PDA

View Full Version : under the sea

mushpea
24-07-2009, 07:43 AM
does anyone have any good websites with activity ideas for under the sea theme, i know of sparkle box but not of any others or does anyone have some good ideas of what to do for the theme please

Sarahjlonguk
24-07-2009, 08:03 AM
Hello

Try
www.communication4all.co.uk

Sarah

cabby
24-07-2009, 08:49 AM
i love this site

http://www.childfun.com/

go into activities lot of fish things in there:clapping:

Daddy Day Care
24-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Hi Mush dont know if you saw this link when I first posted it a couple of motnhs ago but they give away a free under the water cd-rom:

Become a virtual marine scientist and explore the Outer Bristol Channel!
Based on real biological and geological data collected by the National Museum Wales and the British Geological Survey.
This is a fun CD with lots of resources. Allow the pupils to explore the sea floor in our virtual environment and then test their knowledge in the associated activities linked to the curriculum. Also included are relevant lesson plans, activities and other resources available to download.

Features:

Visit the Seafood Cafe
Investigate habitats and animals
Teacher's notes
Lesson plans and classroom activities
Packed full of downloads, illustrations and photographs
Virtual tours, animations and video clips
And much, much more...

http://www.museumwales.ac.uk/en/1199/

Hope this is fo some use to you

Gareth
xx

katickles
24-07-2009, 09:22 AM
i love this site

http://www.childfun.com/

go into activities lot of fish things in there:clapping:

Thanks for this link - not seen this site before :)

katickles
24-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Hello

Try
www.communication4all.co.uk

Sarah

Again a new site added to my fav's - thanks for the link :)

singingcactus
24-07-2009, 09:23 AM
HI,
This site is quite good for printable activities.

http://www.homeschoolshare.com/hello_ocean_lapbook.php

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 10:00 AM
Hi Mushpea

I'm glad you put on this thread as I'm also doing a seaside theme this month and am having trouble finding resourses. So far we have made seagulls by painting grey footprints as the body and white handprints for the wings and then painting on a yellow beak and feet.

I've bought some sea themed shaped cookie cutters from ebay (there's a shell, fish, starfish, lobster, etc) for baking/playdough

Made seashells and turtles out of salt dough

Read books such as Seaside Poems, Max at the Seaside, etc.

We ate Birdseye Seaside Shapes with Fish, Sweetcorn & Peas for lunch with shell-shaped chips that we made by cutting out shapes from slices of potato and baking them in the oven served with peas that was the "seaweed"

I also made snap/pairs cards by printing off clip art pics of buckets and spades, jellyfish, shells, etc etc and laminating them.

We looked at postcards and travel brochures.... Still looking for more things though!

cabby
24-07-2009, 10:22 AM
we have a marine fish tank, with most of the fish from finding nemo in it:) all the mindees whatever age love it!! think id be quite lost without it now:blush:

mushpea
24-07-2009, 10:28 AM
wow some lovley ideas thanks for the websites i had forgot about the communication one , i love doing under the sea and we do it every summer so needed some fresh ideas.
feel free to keep 'em commin

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 10:40 AM
Karen we have a freshwater tropical aquarium and a brackish one with a figure-eight puffer fish in it. My hubby keeps threatening to kill all my freshwater fish so he can set it up as a marine tank! :eek: They are lovely, but so expensive. I won't let him near it now!

The kids love it and I have to clean all their sticky fingers off it each evening which are all along the bottom of the glass. They love giving the puffer fish prawns and hearing him crunch it with his teeth!!

cabby
24-07-2009, 10:57 AM
the first thing hubby does when he gets in at night is check the glass for finger prints....lol, he enjoys it when the older mindees are here as they are really fasinated with the fish, the corals and the crabs, shrimps etc and they ask him SOOOO many questions which i think he quite enjoys answering:laughing: :laughing:

mabel
24-07-2009, 05:13 PM
Popular subject !

we are doing a display, the lighthouse looks fab !

madasahatter
24-07-2009, 05:40 PM
This blog (http://filthwizardry.blogspot.com/) was mentioned by someone the other week. I love the playdough mermaids activity at the bottom of the page (a long way down).
I'm slowly plodding through quite a few of the ideas on there. The tinfoil watercourse was brilliant!

louise
24-07-2009, 06:56 PM
Depends what ages you have. My ds has just done seaside and water topic at school. He has just finished reception.
His book has a topic overview at start with the eyfs areas. Ill put the most relevent ones.

CLL- water poems, information writing, adventure story

Maths- measure length of the boat they made.

KUW- floating and sinking, water pics, Moving pics( they done a water colour pic and then added animals in crayon. when that was done they made either a sea creature or boat to put on a stick. a wavey cut along the page was made to move it)

CD- desing and make a boat that floats. moving pic(mentioned above) sketch of artefact they collected on beach trip. colour mixing.

This isnt so much under the sea but may help if u get stuck

OrlandoBelle
27-07-2009, 05:02 PM
I was looking through one of my son's activity books this morning and came across these pages. It was from the Usbourne book of Things to Make and Do.

Here is also a picture of the jellyfishes we did today!:)

manjay
27-07-2009, 05:13 PM
my dd has today painted a massive shipwreck to go in the middle of our wall display. I was going to start next week but got fed up of looking at my space pictures so started a week early;). I have some really big pieces of card so we are going to cover a piece with blue footprints to simulate the sea

Mouse
27-07-2009, 05:47 PM
We've made paper plate aquariums today.

You need 2 paper plates. Cut out the centre of one & stick clingfilm over the hole (on the inside of the plate).
Use the bit you cut out as a template to cut out a circle of blue card. Stick the card on the inside of the other plate (or you could just paint the middle of the other plate).

Decorate the blue card (or the painted middle of the plate) with fish shapes. We stuck sand at the bottom, green tissue paper seaweed & fish stickers.

Then stick the 2 halves of the plate together.

They look really good (I will figure out how to do photos on here!). I have little children here, hence the use of stickers, but older children could gget quite creative with their scenes.

The other thing we've done is an under the sea display on the cupboard under the stairs door. I've put blue backing paper & a green boarder. I've also put green tissue paper seaweed.

I printed off a picture of a fish, so we're all doing the same fish. The children are doing a one a day to put on the display - painted, crayons, glitter, scrumpled up tissue paper etc. They even took fish home for their parents to do...and surprisingly they did (and I think got quite competitive about it!)

OrlandoBelle
27-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Oooooohhhhh... think we'll be making aquariums tomorrow!!!! :D Thanks Mouse!

mushpea
27-07-2009, 07:12 PM
ooohh love the aquarium idea thanks, we are going to do jelly fish, take a paper plate, punch holes around the outside and thread string through the holes, thread pasta tubes or cherios on the string then paint the plate and give it a face .
am going do print of some fish shapes to paint and add glitter for glittery fish.
gonnna make fish shape biscuits
fish shape pizzas
going to an aquarium friday and the zoo wedensday which has fish at it.
gost some plastic fish for the water tray and also some fish and a rod.

mushpea
27-07-2009, 07:13 PM
[QUOTE=gost some plastic fish for the water tray and also some fish and a rod.[/QUOTE]

oh dear meant plastic fish and a rod, dont want you all thinking we got real fish to hook on rods:eek:

miffy
27-07-2009, 07:20 PM
Some great ideas - love the aquariums one - thank you

Miffy xx