PDA

View Full Version : quick help: hand foot and mouth virus

mozarella
26-07-2009, 06:49 PM
The mum of the 2 children i look after called to tell me her little boy aged two has been diagnosed with " hand foot and mouth virus " she was told by the hospital it is contagious for only 24 hours. So i said then as long as the little boy is ok and has no temperature I am happy to have him if not contagious.

I have just google it and from the pteint UK webiste they say:

Is hand, foot and mouth disease infectious?
Yes. The incubation period is 3-6 days. This means it takes 3-6 days to develop symptoms after being infected from another person. Sometimes small outbreaks occur in nurseries and schools. It is mainly infectious until the spots and mouth ulcers have gone. However, children can still be mildly infectious for several weeks longer as the virus may be passed out with the faeces (stools) for several weeks after the symptoms have gone. It is impractical to exclude children from school or nursery once the symptoms have gone. However, it is sensible to maintain good hygiene to reduce the chance of passing on the virus. In particular, hand washing after going to the toilet.

But NHS direct says:

If you child has hand, foot and mouth disease, you should keep them out of school, or playschool, while they are feeling unwell. However, there is no need to keep them out of school until the last blister has disappeared, providing that they are otherwise well.

My concern is that I have a 11 months old baby ! I dont wont to be over paranoid but I dont want my baby to be ill. The mum is single mum, struggling with money and childcare etc .. so i dont want to seem terrible but she would have to pay me ( cant afford her not too) if she doesnt bring her boy but I dont want my little one to get it either.

What would you do, tell her it is ok to have him if he is feeling well as per the NHS direct or should I ask her to wait until all blisters and spots have gone?

Thanks for you advice

Moz

Blaze
26-07-2009, 07:08 PM
http://www.hpa.org.uk/webw/HPAweb&Page&HPAwebAutoListName/Page/1203582635941?p=1203582635941

States:

Contact HPU if a large number of children are affected.
Exclusion may be considered in some circumstances.

I would exclude as you have an infant in your care (yours)!:thumbsup:
I would exclude until better/spots etc have gone - not for full time ie weeks on end & would be extra careful with hygiene during that time - think that's a fair compromise :)

mozarella
26-07-2009, 07:31 PM
Thanks Blaze

I have called the mum, since I have them two full days per week ( mondays and tuesdays) I have offered to do Thursday and Friday insted ( since I am free these days) providing the LO is well enough etc ... then the mum said if he is not well then we see next week ...

Blaze
26-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Glad you got it sorted:)