PDA

View Full Version : observation photos

tashaleee
24-07-2009, 07:29 PM
I was wondering can we put a photo as an observation rather than a 'worded' observation.

I know that I make extra work for myself as I 'write up' all of my observations (cant help myself :blush: ) - but suddenly had an idea that I can put in a photo with a couple of words ie 'k riding a trike' and then link it to the correct areas.

Would this work? Or am I going off track?

sweets
24-07-2009, 07:32 PM
i do mostly photo obs, its fine to do them. I take a photo then use the NCMA stickers for eyfs and just write a sentence to link it to each area it covers.
MUch easier

Mollymop
24-07-2009, 07:39 PM
Sounds good to me. There is no right or wrong way, so I have been told.

cabby
24-07-2009, 08:15 PM
this is exactly what i do:clapping: :clapping: :clapping:, i feel better knowing someone else does it like this too

sarah707
24-07-2009, 08:33 PM
K riding a bike... what does that tell you?

Why take the photo?

Does K not usually ride a bike and he's suddenly started?

Does he usually push with his feet and he's started pedalling?

Is he telling you he is going fast or slow?

Did he stop for some pretend stop / go boards?

Every photo should say something or it's just a photo, one of hundreds you could take every day... :D

The Juggler
27-07-2009, 07:57 AM
I do a mix of both. Weekly written obs then monthly selection of photos.

As Sarah said, just say what photos mean as well as what they are. I only use a short comment like,

I told Nikki I drew a .........., or I drew x which means that I know............. .

I used my arms out on the balance beams which means I know they help me balance.

I ask for the hose to water the vegetables as I'm starting to learn how to take care of things.............

so, for your example of the bike you might say for example,

"I have mastered riding this bike. This means that my physical and co-ordination skills are developing. I also worked very hard to succeed at it which means I persevere with difficult tasks, and I used my problem solving skills to work out how to do everything at the same time.

or if the child could already ride the bike you might say

"I have lots of opportunities to use bikes outdoors which helps me stay healthy and develop my physical skills"