PDA

View Full Version : Totally dissalusioned , advice please

Rach30
20-02-2008, 05:13 PM
Sorry for any spelling mistake in advance ! Ok i need advice / support. Let me set the scene.............. I started minding july 2007 after a friend and then collegue asked me if wanted to mind her son when she went back to work (he was 6mnths old) so i registered and everything . Have been looking after him 4 days a week during termtime . I was happy just to mind him and saw this is the main 'wage' one , IYSWIM . over time i was asked by a few onther people if i could mind there kids . I sawthese as a bonus so was happy to do odd contracts eg I have 2 children i mind 3 afternoons school holidays only and another 2 that are as and when , normally 3 days a month. This was working well . Have been told this afternoon by the Main ones parents that come july he will be cared for by his grandparents . Nothing to do with my care , just works better for them and i can appreciate that ( i think !:( ) So now , after july i'm left with the odd contracts . Not enough on there own . But really not sure if i can face looking for more mindees . Its been easy so far cos my main one was a family friend and its been so easy . Must admit that lately i've felt really dissalusioned with minding - all the crazy paper work ect . ALso as a single parent i do find it quite lonely cos come the evenigs i've no adult to talk to . Both my children are at school full time so i do need to work and i love the fact i can take them to school and collect them . Dunno . Really dont know what to do . Just needed to of load , so thanks for reading . :( Rach x

fionamal
20-02-2008, 05:31 PM
I was a bit like that in January as well as my 2 main earning kids left in December. But all I can say is stick with it. I have and had a few interested parents lately and it lets me be with my kids as well.

Just do some advertising for fulltime placements and take it from there. Might be worth your while even mentioning to the other parents that you have fulltime vacancie and see if they are intersted.

donnagwynne
20-02-2008, 05:33 PM
Hi Rach,
Really don't know how to advise you. The same bombshell was dropped on me about 10 minutes ago. Family friend, main contract and source of income, moving away so I finish at Easter,' and I don't have much other work. I dread having to get used to another parent and different children, even if I am lucky enough to get any.

I am just as fed up as you, so hope the other ladies can cheer us up, PLEASE!!

Donna

Twinkles
20-02-2008, 05:46 PM
It is such a shock when this happens. Rach all I can say is think long and hard before you give up. What other job would fit in so well with your own children?? Especially as a single parent you need the flexibility of self employment and being at home all day.
Make the most of the time you have left with lo to get out there and advertise. There is lots of good advise and ideas about advertising on this forum. I know it would be a hassle to adjust to a new child and parents but it may be even more difficult to find and adjust to another suitable job.
And when you get a new lo make friends with other minders it's surprising how quickly your social life will improve.
Chin up hun, hope it all works out for you.xx

manjay
20-02-2008, 05:50 PM
I really feel for you both! What a nightmare. Unfortunately this is one of the downfalls of being self employed, you can never guarantee your income. I have tried to plan for this by not having all my eggs in one basket so to speak. So if one of my mindees left it wouldn't be the end of the world.

I hope things work out for you and you are able to continue minding

amanda xx

Spangles
20-02-2008, 06:00 PM
I completely agree with Twinkles. Keep going and start to advertise, there's no reason for you to stop doing childminding although I can totally see why you're feeling down about it right now.

I feel sure it will all work out well in the end.

xx

mrsbumbles
20-02-2008, 06:36 PM
Rach, have you considered working families tax credits, i was in the same boat as you and they topped up my wages?

sarah707
20-02-2008, 06:37 PM
You need to weigh it up - the pros like being there for your own chidlren, being totally in charge of your life etc vs the cons of being lonely and needing adult company and worrying about all the changes that are coming in...

We can support you with the changes... you could try and visit drop-ins etc for the company... advertise like mad and the space will fill, I am sure...

But only you know how much you really want to do this job - so only you can really decide hun... sorry :(

miffy
20-02-2008, 06:46 PM
What a blow for both of you but think before you make a final decision

Why not try advertising first and see what happens - if you decide to go back to work then you may need childcare for your own children

I hope it works out for you

Miffy xx

Rach30
20-02-2008, 07:01 PM
Thanks all . Its great to know that you are all so supportive. Feeling a bit more pos now i've got over the initial shock . Mrs BUmbles , good point about WFTC i do aready get it so actually money wise its gonna be ok . Only feeling lonely cos its one of those weeks ! Generally i do enjoy minding, it really does suit my situation. Really nothing changes till july so not gonna worry too much cos things generally turn out ok . I'v coped with worse LOL.:laughing: Thanks all again for listenng. ANd to the other lady in a similar situation as me (cant remember your name sorry !) hope it turns out ok for you too.:D :thumbsup:

Rach30
20-02-2008, 07:02 PM
PLUS......at least i'll have time for paper work and ironing LOL:D

Twinkles
20-02-2008, 07:28 PM
PLUS......at least i'll have time for paper work and ironing LOL:D

I'm trying very hard to see that as a good thing:D

angeldelight
20-02-2008, 07:29 PM
Good advice from everyone

Just wanted to say hope you both get some calls soon and some more children

Love Angel xx

nell57
20-02-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi
cant offer any advice extra than whats already been said, but want to wish you loads of luck and hope every thing works out.

Helen:)

JO S
20-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Just wanted to wish you good luck, I hope you manage to come to decision which is right for you.

JO. x

charleyfarley
20-02-2008, 11:02 PM
I'm sure the calls will come, hopefully very very soon

Good luck

Carol xx

Tatia
23-02-2008, 10:27 AM
I tihnk Sarah mentioned it above but if you are lonely, can you visit childminding drop-ins or join a network? I can relate. I left a very busy career and life in The States to move here, plus I was pregnant and very ill so I felt isolated. Childminding was the key for me, helping me make so many good friends and get myself motivated again.

I'm sorry you are feeling down and I hope things pick up for you. There's lots of time to advertise between now and July. Good luck!