PDA

View Full Version : Please help!! How would you charge?

Cazz
22-07-2009, 06:47 PM
I need some help from some experienced childminders!

I've had my first enquiry (number given to them by another childminder who couldn't accommodate) and wondered how you would charge them?

It would be 2 days a week for a 3 year old and her 9 mth old brother. The thing is, mum is a nurse and the days and hours would be different each week. I.e. some weeks it may be Mon & Wed and the next it could be Tues & Thurs. She works 6 hour or 12 hour shifts (although minding would be for a maximum of 8.00am until 5.30pm as Dad would have them outside of these hours).

Also, dad finishes at 1.00pm on a Wednesday so if that was a minding day presumably I would only charge for 1 and a half days that week?

The 3 year old goes to Nursery 3 mornings a week which may or may not fall on a minding day - would you still charge while she is at Nursery?

As I have a 19 mth old daughter I would be unable to take any more under 5's and would have to keep any possible working days (which may be all 5!) available which is why I'm unsure how to charge.

Also, on Wednesday should I go into great details or treat it like an informal chat? Mum, dad and the children are coming round so should I concentrate more on the children or the parents?

I've got a holiday booked for the half term week in October. Should I tell them at the first visit or wait and see if they want me? I don't want to put them off as October is when she's returning to work!

Finally, if they want me should I take a deposit to keep the place once my registration is through. If so, how much?

Thanks for any help.

Carole x

grindal
22-07-2009, 07:01 PM
I think it depends how random the days are likely to be. If it is any day then basically she is asking you for full time care, as you will be unable to take on any other mindees to fill the gaps. However, you could maybe explain this and compromise at 2 and a half or three days per week. I would charge full amount for Weds regardless of Dads early collection - again, you are not going to fill a wed pm space especially when it is available some weeks and not others.
I think I would meet with mum and explain the problem her shift work would cause. Maybe she could get in touch with work and make her days a bit less random. As for nursery, if you drop off and collect you are on call and therefore should charge the full amount. I am always very up frony with booked holidays, I appreciate being told holiday dates by parents as soon as possible so do the same back. I take 2 weeks refundable deposit to secure a place, which I keep till the end of the contract.
Hope that helps a bit.

Baildon bears
22-07-2009, 07:06 PM
When I started minding i had a nurse doing flexy hours enquiring, but I decided it was to messy for me and walked away. Its good that there are two children, but I would see if they will commit to a three day minamum reason being you cant fill other days with anyone else, you need to charge full days even if it falls on dads half day thats not your problem. If you charge three days then it wont matter if child is a nursery or not you still get paid. you need to give and take, but they wont find anyone who would be propared to be that flexable.

brightstar
22-07-2009, 07:07 PM
I mind for a shift worker, she never knows what shifts she'll be working, when she does they can be changed at the last minute. But she pays me for the full week 7.30 til 3pm, so I am always available for her, even though she usually only uses me a maximum of 3 days. I also take her 4 other kids to school. She is grateful to have a reliable childminder, and I'm grateful for the work.:)

Mouse
22-07-2009, 07:42 PM
I mind two children for a shift worker. She works two or three days a week, but has made an arrangement with work that that she will only work her days over Tue-Fri. Even though it means I have to keep 4 days available for her children, I charge a minimum of 3 days, If she only works two days one week, she still pays me for 3. I think it's a fair compromise - I get paid a decent amount, but she's not paying for too many days that she doesn't use. Once every couple of months she does have to work a Monday & if I have the space to have her children, I charge the extra day on top of the minimum 3.

One of the children is at nursery & I charge full fee while she's there as I drop her off & collect her, and I am responsible for her while she is there.

What I would do is work out what is the most you could charge these parents (ie. 5 full days), what an average week is likely to be, and decide on a figure in between that you are happy with. Tell them the amount you could actually charge, so when you tell them what you will charge they think they are getting a bargain :thumbsup:

Cazz
22-07-2009, 08:47 PM
Are you saying charge for 3 full days even though they may only use me for two half days some weeks? That sounds a bit pricey to me but I can see why you are saying it.

I'm thinking along these lines at the moment (may change my mind though!):

My normal hourly rate will be £3.20 per hour with an increase of 20p each April.

If I charged this family £4.00 per hour, per child for 19 hours per week (i.e. 2 days at 8.00 - 5.30pm which is the maximum they would require) is that being too reasonable? I'm thinking the higher hourly rate and the 2 full days would compensate a bit towards loss of other earnings. I could also say that I would hold this price until April 2011 so no increase for them next year?

I think that this would be a good step into childminding for me and obviously as they are both from the same family then I would get a week off when they are on holiday. Of course, I could still take before and after schoolers and over 5's in the holidays (so this wouldn't apply then!).

Carole x

Cazz
22-07-2009, 08:52 PM
[QUOTE=Mouse;480023)

What I would do is work out what is the most you could charge these parents (ie. 5 full days), what an average week is likely to be, and decide on a figure in between that you are happy with. Tell them the amount you could actually charge, so when you tell them what you will charge they think they are getting a bargain :thumbsup:[/QUOTE]

Good thinking! If I charged them for 5 days at my normal hourly rate for 9 and a half hours a day it would be £304.00. What I've just mentioned above comes to £152.00 so that's half the price.

If that's what I decide to charge I'll definetly tell them these figures!

Thanks for your help!

Carole x

Chatterbox Childcare
22-07-2009, 09:06 PM
I would charge both for 3 full days. They are lucky with that as you are holding 5 for them

If the quibble then they aren't worth the bother.

Baildon bears
22-07-2009, 09:30 PM
Are you saying charge for 3 full days even though they may only use me for two half days some weeks? That sounds a bit pricey to me but I can see why you are saying it.

I'm thinking along these lines at the moment (may change my mind though!):

My normal hourly rate will be £3.20 per hour with an increase of 20p each April.

If I charged this family £4.00 per hour, per child for 19 hours per week (i.e. 2 days at 8.00 - 5.30pm which is the maximum they would require) is that being too reasonable? I'm thinking the higher hourly rate and the 2 full days would compensate a bit towards loss of other earnings. I could also say that I would hold this price until April 2011 so no increase for them next year?

I think that this would be a good step into childminding for me and obviously as they are both from the same family then I would get a week off when they are on holiday. Of course, I could still take before and after schoolers and over 5's in the holidays (so this wouldn't apply then!).

Carole x
Personally I think you are being to resonable, I would hold out for the three days. My parents pay til 4.30 everyday eventhough most days they pick up at 3.30, but its up to you, you live and learn.

angiemog
23-07-2009, 07:42 AM
One of my mindees I have 3 days but they are flexible days, the parents pay me for 5 days so I'm available when they need me. The parents do get help with their childcare fees so it's only a few pounds extra thay pay me. xx

The Juggler
23-07-2009, 09:19 AM
you have to do what you can afford. If you need to fill 5 days then you need to charge for 5 or tell them you can't afford to keep the days open. Then you might reach a compromise - maybe 4 days.

Otherwise add together total/or average monthly hours they will need you (ignoring days dad might collect, assume you are) then charge for those. Again, if they need flexiblility retainer for the other days.

However, if you need to fill other days you need to let them know this. However, 2 children for 3 days might be better than losing them then only finding one full-timer and you get some time off!

I think it will be a financial decision for you in the end.

Good luck LOL