the half fees and make the most of a bit of spare time or less children?
I'm presuming if you charge a retainer at half fees you should still be available if they want you and then they top up the extra half of the fees if they attend. Do any of you keep taking the child for say a morning a week to keep them used to coming if they are small? Just wondering..

Hope that makes sense

sweets
27-07-2009, 09:33 PM
you can take another child in their place during the hols, but during that period they do not pay their half fees as the place is not available. I have a term time only child that comes for a couple of half days during the long hols as 6 weeks is too long for them not to see you!:)

singlewiththree
28-07-2009, 06:16 AM
I charge term time only and then just have holiday children. If you are charging half then the space is available so if you took on a holiday child then I wouldn't charge the parent the half fee as the space has been taken.

charleyfarley
28-07-2009, 06:48 AM
In the past I have charged half fee retainer for the holidays when having teachers children to keep the place.

Carol xx

venus89
28-07-2009, 06:57 AM
I don't charge in the holidays as I don't really want them here! If I charged a retainer I'd have to be available and I don't necessarily want to be at their beck and call during the holidays.

Daftbat
28-07-2009, 07:03 AM
I have a few term time only contracts and i don't charge a retainer for the holidays - they have to take pot luck and book in early if they want cover. I have other children who are holiday time only too so it all works out ok for me.

The Juggler
28-07-2009, 07:06 AM
Also, be careful if your friend is a college teacher. Uni's and colleges tend to have longer holidays than schools do. You might want to based the full-time/retainer period on schools (i.e.. 39 weeks)

nannymcflea
28-07-2009, 12:26 PM
I don't charge retainers for my term time only children. I do say that if they are little it would benefit them to come to me at least once a week but this is up to them too.

Rasharoon
28-07-2009, 01:52 PM
I've got 6 children whose parents are all teachers so only need me term time only. I charge a 50% retainer fee of their weekly fee and am available should they need me - never do by luck.
My understanding is that if I was to fill all my spaces during holiday time, then I would have to repay the retainer fee to the parent of the term time only child which would mean that I wouldn't be able to mind their child if I was full. (somebody may correct me!!)
Good luck.
x

Ripeberry
28-07-2009, 01:59 PM
I've kept things simple for myself and also to keep Hubby happy. I just do term-time and occasional Saturdays and don't charge any retainers as i'm not available in the holidays full stop.
Need the holidays to spend time with my own children and Hubby! :)