PDA

View Full Version : Maximum Hours?????

Heaven Scent
23-07-2009, 02:27 PM
Does anyone out there know if there is a maximum number of hours that we are allowed to work per week - if so who restricts it - Ofsted??? Insurance Co???? - I thought that as self-employed people we work whatever hours we need to - also if it is restricted how can we be seeing to parents individual needs? - I know it would be irresponsible for us to work a totally ridiculous number of hours e.g around the clock - It was never mentioned to me on my ICP. With so little work around I found I am having to accept any hours a parent throws at me e.g one set with early starts and another with late finishes etc.

All but one of my mindees are P/T so it just cannot be helped. I however do not wish to do anything illegal.

Pipsqueak
23-07-2009, 02:40 PM
no there is no max hours applicable to a s/e person

Deb
23-07-2009, 02:42 PM
You dont even have to have breaks - handily enough. Working time directives dont apply to those that work in the home. Like servants - true story.

Heaven Scent
23-07-2009, 03:15 PM
This is what I thought but a minder from the group I go to told me that - I could only work 40 something hours per week - and it had something to do with Ofsted or our minding insurance???? - she wasn't sure - I think it was because I picked up some work for a drop at a school 2 mornings per week where she drops - the thing is its a 6.30 start and I also work till 6 most evenings - I think she was peeved but the guy came to see me months and months ago when I had no work and then he didn't re-appear but he said when they were ready for a minder he would choose me so long as the figures worked out. This particular minder only does 4 days pw and doesn't do till 6 so I think it was just a case of sour grapes. I was worried though when she said Insurance!!!!!! But they cover us for babysitting so if we do that then there can't possibly be a problem with maximum no of hours.

I'm Irish, a woman, a mother & a Catholic so I have a free licence to worry & feel guilty and as I love a bargain then I get great value out of my licence and worry like mad!!!!!!!!!!! :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Tatjana
23-07-2009, 03:20 PM
I don't see how we can only be allowed to work '40 something' hrs a week when most of us open 8am-6pm, that's 50 hrs already.

Sounds like it was definately a case of sour grapes!

xx

Bananabrain
23-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Yeh but everyone knows childminding isn't 'work' is it?:laughing:

dunno about everyone else but I've been sitting on my bottie drinking coffee all week.:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

Hebs
23-07-2009, 05:41 PM
how can we be limited to 40 hours per week when most parents work 38 hours plus travel time plus drop off/pick up times??

I can work 48 hours in 2 days alone :thumbsup: as i do overnight care :D

Nicki L
23-07-2009, 07:49 PM
Yeh but everyone knows childminding isn't 'work' is it?:laughing:

dunno about everyone else but I've been sitting on my bottie drinking coffee all week.:ROFL1: :ROFL1: :ROFL1:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: loving it!!!

sarah707
23-07-2009, 08:13 PM
Don't work too hard!! xx

Heaven Scent
23-07-2009, 10:44 PM
Ok mum - its only 2 mornings pw.