PDA

View Full Version : Do I need to warn parents?

Willowdancer
24-07-2009, 08:31 PM
I have to go and pick up Tamiflu for my dad tomorrow morning. We last saw him on Tuesday evening, and he's been in bed with flu symptoms since mid-morning on Wednesday.

He didn't mention feeling ill at all on Tuesday and we are all ok here at the moment but I know about 2/3 of my mindees are off on holiday next week so I'm wondering whether I should give parents a heads up about the situation??

helenlc
24-07-2009, 08:42 PM
Its hard isnt it? I have a similar dilema in that my niece is due to come monday and her mum has been diagnosed and given Tamiflu.

However, I have looked at all the information and it would seem that for childminders it is suggested that only if you or your own children are ill then you need to worry/inform parents etc.

On another forum one lady said that her husband had swine flu and she wondered whether to keep her child off school. She rang the school who advised her that her daughter was fine to go to school unless she was displaying symptoms herself.

I would therefore say that you are fine to continue working and its personal choice about whether you inform parents. But its not considered that you are at risk of passing it on unless you have symptoms yourself.

sarah707
24-07-2009, 08:42 PM
It's a tricky one. i would say if it's on your mind then ring them, otherwise the way it's spreading at the moment they could get it from anywhere!!

I hope your dad is ok xx

miffy
24-07-2009, 09:38 PM
I agree with the others, it seems you're OK to carry on working unless you or your immediate household are showing symptoms.

If it's spreading as quickly as the figures indicate you can catch it anywhere!

Hope your dad makes a quick recovery

Miffy xx

Willowdancer
28-07-2009, 06:50 AM
Thanks all - I decided to tell parents about my dad in the end so they all went off on hols stocked up with enough supplies to open their own chemist shops!

We are still all ok so it looks like the dreaded flu has given us a miss for the time being as I'm sure it would have hit us by now - its a week since we last saw dad now.

He is on the mend, but quite slowly I think but at least he's going in the right direction :)

Ali
xxx

ETA: if you have the need to go and get Tamiflu, DH says the chemist he went to said the government website showing locations isn't up to date. He went to what was listed as our nearest location (a 40 mile round trip) only to be told by the chemist that he could have got it here in town. :rolleyes:

miffy
28-07-2009, 06:54 AM
Glad your dad's on the mend and you're all fit and well.

Think I read somewhere the incubation period can be 7 days but usually symptoms show in 2 - 5 days so looks like you've missed it this time.

Miffy xx