PDA

View Full Version : the cheek of it

mabel
24-07-2009, 05:01 PM
Yesterday one of my mindees (who is such hard work --6yr old)
mum said not coming today as she was going to play with a friend,
great it gave me 1/2 day off as only baby booked in for afternoon.
So planned to go shopping.

Yes 8am come knock on the door, mum and mindee,
I said 'you said you were not coming today'
she said it got cancelled last night'

I said 'well you did not inform me' I have made plan now
she said ' we thought it would be okay your at home now'

For the first time, I told them No !! Just because I am in now
does not give someone this right, why do I feel so guilty?
does this happen to others?

venus89
24-07-2009, 05:06 PM
Good for you. I would have cowered and said 'er that's fine'.
I think we do need to stand up for our rights more - it's so easy to let yourself feel trampled on. And as you legitimately made other plans then you shouldn't feel guilty at all - you didn't turn him away to be a pain.

What was her reaction? x

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 05:07 PM
This has not happened to me, but surely as she is still paying for her son/ daughter to come to you, even though she planned to go elsewhere, you are not entitled to turn her down when she arrives. You're contracted to work those hours.

As I said though, it's never happened to me so I may be wrong. :o

mabel
24-07-2009, 05:10 PM
No I only charge her, when I have her.

I was working Wednesday and she did not show up at all.

youarewhatyoueat
24-07-2009, 05:11 PM
Difficult one, I would probably said ok but unfortunately i've made plans for this afternoon now so she will need picking up at 12 or 1. Can't see how you can charge when you're no longer available though.Mind you I admire that you did it I wouldn't have had the bottle, lol

Tatjana
24-07-2009, 05:17 PM
That is cheeky, good for you for saying 'no', I doubt i would have been so bold:blush:

Today I had mindees dad call round unannounced with his sister who was leaving the country tomorrow so she could see her niece for the first time - made me feel uncomfortable in my own home, they didn't even bother to say 'hello' to my own children :angry: Still I got mhy own back when mindee didn't want to go to either of them and clung onto me :laughing:

xx

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 05:17 PM
In that case, good on you! I would've been really put out if that had happened to me.

One of mine was due to arrive at 9:30 on monday and didn't show up. she never called to say he wouldn't be coming. I text her but got no reply. Same thing happened tuesday and i rang her at work in the end. she said he'll be spending the week at his nan's so wouldn't be coming all week. She sounded really put out when I asked her for the payment... which I am STILL waiting for 4 days later. I'll be posting her a letter in her door tonight. :angry:

mabel
24-07-2009, 05:21 PM
No I dont' ask for money if I don't mind.

This works both ways then, as some children I am happy not to have
those who are difficult (like this one)

I am very fortunate that I have 3 booked in regularly a week who do
pay a retainer whether they are here or not,

Tatjana
24-07-2009, 05:22 PM
In that case, good on you! I would've been really put out if that had happened to me.

One of mine was due to arrive at 9:30 on monday and didn't show up. she never called to say he wouldn't be coming. I text her but got no reply. Same thing happened tuesday and i rang her at work in the end. she said he'll be spending the week at his nan's so wouldn't be coming all week. She sounded really put out when I asked her for the payment... which I am STILL waiting for 4 days later. I'll be posting her a letter in her door tonight. :angry:

How dare you ask for payment? lol! What are these people like.:(

Daftbat
24-07-2009, 05:23 PM
This has not happened to me, but surely as she is still paying for her son/ daughter to come to you, even though she planned to go elsewhere, you are not entitled to turn her down when she arrives. You're contracted to work those hours.

As I said though, it's never happened to me so I may be wrong. :o

She would be entitled to turn her down under these circumstances so long as she doesn't charge for the hours not worked. I would have done exactly the same - we can't make ourselves available "just in case" they want their contracted hours. If we have been told that we are not needed we are perfectly entitled to make alternative arrangements.

cherry pink
24-07-2009, 05:54 PM
oh well done,
some parents seem to think we are at their beck and call whenever it suits them..they still dont see us as a legitimate business or that we have other children to look after...