PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed for Over 8's

OrlandoBelle
22-07-2009, 03:54 PM
I have my first mindee over the age of 8 starting tomorrow and would like some advice. He is 8 years old and I have a son who is 9, so hopefully they will get on great (hopefully!!). Thing is; at the moment all my son wants to do is play out with his friend's or sit playing his computer (makes me so mad). I was wondering, is it OK for me to let the mindee play out with my son and his friend if it is just outside the front of my house? We live in a very quiet cul-de-sac and they can be seen from my kitchen window.

Also can anyone recommend any activities I can set for them? I think it's going to be so hard when I am going to have 2 much younger children here and finding the right balance with them all. What do you all do with older children?

Tam's Tribe
22-07-2009, 04:01 PM
Hi . . . I have a similar situation, my son is 9 and his friend also 9 will be coming to me from September and I asked Ofsted if he could go upstairs with my son to play playstation (in unregistered room) and mindees mum says she also doesnt mind if he goes to the shop (just down the road) quickly with my son and I was advised by Ofsted that that was fine but recommended that I get permission slip signed by parent but personally I will not let any child in my care out of my sight (except for playing upstairs if they want quiet time).

I hope that helps.

Daftbat
22-07-2009, 04:02 PM
I have let some over eights play outside for a while so long as they are easily supervised through the window, and that the parents are happy, and that I am happy - some children you know will be ok - others not.

My older mindees all tend to split off into their individual groups and they are great at co-ordinating craft with the little ones. I have always found them a great help to be honest. They do eat you out of house and home though!:laughing:

OrlandoBelle
22-07-2009, 04:12 PM
Yeah, I am off to Asda later to stock up on extra food for them!

I would rather that my son just plays with the boy and not his own friends tomorrow when he comes as you know what they're like... they might all decide to split up and the boy might get left on his own. The poor thing has been bullied a lot recently at school and with his friends near his home. They threw all of his clothes in the swimming pool in the house opposite. Poor thing. I was bullied at school and know exactly how it feels, so I really REALLY want him and my son to get on and play nicely.

I think I will write up a permission slip for playing outside. I would not let them go up the shop as I don't like my own son doing that, but I think just in our cul-de-sac will be fine as I can watch them easily.

Perhaps I could get them baking cakes together. I have lots of board games and things for them too. Fingers crossed they'll be ok.