PDA

View Full Version : I feel like giving up before i have even started

village kids
23-07-2009, 08:38 PM
:( I have done all my training course's,done most of my policy's & procedure's
Decorated whole house,bought saftey equipment etc,Re-arranged a load of my cupboards & furniture to make house safer,just have risk assesments to do.have got my medical form back from the doctors today & that's fine,do i post that Now or with my form's? I have full 1st aid kit as required but it's in two smaller 1st aid box's not one big one will this be a problem? My husband says i'm worrying about nothing! I cannot get to sleep at night for worry.
I will sit down tommorrow & fill ofsted form in but i am getting disheartened by all the paperwork i'm not sure if i have done anything right & don't know if i will get through my 1st inspection! Is this normal? Can anybody see anything i may have missed before i send my forms off? Thanks Claire:eek:

happytotschildminding
23-07-2009, 09:01 PM
Didn't want to read and run - sorry don't know about the 1st aid box. But you sound like you're mostly organised. Chill - everything will be fine. Its very daunting when your starting out and you feel like you're on your own, but there is lots of very friendly advice to be had here and I'm sure someone will be along soon who knows more than me!
Carol

Nicki L
23-07-2009, 09:09 PM
Hey hun, i am no expert but you dont need to worry. You sound like you have everything covered.

Worrying is normal as you know ofsted will visit - the lady i had was lovely.

As for the first aid box as long as it doesnt contain things you are not allowed to use then dont worry. i cant see two boxes being a problem.

Try and sleep!!! otherwise you will wear yourself out before you have started.

Good luck hun.

candy cat
23-07-2009, 09:16 PM
Hi i am pre reg,but had my ofsted visit and she was lovely...you sound really organised so get those forms sent.....do read up on eyfs though as you will get questions,but don't panic as not a test. good luck cx

ZoeAlli
23-07-2009, 09:18 PM
It sounds like you have everything in order. I am sure if the two smaller first aid boxes are kept together it won't be a problem. As for form I'm sorry I can't remember what you do, but I am sure someone will come along and post some advice for you.
When you start out in something new it is always daunting as you don't know what to expect! It sounds like you have done everything you need to. Try to have a bit of time out this weekend- this will help to clear your mind and re-focus. Don't give up at the first hirdle! hopefully when you are fully registered you will look back and think what was I worried about!!
Hope you get through this and stick with it. I'm sure there will be others to help where I can't!
Zoe:)

Pipsqueak
23-07-2009, 09:24 PM
It is a stressy time get ready for your pre-reg inspection but you need to now trust in yourself and your abilities and chill out a little bit otherwise you are as you say going to quit before you get started.

It sounds like you have thought of loads of stuff and are really prepared.
As to the two first aid boxes - hmm don't really know about that one BUT that is what your pre-reg is for - to help and guide you in the right direction. It would have to be something so extreme for them to not give you the go-ahead to register. THIS IS NOT A GRADED INSPECTION. If you get an action - they you have till your first graded to get it in place. The other alternative you have is give your local St Johns or your development worker a call and get their advice - that is what they are there for, or even NCMA.
OR you could just a bigger box - mark it as First Aid and et voila.
Your FA box doesn't have to be huge - it should only have in it the recommended list bits.

Relax, take a night of, come and explore the forum, watch tv, have a drink whatever but RELAX. You WILL be fine xxx:)

Sarahjlonguk
24-07-2009, 07:59 AM
Hello

I was really stressed with my pre-reg, but my inspector was really helpful and very informal. She didn't want to look at my 1st aid kit (can't see why having in 2 parts would be a problem as long as all is in place) didn't want to look at my policies (quite annoying, after many sleepless nights) she just said "thats all for your 1st inspection visit in 7 months but it's good to see your well prepared".
She had a very quick look around, boasted about her grandchildren (bless), had a cup of tea then asked ONE question on how I deal with behaviour with my own children...thats it!

I may of just been lucky to have a nice inspector.

I would send your health dec together with your ofsted form as oftsed misplaced my health dec (my doctors said they often lose them) and I had to get another one done.

Good Luck, I sure you will be fine.

oneofeach
24-07-2009, 10:12 AM
Try not to worry, easier said than done I know.

We have all been there and had the pre reg panic.

From what you say you are on top of things and will be great. Pre reg visit is so informal and inspector will not expect you to have done as much as you have!

:thumbsup:

Tatjana
24-07-2009, 10:23 AM
I think your husband is right, you are worrying about nothing!

