PDA

View Full Version : what do I charge

jus
20-02-2008, 06:41 PM
:o Hi, I charge £21.00 a day full or part time hours, had a phone call from a parent for 2 full day's a week starting June 08 under 0ne year old, visit this saturday what should I charge, do I charge her a settling fee as on the NCMA contracts it say's no charge, but could I charge her my normal £3.00 per hour for hours used for the week settling the child in so if she came monday for 1hour, tue 2hrs same wed, thurs, frid so it would cost her £27for the week, or should I just take deposit, are retainer fee to keep place open. will I deduct this off childminding fees when child starts, are will this be refunded to parent. Help:eek:

avril
20-02-2008, 08:47 PM
Deposits are usually refundable but retainers are not.

I don't charge for settling in hrs but don't have a daily rate everyone is charged per hr as some peoples days are longer than others.

Have a chat with the parents and see what hrs are wanted and what works best for you.
Retainer charged for keeping the place open is usually non refundable.

Avril

berkschick
20-02-2008, 08:50 PM
I charge per child, per hour.

I offer a free 2 hour settling in period after that I charge my full hourly rate.

I have a parent coming on Monday for a September place.

If she decided to go with me then I will charge her a weeks non refundable depoist. The deposit will become the first weeks fees when she takes the place up. If she doesnt take the place up then she will loose her money.

Tatia
21-02-2008, 07:44 AM
I charge 3.50 an hour from the beginning, no settling in fee and no day rate. I don't do retainers (though I'm rethinking this) and have not been in a situation to need a deposit. If I did ever need to take a deposit, it'd be non-refundable and would, as mentioned above, become first week's payment. They would not get the money back if they changed their mind. I just charge my regular fee (in advance) for settling in period and after that, the weight of the contract kicks in. I've never had to end it after the settling in period before.

A retainer would be used for say...holidays or nursery sessions, times the child would normally be with you but isn't. I tihnk most people charge half fee for that, don't they? They do around here anyway.

sarah707
21-02-2008, 07:56 AM
Like Tatia, I have always just had an hourly rate... although one set of parents have asked me recently for a day rate as they find it easier because they pre-pay by vouchers - but they have given me slightly more than my day rate, just in case they go over the hours due to traffic or being late out of work.

Don't offer anything that will mean you lose out! :D

miffy
21-02-2008, 08:46 AM
I used to charge by the hour but now charge either a day or half day rate and a session fee for before and after schoolers

It doesn't cause me any problems and means the hours I work are always paid for

Miffy xx

susi513
21-02-2008, 07:47 PM
Deposit
I charge one months deposit, which I keep until the end of the childminding agreement (to cover me for the notice period).

Settling In
I offer the first session up to 2 hours free, anything else is chargeable at normal rates. During the settling in period I only charge for the hours booked even if its much less than the hours that will be on the full contract. After the end of the settling in period they pay for all the contracted hours regardless of whether the child attends, arrives late or is collected early. (unless I am on holiday or sick etc !)

Retainer
Rather than pay a retainer (1/2 fees) I would encourage the parent to consider extending the settling in to start well before they need to. Eg, if they're at the end of their maternity leave, it can be helpful to have your baby settled before your first day of work. Also gives parent time to prepare for return to work if needed (shopping for work clothes, hair appointment, popping in to work/training etc).

ChocolateChip
21-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Don't know if it's just me, but isn't it a bit pointless 'settling' the child in now if they're not starting until June?
Anyway, I don't charge for settling in, usually a 2hr period.

I take a weeks deposit, which comes off the bill when they leave, but isn't refunded if they don't take the place up.

As I am new I haven't charged a retainer yet but I was charged one when I used to use a c/m myself, she charged £5 a week to keep the place but I see a lot of people charging half fees, which I suppose is only fair as you can't take anyone else on in the meantime.

I think what susi says about settling the child before mum actually starts back makes a lot of sense all round.

Nikki :)

jus
23-02-2008, 06:38 PM
:) Thanks to every one for the replies , but woz a waste of time and I'm a bit P..OFF:mad:I waited in all day for the parents who arranged a visit this morning for the placement for there child in June, a bit P....Off and :mad: and:angry: As I could have take my boy's out for the day, no phone call nothing to say they were coming. Flaming time wasters. jus

miffy
23-02-2008, 06:45 PM
How annoying but unfortunately it's not uncommon

As you say you could have done something else

Do you have their number if so I'd give them a call - there might be a good reason why they didn't show

Miffy xx

Tily Bud
23-02-2008, 08:23 PM
Did you ring them, I would of ! I had this last year and rung the lady who told me she had decided not to bother I promptly let her know how i felt and made her feel very guilty x

miffy
23-02-2008, 08:26 PM
Did you ring them, I would of ! I had this last year and rung the lady who told me she had decided not to bother I promptly let her know how i felt and made her feel very guilty x

Ha ha good for you Cheryl that is sooooo rude!

Miffy xx