PDA

View Full Version : Toilet

Dreean
26-07-2009, 07:00 PM
Hi

Sorry really stupid question coming up!:blush:

How does toileting work? I have an upstairs toilet. Can I use this for mindees that are toilet trained or does it have to be downstairs in the area where I will be minding?

Also what about computers? We have two downstairs which will be in the area I am hoping to use. The units are under the stairs and only the screens and keyboards are on the desk. Will I have to fence this area off or move them?

Many thanks:)
Liz

Curly Quavers
26-07-2009, 07:41 PM
Potty training I am not sure. I have not had to do potty training yet, but have 2 kids to be done in the next year. My only bathroom is upstairs so I am interested to see everybody else's answers on that.

As for computer mine is under my stairs with only the monitor 2 small speakers and my modem on the top. With locking doors and the CCO was fine with that.

All I did was made sure I had a little bit on my general house risk assessment to say I have put locks on the door and it was not longer a risk.

x :)

plum1512
26-07-2009, 08:25 PM
This might sound silly but when are we ment to go to the loo? :panic:

Minstrel
27-07-2009, 01:12 PM
This might sound silly but when are we ment to go to the loo? :panic:

whenever you need to! i'm sure you'll get good at holding on but if kids are safe and angrossed in something and you can still hear them then no problems with going whenever you need to. x

PixiePetal
27-07-2009, 02:00 PM
I only have an upstairs loo. If I had taken potty training kids up there I would have had a lot of puddles, or worse, on the stairs. :laughing: :rolleyes:

I have an open archway between lounge/diner and kitchen. I put potty on an old towel just inside the kitchen. When finished and kids playing again, I take it upstairs to dispose.

I go myself when I need to, you get used to going with the door open! :D

Pipsqueak
27-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Hi

Sorry really stupid question coming up!:blush:

How does toileting work? I have an upstairs toilet. Can I use this for mindees that are toilet trained or does it have to be downstairs in the area where I will be minding?

Also what about computers? We have two downstairs which will be in the area I am hoping to use. The units are under the stairs and only the screens and keyboards are on the desk. Will I have to fence this area off or move them?

Many thanks:)
Liz

Hi, its not a stupid if you need to know the answer!:)

Toileting is fine - whether upstairs or downstairs, if the kids are independent then they go - you just instill into them about flushing, washing hands etc. Potty training is started on the potty downstairs and we 'go with the flow'!

When do you go -when you need too! If you have little ones that can't be left you put them somewhere safe for instance or take them with you. You may find that ALL the kids like to come with you lol. You do develop good bladder control.

Computers - you have them where you want - its your home. you just make them safe, you supervise children on them, have the relevant safety precautions on them (parental controls) etc....

Ruth Saxelbye
27-07-2009, 08:53 PM
I would have a potty close to hand, but a bit out of the way so no one trips over it, and empty it when the children are busy and safe. And I go to the loo when I need to, making sure the children are safe and busy first and leaving all the doors open so I can hear them.
I have a computer in my playroom for the children to use under supervision so its not locked away or anything or in any sort of cupboard. Just make sure there are no trailing wires.

Dreean
27-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Thank you for your replies.

So I can use my upstairs toilet for children who are toilet trained, as I know once they can use the big toilet they do not want to use the potty!

Do Ofsted inspect your toilet/bathroom as well? I guess you have to include it in your risk assesments and all that? ensuring they cannot access anything they shouldn't, etc, I pop to the toilet now with my own little one letting her know where I am going, ensuring she can't get into mischief and leaving the door open ~ hehe so used to that!

Great news on the computers, ours are set up with wires out the way I'll just need a tidy up! and maybe a lock on the cupboard to ensure safety. Again the risk assesment will cover all that.:clapping:

With sleeping and rest times my home is kinda open plan. So I was thinking of either using a pushchair/pram for naps and using the front room for an afternoon sleep and taking any ones who are awake into the back room/garden with a monitor if it's the garden. Is that okay?

Also are sleep mats on the floor okay? with their own bedlinen? Or are travel cots needed? for toddlers I mean(1-3 yr olds). The only other option I have is to use my little ones own room but again I am not sure how that will work plus it is her room the other children will be invading her space as it is.

Sorry questions being sparked off but other ones:laughing: