PDA

View Full Version : parent visits during minding hours.

chewy sweets
26-07-2009, 05:02 PM
Is it ok to have a parent visit your home during minding hours with mindees there?
Just wondered. Got my first mindee starting tomorrow and another mum wants to arrange a visit in the day next week while i'm minding!
Would i just get her to sign the visitors book????
Thanks! :thumbsup:

sweets
26-07-2009, 05:04 PM
its absolutely fine to have parents visit during the week. they can see you with the children then. If you have a visitors book you could ask them to sign.

helenlc
26-07-2009, 05:07 PM
I have a 3 yr old mindee that is very attention seeking if I have visitors, so I make plans for people to visit when he is at pre-school in the afternoon and after 4 when he has gone home. I have had one parent come when he was here and he was a nightmare:angry:

However, I had 4 yr old twins with me this week and had a visit. They were brilliant and the meeting went well.

I think it breaks the ice to have children there though. I know some minders ask the parents to come back when they have no children for the signing contracts bit. I dont personally.

It depends on what you're comfortable with. And yes, sign your book if you have one.

Good luck with the parent coming.

miffy
26-07-2009, 05:08 PM
It's good for prospective parents to see you working with the children and much better I think than an evening visit for helping them get the "feel" of your setting.

Make sure that you don't leave them alone with the mindees at any point, getting them to sign the visitors book is a good idea.

Good luck - hope it goes well

Miffy xx

Deb
26-07-2009, 05:53 PM
I dont sign contracts at the first meeting anyway; so use that meeting to introduce my business and let them see me and my children in setting. They come back to discuss the business side of things when Im not busy with children - I explain that I cant concentrate on the children and them - I have 3 under 5 all the time and it can get a bit hectic here.

loocyloo
26-07-2009, 06:48 PM
i try to get all prospective parents visit when i am working, that way, they can see me with the children/see how happy the children are ;) (one current mum, came to see me before she had babe, all the children in my house were lovely, then as i was pre-occupied during tea, proceeded to have a food fight! i was horrified :panic: but she said later, that it was because i was so calm, she knew i was the right one for her !!! :D that and my DD (14mth at the time) charmed her to pieces!)

then, if they wish to sign contracts, we do it in the evening and i aim to go to their house, saying that then both parents can sign, without needing to get babysitters, no interuptions and as it doesn't take long, i'm in and out, normally within 1/2hour. (lesson learnt after one mum came for an interview int he evening - stayed 2 1/2 hrs, then stayed a further 2 hrs to sign contracts!)

i also like a brief insight into how each family lives.

xxx

mushpea
26-07-2009, 07:59 PM
mindees being here fine my kids ,, well maybe not:eek: :eek:

my daugher is a big attention seeker when new people come yet when other children are here she is lovley and helpful and kind, my son can be lovley then another time will sit there with all the toys around him and go 'this is so boring' :angry:
mind you only one set of parents ever walked away and didnt come back so cant be that bad i suppose.
yes parents can come when others are here because they get to see your working day, meet the other children and see how your realtionship is with the others.
good luck

Alibali
26-07-2009, 08:03 PM
I'll go against the flow here:) I don't do first visits when I'm working as you just never know who is going to walk through your door and I feel quite vulnerable. I ask them to come when dh is home just in case, but that's me I'm a worrier. It is good for them to see you working though so I do my second visit when I'm working. I then go to their homes to sign contracts so I get an idea of how lo is at home too.

zillervalley
26-07-2009, 08:08 PM
I'll go against the flow here:) I don't do first visits when I'm working as you just never know who is going to walk through your door and I feel quite vulnerable. I ask them to come when dh is home just in case, but that's me I'm a worrier. It is good for them to see you working though so I do my second visit when I'm working. I then go to their homes to sign contracts so I get an idea of how lo is at home too.

I am a bit like that too, especially the time a few years ago when i had children through social services

I worry

ziller

jaja
26-07-2009, 08:51 PM
I think that children should be there just not mine,,, my two get very excited and tend to take over and then i spend most of my time trying to sort them out and not the parent....

Good luck xxxx

manjay
26-07-2009, 08:54 PM
I always do visits when I am working. However I do choose very carefully which mindees are here iyswim:rolleyes:

chewy sweets
26-07-2009, 09:21 PM
I always do visits when I am working. However I do choose very carefully which mindees are here iyswim:rolleyes:

Sorry what does iyswim mean????:blush:

Daddy Day Care
26-07-2009, 10:01 PM
if you see what i mean

chewy sweets
27-07-2009, 06:37 AM
if you see what i mean

:thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Chimps Childminding
27-07-2009, 08:57 PM

Ditto!!!!!:D

angiemog
27-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Hi,
For a 1st visit I arrange a time when I don't have any mindees. I feel that way I can focus on them and lo, answer qu without being distracted. I then invite them back for a play visit another time. x