You have done more than is neccesary for your pre-reg, you will pass with flying colours :thumbsup:

I too got myself flustered about the pre reg visit, when it was over, i really did wonder why...it was nowhere near as bad as I had worked myself up for, the inspector was really nice and helpful too!

Good luck...not that you will need it. :)

xx

village kids
27-07-2009, 06:21 PM
Just wanted to say a BIG thankyou to all who replied to my post.
I managed to stop worrying a bit & got a good night's sleep without waking up with night terror's lol!
Just filling Ofsted form in then going to send it off,thought i have worked so hard it would be a shame to waste it all:laughing:
Will keep you informed how it's going,Claire X

Tatjana
27-07-2009, 08:23 PM
Just wanted to say a BIG thankyou to all who replied to my post.
I managed to stop worrying a bit & got a good night's sleep without waking up with night terror's lol!
Just filling Ofsted form in then going to send it off,thought i have worked so hard it would be a shame to waste it all:laughing:
Will keep you informed how it's going,Claire X

:jump for joy: Yay! That's the spirit, go for it! :thumbsup:

xx

sophiestars
27-07-2009, 08:52 PM
Good for you. Like the others have said, it's honestly nothing to worry about, my inspector was lovely and they are not there to test you it's just their job to make sure everything is safe for the children.
At my pre-reg inspection my hallway wasn't finished, it had bare plasterboard, no proper floor, my garden was in a bad way (everything done and fixed now though!) and she still passed it - I was amazed!!
The fact that you were worrying shows that you want to do things right which is the sign of a good minder.

ORKSIE
27-07-2009, 08:59 PM
Only just seen this, as others have said, you seem very organised, so stop worrying, your inspector will want to help you, i'm sure you will be ok. There is as i'm sure you know a wealth of information on here, so if you get stuck someone will be able to help you. so sleep tight:thumbsup:

village kids
07-08-2009, 06:11 PM
Just thought i'd give you all an update! I have posted my ofsted form's today now the decorating is done & new carpets fitted & lots of paperwork,Now i'm starting to panic lol! ISeriousley though i need to brush up on my eyfs & do an activity planner (using eyfs) & meal planner does anybody know where i can look for one i can adapt to myself? my minds gone blank!:eek:

OoopsyDaisy
10-08-2009, 08:41 PM
hey, well done!

I am pre reg too, and I completely understand where you are coming from! I had my OFSTED visit back in June and am still waiting for my crb clearance...don't ask!

The night before my visit I was awake until 1am just going over and over my portfolio, you know you have done all you need to do but it's just an awful situation! You feel so nervous and under so much pressure to get everything right!

I devised my own meal planner just using basic, balanced recipes and did it in a table style with days of week listed and then listed breakfast, lunch and tea. For the activities, I really struggled and went on a few nursery websites where they linked the EYFS to some activities, some are blindingly obvious such as Knowledge and Understanding of the World and Creative Development but others I needed a bit of inspiration! Also www.sparklebox.co.uk is a great resource for ideas on activities. You will get there and after your initial inspection, you will wonder what you were worrying about!

Best of luck!

Amy x

village kids
11-08-2009, 06:54 PM
Thankyou amy for your post & link!
Claire:)

It's a small world
13-08-2009, 10:44 AM
Hi
Sorry I haven't written earlier Ive only just seen your post.I had my pre reg visit in Apr..I was just like you and panicked like crazy. Didn't sleep the week before Ofsted came :eek:
Just to let you know Ofsted won't judge you. I had a lovely lady (couldve been lucky ?) .She spent 10 mins looking around my house asked about fire blanket etc..first aid boxes should be fine as long as you have everything you need in them and out of reach of children but accessible to you.
As for paperwork she didn't really look at it but had most of it as thought it would save time if I had any enquiries (still doing paperwork now updating and adjusting)
They don't expect a showroom..remember your going to be looking after children and your house will get messy..don't go mad on doing it up unless necessary.
Ive bought lots of resources to cover the EYFS but using alot of my boys old toys or doubles too. (loads of resource website on here ..sparklebox/ DLTK etc.
I completed the 40+questions on the pre reg form for Ofsted coming and she asked about 4-5 mostly safeguarding and how I would handle a certain situation..didn't even look at form alot of it was common sense.

I know its easy to say but don't worry there are lots of people on here to help and give advice..
If you have missed anything Ofsted will point this out on their pre reg visit- remember you are not graded on the pre reg visit.

Hope I haven't gone on too much just wanted to tell you what happened to me at that stage.. Good luck and keep chatting...:)