PDA

View Full Version : dressing up box ideas plz

sweets
27-07-2009, 10:44 AM
I want to make up a really good dressing up box. I would like to move away from 'outfits' if you know what i mean. i don't want fireman, doctors, nurses things etc. I wanted something that would trigger a bit of imagination! I thought of maybe bits of material, various hats etc.
Anyone got any more ideas? do these sort of dressing up boxes work or do the children WANT the traditional 'outfits'?

Mouse
27-07-2009, 10:55 AM
I have a real mix in mine. I do have some proper outfits (character costumes, nurse, fireman, builder, fairies etc), but I also have bits of material, net curtains, a sari, handbags, belts, skirts, waistcoats etc.

I look in the charity shops and pick up stuff from there. I have a wonderfully bright floral skirt that the children love (though I'm sure no one could ever really have worn it!) As it's too big, they tie a thin scarf round their waist to hold it up.

Hats are always popular as well as are long sleeved gloves.

Don't necessarily go for child-sized clothes - men's shirts, women's wedding hats etc are always played with.

Twinkles
27-07-2009, 11:10 AM
Try a jumble sale too , you can pick up bits and pieces for about 20/30p each.

The Juggler
27-07-2009, 01:16 PM
I've got a couple of smaller sized thin throws (dens/cloaks/saris) and lots of bags and shoes and hats.

Chell
27-07-2009, 03:02 PM
DD rarely looks at dressing up costumes but pretends her dressing gown is a coat, fills a back pack with toys ands puts that on along with sun glasses and whatever type of hat (baseball cap, sunhat, wonter bobble hat!) she can find.

How about some shoes too? DD loves dressing up shoes but as I child I always wore my Mum's shoes.

sweets
27-07-2009, 04:08 PM
Thanks everybody i will have a trip tthe charity shop. just one thing bothers me is buying hats from there! i am prob being a snob and a bit of a clean freak but would you want your children to wear a hat that you don't know were it cam from? lol. I might be manky! i will have to buy washable things i think. lol

Chatterbox Childcare
27-07-2009, 04:11 PM
I have the norm of multi cultural dresses and outfits but the kids love the scarves, belts etc that I got from Primark with most being £1 each. They are used as sarongs, scarves, belts, batman capes etc...

sweets
27-07-2009, 04:13 PM
scarves from primark! good idea thanks. just thought :idea: some tacky and shiny beads would be good as well:)

Deb
27-07-2009, 04:15 PM
I have a couple of pairs of wings that go down really well too, bags, belts, scarves, net curtains, shoes, hats, strings of beads, eye patches etc

sarah32
27-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Ive got the usual dressing up outfits but hats always go down well.

Also got alot of scarfs, aprons from charity shops. Last year got about 3 pairs of posh ladies gloves, the really long ones which are a favourite in my house.

Also got necklaces, glasses and so on.

I have alot:laughing:

The Juggler
27-07-2009, 05:01 PM
DD rarely looks at dressing up costumes but pretends her dressing gown is a coat, fills a back pack with toys ands puts that on along with sun glasses and whatever type of hat (baseball cap, sunhat, wonter bobble hat!) she can find.

How about some shoes too? DD loves dressing up shoes but as I child I always wore my Mum's shoes.

ooh, yes old sunglasses, phones and old normal glasses with lenses removed are good.

Minstrel
27-07-2009, 05:04 PM
When i was a kid we had those fake cigarettes which glowed at the end when you puffed on it.

Wouldn't be allowed those now!

sweets
27-07-2009, 05:08 PM
When i was a kid we had those fake cigarettes which glowed at the end when you puffed on it.

Wouldn't be allowed those now!

I was suprised when i went into a sweet shop last week and saw those sweet ciggarettes in a box! used to love them!

Mouse
27-07-2009, 05:21 PM
Thanks everybody i will have a trip tthe charity shop. just one thing bothers me is buying hats from there! i am prob being a snob and a bit of a clean freak but would you want your children to wear a hat that you don't know were it cam from? lol. I might be manky! i will have to buy washable things i think. lol

I don't buy second hand hats. The ones I've got are either mine or donated by family. I only buy things I can wash.
Actually, some of the hats I've bought new when they're really cheap in a sale.

Tatjana
27-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Thanks for some fab ideas everyone! :thumbsup:

xx

miffy
27-07-2009, 08:43 PM
scarves from primark! good idea thanks. just thought :idea: some tacky and shiny beads would be good as well:)

Just bought some beads from primark for the dressing up box - 4 strings in bright colours for £1.

Miffy xx

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2009, 08:47 PM
George at asda has (or had on Friday) got a sale of jewellery, we got some girls beads, bracelets and rings for 75p a set and a glittery headband for the same!!!!!!

miffy
27-07-2009, 08:54 PM
George at asda has (or had on Friday) got a sale of jewellery, we got some girls beads, bracelets and rings for 75p a set and a glittery headband for the same!!!!!!

Thank you for that - might have to have a trip to Asda

Miffy xx

Chell
03-08-2009, 07:53 AM
This morning my DD has been dressing up with a pair of swimming goggles and a float strapped to her back, it made me think of your thread. :laughing:

Cammie Doodle
03-08-2009, 05:56 PM
Kids will use just about anything, My Mum made me some dolls blankets and the kids were them as head scarves, they look so funnny with them on :laughing: