PDA

View Full Version : It's got so bad I've had to...

Minstrel
26-07-2009, 05:17 PM
apply for a job in Sainsburys :(

I've replied to tons of ads, most who don't even have the decency to reply and the rest have gone elsewhere.

Had 3 parents round. All have gone away very happy, two said they'd be in touch and never did, and third says she will use me but baby not born yet so nothing confirmed- not holding my breath on this either as I kow things can change.

Its obviously something to do with me. Not heard any of the other local minders complaining about lack of work so I don't know what else to do.:(

So have applied for a home shopping delivery driver job at a store a half hours drive away :eek: at 5.30 till 10.30pm every night.

Haven't been earning for 7 months now since made redundant and with a wedding to pay for in 5 months , the drought can't go on!

Gizmo
26-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Please dont think it has anything to do with you, you are just unlucky and something will show up soon.
I must admit though now I have finished work and mindee is supposed to be starting next week (have heard through the grapevine that mum hasnt given notice to current cm) I am about to sign up with a temp agency if I dont hear from her.
It is really nerve racking and I keep thinking lack of calls is because I am new and parents want someone with more experience

Keep the chin up :thumbsup:

miffy
26-07-2009, 05:27 PM
I'm sure it's nothing to do with you.

It can take time to get started and it's always seems much easier to get more work once you've started minding.

Don't give up - keep advertising

Good luck with the Sainsbury's job

Miffy xx

peanuts
26-07-2009, 05:28 PM
i went 9 months without any childminding a few years ago, that is when i got a part time job at a playgroup. i work mon/wed/fri at p'group till noon.

will keep my fingers crossed for you i know what it feels like to be without income for a time.

Blaze
26-07-2009, 05:30 PM
If I hadn't have been lucky with my first mindee it would have been over 9 months till my next - so please don't think it's you!

LOOPYLISA
26-07-2009, 05:32 PM
Hope things pick up soon x :thumbsup:

Minstrel
26-07-2009, 05:43 PM
Thanks for the support. :thumbsup:

It's hard because I'm being really accomodating to all - i tend to reply to random shift workers thinking not many other minders are going to want to do that but it's looking like they do cos parents always find someone else. Will have to think of a new USP!

I've lost that newly registered drive very quickly! Also not having any mindees is difficult to explain to parents, what do you all say?

sarah707
26-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Good luck with the interview!

Don't be a stranger xx

miffy
26-07-2009, 05:47 PM
Also not having any mindees is difficult to explain to parents, what do you all say?

Emphasise the positive - one-to-one care, how enthusiastic you are to start minding, show some plans of activities/outings you might do, your flexibility etc etc.

Keep trying - I'm sure it will happen for you

Miffy xx

Minstrel
26-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Emphasise the positive - one-to-one care, how enthusiastic you are to start minding, show some plans of activities/outings you might do, your flexibility etc etc.

Keep trying - I'm sure it will happen for you

Miffy xx

Thank you - I will try this :)

flora
26-07-2009, 06:17 PM
i hope the drought is soon over for you and you are flooded with work.

keeping everything crossed for you minstrel. x x x

Blaze
26-07-2009, 06:20 PM
I make a point of mentioning that I am selective on who I take on, as I like to be sure that I can build a strong relationship & work in partnership with the families whose children I care for...even if these means that I do myself out of mindees on occassion!:thumbsup: ;) :)

The Juggler
26-07-2009, 07:09 PM
sorry to hear about your lack of mindees. Good for you for looking elsewhere though. One summer I suddenly lost two full-timers (95% of my income) and I was prepared to go and work in MacDonalds if I had to (they pay a higher hourly rate than I charge!).

I figured I could work nights and still care for my children. You do what you need when times are like this.

Good luck with interview and hopefully some mindees will be along soon.

LOL

Minstrel
26-07-2009, 07:21 PM
I never really thought of putting it from the angle that its ME being fussy and thats why I hadn't taken any on yet. hmm.....

Sorry to hear about everyone else losing mindees too... Luckily my OH has a fairly secure job (police force) and if it weren't for the wedding I wouldn't be worried at all. But all the bills are starting to come in and I've no way of paying them.

Not keen but I need this job so thanks for all the good wishes.

I may not be around on here for a while but good luck to you all who are struggling and who knows.........

.........maybe one day i'll be back!

Bye :waving:

Alibali
26-07-2009, 07:37 PM
Oh hun, don't feel it's personal. It's just the current financial situation. Keep your chin up and I hope interview goes well.

Tatjana
26-07-2009, 07:47 PM
Hey hon, don't go, i'll miss you! :)

I know how you feel, it's easy to start finding fault in yourself when things don't go well, I know i did, I convinced myself my fees were too high. BUT the ladies on here put me right and I didn't put them down and got my first mindee, only part time, but hey ho it's better than nothing.

You will get a mindee, but in the meantime good luck for the Sainsburys job:thumbsup:

xx

helenlc
26-07-2009, 08:22 PM
Keep on looking and replying to ads, make sure everyone still knows you are available.

I had no enquiries for months and then one full time one came along. It was enough to keep me going and made me feel a bit more positive.

Good luck with the interview.:thumbsup:

ORKSIE
26-07-2009, 08:26 PM
Can't add any more just hope the phone rings very soon:)

Demonjill
26-07-2009, 10:05 PM
Its not personal - cos you are fab and dont let anyone tell you different.

Some great advice as always

Good luck and keep positive:)

Cazz
26-07-2009, 10:19 PM
Sending positive vibes that your phone will ring soon.

Hope you get on okay with the Sainsbury's job and that it's only very temporary.

Make sure you come on and chat whenever you get a little spare time!

Carole x

Minstrel
27-07-2009, 12:28 PM
Okay something weird happened overnight.................

My OH came in late and I told him I'd applied for the Sainsburys job and he told me not to be so daft... something will turn up.

Had a bit of a lie in, OH got up with the kids.. (:eek: never happens!) and came down at 9.10am.... walked into the kitchen to put kettle on and phone rang!

It was one of my ladies who never got back to me. She wants ad-hoc care , quite a few days throughout the hols for two little girls!! Turns out she's been on hol for the last two weeks and now wants me to start Friday.

I'm stunned how different things can be in 12 hrs! Its not a lot but its a start!

Thank you all soooooo much! :D

PixiePetal
27-07-2009, 02:07 PM
:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

So Sainsburys can wait?!

Minstrel
27-07-2009, 02:45 PM
Well Its a Plan B for now! :D

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2009, 08:29 PM
Great news, well done!!!!!!!!!:clapping: