PDA

View Full Version : Babysitting

Cazz
23-07-2009, 11:13 PM
I'm planning on offering a babysitting service as well as childminding and am just picking up on something I've just read in another thread.

It said that childminders are "covered for babysitting". Covered for what as you would be in other people's homes? And is this with NCMA, MM or both?

Also, if you do any babysitting do you put your earnings on your childminding accounts, if not how do you declare to tax man? (Hope that's not a really stupid question :blush: )

Finally, what's the normal rate for a babysitter to charge these days? I'm out of touch as I haven't been paid for it since I was a teenager - only done as a favour for friends and I'm lucky enough to have my mum who will babysit for free!

Carole x

charliegee
23-07-2009, 11:26 PM
how funny was just about to post the same question!

I think that if you are with NCMA your liability insurance covers babysitting away from the premisis - not sure about MM though.

I've been looking at charges and from a bit of netmums / gumtree research £5 seems norm before midnight (although this is from adverts including from uninsured students / teenagers etc.

I've seen a few other childminders websites which advertise they babysit off site and I've seen £8 ph before midnight and £10 after.

hope that helps!

ps sorry for my rubbish spelling and hope someone else more experienced could add some more light!

x

jaz
24-07-2009, 07:15 AM
I have just seen an advert for a 15 yr old babysitter, and she is charging £5.50 an hr.

Beggars belief she is on a higher wage than me and she has no qualifications :rolleyes:

J
x

Kes
24-07-2009, 07:30 AM
I charge £5 an hour but I know some people charge more. You can buy babysitting checklists from NCMA which you fill in, its like a mini risk assesment. This then covers you with their inurance.
As for the tax man any money that you make should go through the books but its a tricky one as I imagine most people don't bother. I have been writing mine down but I seem to be cancelling out most of the money made through claiming back travel costs. I'm registered with sitters and because of where I live I tend to travel to places 20 mins or more away. Don't mind too much because I get £6 an hour when I'm doing sitting through them.
Hope that answers most of your questions.

Kerry.

FizzysFriends
24-07-2009, 08:07 AM
NCMA insurance only covers babysitting if you use the NCMA babysitting checklist.

Average is £6 per hour around here, for Sitters I get £5.75 per hour with a minimum 4 hours

Bazza
24-07-2009, 08:27 AM
I run a recruitment agency for Nannies and part of the service we offer is babysiters (though we are currently reviewing if we will continue this service), but we do get a lot of enquiries from people who think they can make a lot of money from it with little or no qualification, I swear they all come from Vivastreet.co.uk!

The sad truth of it is that there are actually parents out there that will take an un-trained, non CRB checked person on to look after their children and will pay them a fair wage too.

I would suggest that you make the most of the fact that you are a trained professional childcarer and that you have police checks and can offer a safe secure service etc. Oh, and never underestimate the power of playing on peoples insecurities when advertising. Maybe something like "Anyone can be a Babysitter - So make sure yours is police checked" it plants the seed in parents minds and cuts out all your unskilled competition in one move. You should be able to charge more for your services hopefully.

As for money, anything you get you have to declare, the taxman is not bothered where it comes from (as long as its not illegal!), they are more concerned about their cut of it.

Good luck!

Pipsqueak
24-07-2009, 10:44 AM
how funny was just about to post the same question!

I think that if you are with NCMA your liability insurance covers babysitting away from the premisis - not sure about MM though.

I've been looking at charges and from a bit of netmums / gumtree research £5 seems norm before midnight (although this is from adverts including from uninsured students / teenagers etc.

I've seen a few other childminders websites which advertise they babysit off site and I've seen £8 ph before midnight and £10 after.

hope that helps!

ps sorry for my rubbish spelling and hope someone else more experienced could add some more light!

x

Yes your NCMA insurance covers you to babysit providing you use the Babysitting Checklist forms.

OrlandoBelle
24-07-2009, 11:29 AM
I charge £7 per hour before midnight for up to two children and £10 an hour after midnight.

I was babysitting for a lady 5 nights a week charging this much and put it through on my earnings xx

Cazz
24-07-2009, 05:29 PM
Thanks for your replies.

I assume it's only NCMA and not Morton Michel who cover babysitting then? I have to make the discussion this weekend who I am going to go with.

I didn't realise that babysitters charge that much :eek: I'm glad I have my mum who is very reasonable!

Carole x