PDA

View Full Version : DHC to be scrapped!!

venus89
25-07-2009, 04:23 PM
I've just found out from my course tutor that there are plans to scrap the DHC and replace it with a diploma which will cover many different occupations....

Polly2
25-07-2009, 04:29 PM
Does that mean my DHC won't be worth anything then?? I hope not :panic:

nannymcflea
25-07-2009, 04:30 PM
I suppose the only issue with it being a home based qualification is that you may not be recognised else where. I don't know if this is the case?

venus89
25-07-2009, 04:35 PM
Your DHC is still a level 3 qualification. It's like O levels and GCSEs - the DHC will just be an older version of its predecessor.....

And yes, the DHC is just relevent to teh home setting - I guess if this new diploma is transferable to other settings out of the home it could be a good thing for us if we want to change direction.

Polly2
25-07-2009, 04:40 PM
I can see the reasoning the DHC is very narrow. But glad to know that I still have a level 3!

venus89
25-07-2009, 04:43 PM
I wonder if the content will be much the same?

The Juggler
26-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Your DHC is still a level 3 qualification. It's like O levels and GCSEs - the DHC will just be an older version of its predecessor.....

And yes, the DHC is just relevent to teh home setting - I guess if this new diploma is transferable to other settings out of the home it could be a good thing for us if we want to change direction.

also what applies for childcare and learning in a home-based environment is the same as how you would care for children in a nursery/school. The theories and principles and standards are exactly the same. In fact you're more experienced as you've no manager to ask questions of and the responsibility is all yours.

Rasharoon
26-07-2009, 07:40 PM
Having spoken to a Manager at the local pre-school, I told her that I was doing the DHC and should I decide to move into a preschool, playgroup, TA would my DHC be relevant as it is a Level 3.

She told me no in that it is literally just based around the home and working within a setting in much different.

I had started the DHC but have taken the decision to stop it and do an NVQ L3 in CCLD and am volunteering one afternoon a week at the local pre-school to get 'setting' experience as in all honesty, do not wish to be a childminder forever.

I suppose everywhere will say different things.

jaja
26-07-2009, 08:53 PM
oh great, i have only just finshed it, have i wasted the last two years??????