PDA

View Full Version : High temperatures

Clever Clogs
27-07-2009, 05:40 PM
HIya

Was just wondering - with all this information going about about swine flu etc - what do you class as a high temp? One of my mindees had a temp of 37.3 then 37.4 which then went back down to 37.2. When do you call the parents? He was just about getting picked up when I checked anyway so waited for them to get here. Otherwise he was perfectly fine apart from drooling (which could be teething). Does it mean temps of 38 and over?
Cheers
Tracey

madison
27-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Id class over 38 to be a temperature as 37ish is normal, My daughters have swine flu and there temps went from normal to 40 very quickly!!, they were fine one minute then they started coughing, complaining of sore throat, high temp, and being sick, ect:panic:

Clever Clogs
27-07-2009, 06:20 PM
Thanks for answering - gosh I hope your daughters are ok - are they on the mend now? Seems to be the main difference with this flu isn't it - that it comes on really quickly. I hope they are ok and get over it quickly.

Thanks
Tracey

madison
27-07-2009, 06:31 PM
One of my daughters has alot of medical problems and she was very poorly and kept going blue and having seizures because of the temp but she has got over it quite well now just very tired, my other daughter is still being sick still and has a temp and sore throat and 2 of my mindees have it now too:panic:

The Juggler
27-07-2009, 06:37 PM
as a general rule of thumb over 37.5 for extended period is a concern if it doesn't respond, 38 is high and over that can be dangerous in small children if not managed, especially where it comes on quickly (which can cause febrile convulsions).

I've just been reminded today that if you take an underarm temp you need to add on 0.5 to get true reading of body temp as the mouth reading would be higher. Though not sure how it compares to ear readings though!